EHIC renewal

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: EHIC renewal

Postby Miro » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:24 pm

markwilding wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:34 pm Hi Miro,
I would like a clarification on your point about your Spanish friend.
So would I! I don't know, and I'm not sure anybody does. I was basing my suggestion on what FAL said (that the UK will continue to issue EHICs for some) and others' continued assertion that EU citizens' rights are protected by the withdrawal agreement - although it's not clear to me that the WA covers what happens after the end of the transition period. Also from the NHS website I sited previously:

"You'll still be able to access healthcare through EHIC for visits that begin after 1 January 2021 if you're either:
a UK state pensioner living in the EU before 31 December 2020
a UK student studying in the EU before 31 December 2020
a 'frontier worker' (someone who works in one state and lives in another) before 31 December 2020, for as long as you continue to be a frontier worker in the host state
an EU national living in the UK before 31 December 2020"

I am confident that you will not be affected, as you are contributing to the Spanish system and are covered therefore by Spain and will continue to be. But when you say "I think It's the country which issues the card which matters not the nationality of the holder ", I would tend to agree, except that it seems my Spanish friend will be eligible for a UK issued card, but as a UK citizen I won't be!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:08 pm

" I would be able to use the system on visits to other EU counties but obviously I would not be covered in the UK"
Used to be the case that the EHIC was needed when you went to the UK but Cameron made a pronouncement in Parliament that said all UK citizens were able to use the NHS, not just pensioners etc.
My EHIC gives my personal Identification number as UKxxx xxxxx suggesting I am UK citizen?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Are you sure about that Peter? I thought it was only pensioners in receipt of an S1 form that could get UK NHS treatment whenever they like without having to take up residence in the UK.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:08 pm

Quite right Cid. On my next visit I will visit a GP to see if I can be treated for brain fade.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.