Empadronamiento

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Empadronamiento

Postby Lyric » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I had a need to get a current certificate, the silly three month rule operated by some departments, so yesterday found me in a deserted Torrox town hall.
When they saw I was a campo dweller I was shown reams of printout of ex-pats whose registration had expired.
They were wanting help to locate the expirees. There were a lot of blanks.
Registration is vital for their income so if you haven't renewed your Padron registration can I suggest you do, it's free in Torrox.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Empadronamiento

Postby alpineSi » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Do you happen to know when Torrox Town Hall close for Xmas, Lyric? I could do with popping in on Monday when I come over but can't find any dates their website.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:16 am

It's on the door he said helpfully but I think it was 24,25 only. I only glanced at it.

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:40 am

Sounds like what they *should* be doing in terms of closing dates, thanks.
Need to get myself on the padrón at my family address again.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:17 pm

The office that deals with the padron is opposite the town hall on the other side of the square between the estate agents and steps down to Plaza Picasso, on the ground floor. Very pleasant staff, I've had to go several times this year for padron certificates and always service with a smile (and free!).

alpineSi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alpineSi » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Ah, good tip, thanks!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:13 am

I believe that your name gets removed from the official list after 5 years of "no activity" ?

but i also thought there was no need to renew it unless it was needed.. imagine 20,000 people going into that office every year?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:39 am

We were on it for many years without renewing then a few years back someone from the town hall turned up at our campo house and asked us to confirm our details. He also had a list of other foreign names and asked for our help. After that we got a couple of phone calls asking us to go in to confirm we should still be on the register. So they are updating their records from time to time.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:16 pm

We needed a certificate today and the guy said we also needed to renew as it was five years since last renewal.

Simple and fast process. Produce your tatty green residencia card. No charge for the process.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:19 pm

A few years ago we lost the 25% IBI discount for being empadronamiento. Querying the reason at the ayuntamiento, I was sent round the usual tour of the town hall: each department being unable to explain the reason why and sending me elsewhere. Eventually I was told that "Francisco" was dealing with many similar complaints, but he was on holiday. Time passed and we discovered eventually that we were not on the padron, the entry had expired.

Now Rincón de la Victoria is a municipality of some 46,000ish souls and the town is desperate to achieve 50,000, whence there will be extra funding from central government. There has been a widespread advertising campaign to encourage residents to register. So what do they do when an entry expires? Nothing. Apparently, once in a while a canvasser is sent round properties to check that the details are still current, If there is no one home they might ask a neighbour to confirm. If there is no neighbour to ask, the expired entry is deleted. Why doesn't he leave a card? Why on earth wouldn't they send a letter? "Your padron entry is about to expire, please renew it."

We got back on the padron too late to get the following year's discount, so we lost two year's worth - 600€ in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Is that a universal discount ? Or is it specific to areas with a high number of foreigners owning properties and not living there?

I am presuming no such discount exists in the sticks as everyone ( perhaps a big assumption) lives in their house and is on the padron.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:35 pm

I don't know if the discount is universal. It may be up to each ayuntamiento. There aren't a huge number of expats in Rincón, but there are loads of second homes which are Spanish owned.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:01 pm

No discount where I live in the Velez Malaga area that I am aware of. No separate charge for busuras whereas some town halls make a separate charge.
I believe it is up to up town hall to decide whether or not to give a discount.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:06 pm

A discount was introduced in Vélez-Málaga after the last time catastral values were revised, and for properties up to a certain value it amounted to 90% of the difference between the former IBI bill and the increased one following the catastral revision. In order to qualify, not only did the property owner(s) have to be on the padron, and have no outstanding debts to the Ayuntamiento, but the property also had to be their principal residence so second home owners were not eligible. I benefited from it for several years (although it had to be declared on my annual income tax return) until the house was sold but don't get the discount on my new property as I didn't own it at the time the catastral values were revised.

https://www.malagahoy.es/provincia/Vele ... 74819.html

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Must have missed that but since my IBI is ridiculously low and the increase due to the cadastral values being revised made only a few euros difference, I'm not bothered if I missed out on the discount. :wave:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:29 pm

I believe, though, Gerry, that the numbers dictate how many fire stations, health centres etc you have so should you be bothered by that it may be worth signing on.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:19 pm

I think you will find that Gerry is registered but has not applied for the discount.
Gerry

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:11 pm

Correct I am registered. One of the first things I did when I arrived in Spain nearly 16 years ago.
Just wasn't aware Velez Malaga Ayuntomeinto offered discounts on IBI bills.
But since my IBI bill is less than €50 a year I'm not to bothered in missing out on the discount.
Cheers
Gerry

Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:25 am

I'm not aware that one is available in Torrox, it's not something I have heard of. My IBI is less than 200€ so not a huge amount so, like Gerry, I am not too concerned. Ours has never risen very much. Our first house here that eventually got onto the catastro in the early 2000s was a similar size and I think we paid about 160€ almost 20 years back, so I guess they've just not put up the IBI charges here much.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:37 pm

Any opinion as to why for the most part IBI appears to be so cheap compaired to the U.K yet there doesnt seem to be a lack of facilities etc. Bar maybe the part time fire fighters.