A New Lap Top

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Flexo
Resident

Re: A New Lap Top

Postby Flexo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:41 am

But that is the thing, the Apple fans need to learn to separate opinions from facts. You can state you like Apple better all you want but you cannot say it is faster than a computer that has a faster CPU. Facts remain facts, even if Donald Trump says otherwise.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:05 pm

I agree.
Gamers have always prefered PCs over Macs for that exact reason.
Lavader,
Just because you prefer a Mac, it does not mean Windows PC are,as you say, rubbish because Windows PCS cover a much wider spectrum than Mac. I have one that cost me 125 euros which I bought to have plugged permanently into my TV. It looks like a pen drive and Apple do not have a comparative product so on that narrow perspective, Windows is better. it does exactly what I want it to do and very well.
There are over features that Macs don't have that might put me off when I purchase my next desktop ot laptop. No touch screen on either or no way of separating the screen from the keyboard or some form of bending it back to form a tablet so other reasons why Mac isn't necessarily better.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:13 pm

And Windows Laptops come in a much wider range of pretty colours :lolno:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Well, there you go. As I didn't understand a word of your post, Mark, you can see why I like Macs. You switch them on and they work. Why would I want to plug my computer permanently in to a television set? Don't tell me. It's obviously something people do ...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:51 pm

HarryJ wrote:And Windows Laptops come in a much wider range of pretty colours :lolno:
There you go another reason why Windows is better than a Mac.

Maybe we would take you more seriously if you didn't google and then wasn't selective with the results it throws up.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Lavanda wrote:Well, there you go. As I didn't understand a word of your post, Mark, you can see why I like Macs. You switch them on and they work. Why would I want to plug my computer permanently in to a television set? Don't tell me. It's obviously something people do ...
Well, as with everything a little knowledge goes a long way.... it is not always as simple as you switch them on and they work even with a Mac. We use them for a wide range of activities and sometimes key programmes don't work on a Mac.

I have nothing against MACs, in fact I am considering buying one.However, when my current one needs replacing, it seems my requirements are much wider than yours so a lot of thought will need to go into the purchase.

In fact, if I only wanted to use it for getting online or word processing, I wouldn't waste money on either a Mac or Windows PC as these days a Chromebook would suffice.

BTW, I don't need to switch my Computers on as just touching the mouse or keyboard wakes it up in straight away. Even the dongle one connected to the TV, wakes up as soon as i touch the air mouse after not having been used for several weeks

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Wow! That sounds so 22nd century. :shock:

I use my Mac for a whole range of things from web site design and build to image manipulation and PhotoShop, QuarkXpress, book writing and design and all the usual graphic design things. That was my profession — graphic designer and, later, I taught graphic design. I'm baffled by 'Word Processing'. I'm with Spike Milligan on that one. My word processor is my brain. :lol: :lol: :lol: However, I put the contents of my brain on the screen and, sometimes, in print by typing into a programme like QuarkXpress, Pages or even TextEdit. I HATE WORD. It's too limiting in it's look and design but then it's not a design tool. It's a typing tool.

Anyway, I've got to stop here as, really, all the techno-speak is beyond me and I am not allowed to leave computers and telly on all the time. We're on solar power. Different world in the campo. :?

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:29 pm

markwilding wrote:
HarryJ wrote:And Windows Laptops come in a much wider range of pretty colours :lolno:
There you go another reason why Windows is better than a Mac.

Maybe we would take you more seriously if you didn't google and then wasn't selective with the results it throws up.
Yes Mark totally have to agree with all you say, I have to bow to your vastly superior knowledge gained on your 27 pcs, 10 macs uncountable tablets and phones....wont keep you as you surely must be busy watching 4k streaming TV via your wifi kettle on one of your half dozen oled prototype holographic 100" screens all supplied via a 5gb download pipe from your dedicated South Korean Server Farm. :clap:

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Lavander,
As i have said it's horses for course. You are happy with your Mac. I'm not criticising Macs, i'm defending Windows.

