Applying for a Blue Badge in Spain

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gerrynag
Resident

Applying for a Blue Badge in Spain

Postby gerrynag » Wed May 22, 2019 3:03 pm

I wonder if anyone has applied for a disabled parking Blue Badge in Spain and how easy they found the process.
My wife is still using her Blue Badge from the UK, but that runs out later this year, so we really need to apply for a Spanish Blue Badge.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Applying for a Blue Badge in Spain

Postby elusive » Wed May 22, 2019 4:17 pm

Pretty hard and time consuming from what ive read. Family member had one in the uk .but the levels of disabilty needed are far higher here and ive heard of people waiting literally years to get them. .i believe you go through social services at your townhall. Be wary of using a uk card as a spanish resident as our gestor told us its illegal.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Unless you are permanently wheelchair bound, it isn't going to be easy. Also it can take over a year to get one.

There are other advantages like lower income tax and reduced IVA on new cars.

Sid

gerrynag
Resident

Postby gerrynag » Wed May 22, 2019 5:43 pm

My wife can walk short distances, but anything more than about 5 minutes, she needs either her wheelchair or some sort of support.

I have seen several people with the badges who are not wheelchair bound, but have limited mobilty like my wife.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 pm

I am sure my mother's blue badge has a EU logo on it

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Yeah they do. So they can be used and recognised in other E.U countries when on hols.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm

gerrynag wrote:My wife can walk short distances, but anything more than about 5 minutes, she needs either her wheelchair or some sort of support.

I have seen several people with the badges who are not wheelchair bound, but have limited mobilty like my wife.
You just have to make sure that when you go to the assessment you turn up in a wheelchair even if you can just manage without one. It worked recently for a friend of mine.

Sid