Tax Advice - Someone must know

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jonathon
Tourist

Tax Advice - Someone must know

Postby jonathon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:02 am

Hi everyone

I'm having trouble finding a good accountant who can help with my situation.

I moved to Benalmadena from the UK, but I still work in the UK for my company, I just work from home here in Spain, but every place I have asked for advice here gives me a different answer about tax, the consensus seems to be you pay tax in then EU country where you earn it, so have been going with that, but with this Brexit nonsense and the fact I'm here for the long term I need to make sure I'm playing a straight game.

Can anyone help or recommend a solid english speaking accountant who will know the answers and be able to sort it all out?

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Tax Advice - Someone must know

Postby Trooperman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 am

There's one I use in Marbella: UK company with local english speaking staff. I'll send you a pm with the link.
nil illegitimum carborundum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:13 pm

It is correct to say that income is taxed in the country in which it is earned. However it is also taxed in the country of residence. Pension income is one of the exceptions to this.

To avoid double taxation, the tax paid in the UK can be offset against the tax due in Spain.

Sid

jonathon
Tourist

Postby jonathon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 pm

Thanks Sid, thats also how I understand it
Just want to get my affairs in order, and god knows what brexit will do to it, I can see me paying twice

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:47 pm

If your a spanish tax resident. Ie you live here full time cant you just file a double taxation form in the uk get your wage paid with no tax taxen off and then just pay your income tax in spain each year.or is it different when its an actual wage rather than a pension?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Yes, income arising in the UK has to be taxed in the UK irrespective of residency. Pensions are the main exception.

You can't do it the other way round because the country of residence takes precedence, so you cannot deduct the Spanish tax from the UK tax.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Thanks. Intresting to know

fincalospinos
Resident

Postby fincalospinos » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:09 am

Just a slight sidetrack on this subject, if you are living in Spain but earning your salary in the UK, paying your UK and Spanish tax under the double taxation system, are you able to join the Autonomo in Spain for things like health cover and Spanish pension contributions ?
Hardworking resident !!

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 am

Jonathon, I visited this outfit in Arroyo de la Miel:
http://www.c-a-p.es

I'd been a non-resident holiday-home visitor for a couple of decades and, although still non-resident, can now stay when I like so I thought I'd better make sure I was watertight. I wasn't as it turned out. They were recommended and used by a lot of English-speaking (quite a few radar avoiders suddenly spooked by Brexit) neighbours. C and P identified and sorted out the wrinkles in a straightforward manner. Now that I'm up to date (and thanks to clear instructions on this forum) I've found my feet sufficiently to deal with my tax liabilities myself and save money, but I can recommend them for at least that initial setup and many of my neighbours prefer to continue to leave the hassle to them (I don't mind mild hassle if it saves me money).

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:20 am

fincalospinos wrote:Just a slight sidetrack on this subject, if you are living in Spain but earning your salary in the UK, paying your UK and Spanish tax under the double taxation system, are you able to join the Autonomo in Spain for things like health cover and Spanish pension contributions ?
We did that but left it to a Lawyer as it seemed complicated. We were listed as being an inter company transfer ? Of course the laws could be different now, this was in the 90s.

Agree with bassleft, if complicated why have the hassle, pay someone and enjoy life. Just like you would a house cleaner. Just make sure you get the right person to do it :D