As you say you don't understand why i have a windows dongle so really you shouldn't comment necause you will start sounding like a luddite . But to enlighten you, it's and alternative to the Android dongles and set top boxes for TV which members post about in the computer section and smaller than a mobile phone. In other words it's an alternative to a video player.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:10 pm

I have just bought a Chromebook, 13.3 inches to take out and about, very lightweight but robust. It has no windows just internet and email. The battery lasts 10 hours

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:19 pm

HarryJ wrote:
Yes Mark totally have to agree with all you say, I have to bow to your vastly superior knowledge gained on your 27 pcs, 10 macs uncountable tablets and phones....wont keep you as you surely must be busy watching 4k streaming TV via your wifi kettle on one of your half dozen oled prototype holographic 100" screens all supplied via a 5gb download pipe from your dedicated South Korean Server Farm. :clap:
As I said I would take you more seriously if you stuck to the facts
it's 3 PCs 4 laptops and 1 Macbook.

I do like the sound of the oled prototype holographic 100' screen though. I haven't got one of those. Do you know where can i get one?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:31 pm

maureenscot wrote:I have just bought a Chromebook, 13.3 inches to take out and about, very lightweight but robust. It has no windows just internet and email. The battery lasts 10 hours
Yeap a great invention.internet etc without the hassle.i got mine after getting rid of my old desktop. mind you i havnt seen any in shops over here.

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Anyone had a play with a Raspberry PI?
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

HarryJ
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby HarryJ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:33 pm

markwilding wrote:
HarryJ wrote:
As I said I would take you more seriously if you stuck to the facts
it's 3 PCs 4 laptops and 1 Macbook.
Once again I have to apologise if the numbers are incorrect....it's easy to get it wrong as rereading your posts I'm sure you mentioned on more than one occasion ipads and ipods and iphones for you and all the family, maybe i'm reading "selective" posts!!! In one post it was 5pcs btw.
Also I thought inferring Lavanda was appearing like a "luddite" a tad rude...

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:56 pm

HarryJ wrote:
Once again I have to apologise if the numbers are incorrect....it's easy to get it wrong as rereading your posts I'm sure you mentioned on more than one occasion ipads and ipods and iphones for you and all the family, maybe i'm reading "selective" posts!!! In one post it was 5pcs btw.
Also I thought inferring Lavanda was appearing like a "luddite" a tad rude...
Yes thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot the mini PC plugged into my TV. Your exaggeration wasn'tquite as bad as I first thought.
My point wasn't to boast as it can be a lttle embarrassing having to explain why i have so many gadgets. To give a little context, i also have an Amazon fire stick, 4 now TV boxes, 2 Apple TVS , 2 Chromecast dongles, 1Android dongle and a partridge in a pear tree.
Your posts are nothing compared to my wife's constant nagging when I buy another one.
BTW,
Lavander and I go back many years on the forum and I respect her opinion so a little ribbing between us shouldn't be taken too seriously

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Can we please get back on topic instead of picking holes in each others posts.

Sid

Flexo
Resident

Postby Flexo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:So even back then your quote was wildly out of touch with reality :thumbup:

But if you want it in the here and now.....Macbook pro No.1 .....Your all important bench mark tests on P.2 where the Macbook pro emphatically is at the top.......

https://www.cnet.com/topics/laptops/best-laptops/
Well. I understand you are not a computer professional, I have no clue what you have been doing since 2010 and you obviously didn't read my post either but to put it simply in a language you understand:

2010... is... over... stop... repeat... 2010... is... over..

If you don't know what 7 years mean in the computer industry I suggest you read up on Moore's law. I can google it for you, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

which essentially states a doubling of the computational power every 18 months (or revised to 2 years as we reached the electromagnetic limits of the chemical structure of the superconductors).

If you send a link about which computer was the best buy 7 years ago you can automatically assume it will be at least 3.5 times as expensive as the best buy this year. Apple complicates things even further as they are a closed system using only certain hardware. Fact of the matter is, the computer I am writing this on is significantly faster than the Macbook in your link and it cost a small fraction of the price in the article and this computer is aaaaalready old.

Apple is no longer relevant in the computer industry because they are more concerned with which colors they will have on their next fitness tracker than what hardware they are putting into their computers.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:27 pm

I think we have all had enough of this pathetic bickering.

Thread closed.

Sid