IKEA Malaga

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Trooperman
Resident

IKEA Malaga

Postby Trooperman » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:01 am

Has anyone had problems getting stuff delivered from IKEA in Malaga?

As you can probably surmise, I am having problems (promises, promises, promises!) and a quick trawl of the internet shows plenty of dissatisfaction, but I thought I'd ask this illustrious forum for any information/opinions it might have.

I won't, at this stage, go into details, but I think I have unearthed a fundamental flaw in their workings inasmuchas there is an IKEA standard delivery charge for Malaga province (and presumably these observations apply to their other stores in other provinces in Spain) that applies whether you buy - for example - a candle or a houseful of furniture and want it delivered. €49 in my case. The transport is contracted out to a third party (parties?) and it seems they are geared up for neither "candles" nor big furniture deliveries (to use my analogy). The transport company would, no doubt, be delighted to deliver candles all day long (at €49) to addresses near to Malaga, but ask them to deliver big items to an address an hour's drive from the store and the transport company contemplates a loss and looks for a reason to avoid making the delivery.

Any fellow sufferers out there?
nil illegitimum carborundum

Free at Last
Resident

Re: IKEA Malaga

Postby Free at Last » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:33 pm

We bought a couple of wardrobes, a chest of drawers and a bookcase from them a couple of years ago, and paid for their delivery and assembly service. We had no problems with delivery (although they did arrive at the very end of the delivery slot we'd been given). One of the items turned out to be faulty and they took care of notifying the store and returning it to them (which we would have had to do ourselves had we not used the delivery service) and the store gave us a new delivery slot within the timescale the delivery person told us to expect. So no complaints from me.

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 am

When I bought some furniture recently at Ikea Malaga the lady who did the wardrobe design work on the computer told me that there were two options for delivery - either the 'official' Ikea delivery service (49 € to anywhere in Malaga province), or an outfit called HelloVan, who have a spot just outside the exit (to the right as you go out I think). She kind of implied that I would be better off with the latter option, so with some trepidation I paid my bill and ventured out to chat with the HelloVan folks.

I was put off a bit at first when they told me I had to install the HelloVan app (I always have an aversion to doing this, especially for a single transaction). But having done that, everything went smoothly and they charged me 35 € to collect all the items (lots of them) from the Ikea pick up point (I'd already paid Ikea 9 € to have them pick the items for me) and deliver them to my home. They arrived that same afternoon as promised and brought all the items into my home. So in the end I was actually quite impressed with their service. The only thing they could do with is a table for you to sit at while you do the HelloVan app stuff, but that's a minor point really.

*Edit to add: I don't think the guys who delivered my stuff actually work for HelloVan, they were just using the app. But they do seem to be reliable.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:03 pm

A tacit admission that their own offer was not good eh?
I'm still waiting for my stuff and if the nightmare ends (in whatever fashion) I'll tell the forum what's been going on. Meantime, trustpilot has IKEA Malaga at 1 star in their rankings with some devastating comments.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Not quite right about the candles. I get frequent emails advertising delivery from IKEA Family (their loyalty card - free coffee in the shop if interested) and just checked their site to see it's now starting at €4 for orders under €30/25kg. Full details on this page: https://www.ikea.com/es/es/customer-ser ... ub06149161

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Yeh! I know! I was being "inventive" in my arguments - a bit like Boris Johnson! I bought a flatpack kitchen - thousands of euros in total - and every time it is supposedly "put out for delivery", it never arrives, no attempt is made and I get a standard reply asking me to contact the 900XXXXXX number to rearrange delivery. Frustrating and doing their business no good whatsoever.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:08 pm

It's probably contracted out to the invariably awful Malaga office of Correos Express - I always curse Amazon when I see that company next to any order confirmation.

Weescottie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Weescottie » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 pm

We’ve always had great service from Ikea Malaga. They are very responsive to Facebook messenger so maybe give that a try. We’ve had everything from kitchens to candles and am well impressed with their delivery options. The 4 euro delivery for small items is brilliant. Order and stuff is with you within a couple of days, they send you an email to tell you delivery time and follow up with phone call when they’re 20 mins away.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:13 pm

delivery from €4 ?? oh god .. dont tell the wives :silent: :silent: :silent:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Well! Here we go again. The 5pm to 9pm delivery slot that was supposed to bring my kitchen has now passed with the anticipated result of "nada". Their web site showed it as a failure at 8.30pm so what's that all about? No phone call. Nada.

I've now had enough and I'll be in the Malaga store for a refund of the thousands of euros I've paid them. Should be interesting eh?

But if I go back to my original point about the €49 delivery charge, I really do believe that if I was a transport company, expected to obtain a larger van than normal (as explained to me by IKEA complaints' department as being necessary), load it up with 150 items (OK some are only doors, hinges etc), send it to the extreme edge of the province (it's €49 euros for anywhere in Malaga), with two guys to carry it into my house AND only get €49 from IKEA to do all that (and that's assuming the whole amount goes to the transport company), I think I would find a reason not to do it and incur what must be a thumping great loss. But that attitude, if correct, will incur damage to IKEA's brand and business. Tail wagging the dog, but clearly poor and ineffective management in IKEA, both nationally and in the Malaga store.

What will I do after I get my refund? Who knows. The libro de reclamaciones will certainly be requested and filled in. Will I denounce them? Probably not, because of the time it might all take and possible trips to courts in Malaga if they contest whatever amount I seek as compensation. Every and any web complaints forum will be examined (Trustpilot for example). But that's about the limit I suspect.

So frustrating.....and I'd strongly suggest looking at alternative transport if you can't stay away from IKEA and as suggested by Terry Tibb's post earlier.,

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:02 am

Trooperman........have a rant on their Twitter and Facebook pages......often produces very swift and positive results....they hate negativity in the public forums
I So Bella tis you

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:34 am

have a rant on their Twitter and Facebook pages
Will do. But I've just been promised, over the phone and with a bit of umming and erring, a refund within 3 days. I feel utterly humiliated by them: phoning to ask why the delivery has not been made; promises to call back not made; new delivery dates booked and not adhered to and each time I, that's their customer who's paid over 5K euros, has to phone again and beg for something to happen.

There is something seriously wrong with IKEA, Malaga and its delivery system. :evil:

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:35 am

Final Update:
Just received, by bank transfer, (so no trip to store needed) a full refund of the thousands I paid for the kitchen. :thumbup:
Isn't amazing that they give a refund rather than deliver the stuff to complete the contract. :crazy: :crazy:

Thanks for all the suggestions about (token) retribution via social media :evil: :evil: :evil:

As for the contribution (above) that suggested:
they hate negativity in the public forums
; I just don't think they care!