Bogus Gas Appliance Inspectors!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Free at Last
Resident

Re: Bogus Gas Appliance Inspectors!!

Postby Free at Last » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:46 pm

It already is installed in some places. Several years ago we stayed in an apartment in Sevilla which had full gas central heating, and natural gas is also available in some areas of our town, and neighboring ones, where properties have been built more recently.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:47 pm

There's a list available here of all the towns and cities in Andalucia where natural gas was available as at the end of 2013 - although I'm quite sure that not all homes in any of those places would be connected.

https://www.agenciaandaluzadelaenergia. ... icados.pdf

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:26 pm

I would be afraid to have gas. Too many explosions for my liking.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Mark, I was interested to read your earlier post about piped natural gas up your way. We've a similar situation where the urbanisation currently has a huge supply tank from which each home takes an individual supply from Repsol. A different company are now about to put mains into an adjacent road and from there into the urbanisation, and then into the separate buildings - taking over the supply from Repsol.

This is causing some concerns among the residents, about whether or not our existing boilers (Ferroli combis supplying instant hot water, and a conventional central heating system through radiators) will function properly. There are many scenarios being tossed around, mainly by the Spanish owners, and mainly that the existing boilers will not function with natural gas and will need replacing. The existing boilers are about 12 years old, work perfectly, and are easily serviced.

It is likely as usual that many if not all of these concerns will turn out to be urban myths, but I just wondered if you had had any problems when you converted ?

Parilla

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Parilla wrote: It is likely as usual that many if not all of these concerns will turn out to be urban myths, but I just wondered if you had had any problems when you converted ?
Parilla
I recall a similar situation in the UK when natural gas replaced the old coal tar gas. As I remember, all appliances running on the 'old gas' had a small modification done to be useable on the 'new gas'. It certainly did not mean wholesale condemning of appliances and having to buy new.

Edit, Sorry, this has nothing to do with Bogus Gas Inspectors!!!
Gerry

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:25 pm

We used to have tanks of gas on the roof for all the flats and then natural street gas was put into the street.

The gas people came round when we switched over and fiddled with the gas and it all worked fine.

And in the spirit of the thread we had a bogus gasman at the door, ages ago, all orange and Repsol-like with a clip board. But he was obviously a fraudster who had done little research as he came in he asked where the gas bottle was. Big mistake for (as mentioned above) we have piped gas, ergo no bottles. I told him to sling his hook and my normally placid hound started to growl quite menacingly and he scarpered.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:20 am

Parilla wrote:Mark, I was interested to read your earlier post about piped natural gas up your way. We've a similar situation where the urbanisation currently has a huge supply tank from which each home takes an individual supply from Repsol. A different company are now about to put mains into an adjacent road and from there into the urbanisation, and then into the separate buildings - taking over the supply from Repsol.

I don't remember the exact details but I do seem to remember there had to be slight modifications to the boilers. We had our boiler installed around 2004.
The biggest deterrent was cost and there were two proposals 6-7 years apart the first one was voted down and the second one was voted through with a temporary increase in monthly community payments to pay for it

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:30 am

I seem to think that it is just a jet change when changing the type of gas, could be wrong however.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Olive mentioned a while back a five yearly inspection and we always get a letter confirming that beforehand. Years ago people did just turn up but not now.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Lyric wrote:I seem to think that it is just a jet change when changing the type of gas, could be wrong however.
Correct swapping from bottled gas to piped gas or vice versa should only necessitate a jet change.
I think you could get away without changing the jet but the gas would not burn so efficiently.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks for all the input, and my apologies for the post highjack - I think I was just getting a bit fed up with all the doomsday scenarios coming from my neighbours.

Parilla