When you bought your campo house... was it registered? ie, did you get a mortgage?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

When you bought your campo house... was it registered? ie, did you get a mortgage?

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:28 pm

We have been looking for a campo house. We are first time buyers, and would like to stay new alhaurin el grande or go to almayate / benjerafe etc.

We have been to the bank and we have been "pre-approved" for upto 100k.

We have been looking at houses, we´ve been to see a few, and while they might have an escritura and show up on the catastro, 4 out of 5 of them are not on the register of propidades.

now this got me thinking... the bank manager said that he **could** mortgage any of these, and its not a problem for him ... he said, while he would agree a mortgage, it would be a case of *nota simple not checked, so anything in the future is down to you, the bank washes their hands and still wants paying*

Now we are not silly.. I mean.. that sounds like a terrible idea.

My question is.. if you have all read that far...

If for example, someone leaves the uk / belguim / denmark / wherever, having sold their house, and they come and buy a campo house here without needing a mortgage...

what could happen to the house? could there be debts "secured on the house" ? for example? surely if the escritura shows that the house was sold in 2020, a debt collector couldnt come after the new owner etc?

whats the big deal with it not being on the register of propidades? I know its not a legal requirement to do it.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: When you bought your campo house... was it registered? ie, did you get a mortgage?

Postby costakid » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:30 pm

walk away. could end up very expensive and time consuming.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: When you bought your campo house... was it registered? ie, did you get a mortgage?

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:44 pm

You may have a mortgage offer, but banks are notorious for giving very low valuations on campo houses so you might end up with a very big deposit.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:46 pm

So if a property has a nota simple then it must be registered?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:33 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:46 pm So if a property has a nota simple then it must be registered?
You can only get a nota simple (and anyone can get one for any house, with a few details) if the house is on the "registro de propiades" - which allows the bank to look at it and see if there are any loans / mortgages against the house.. rather than taking the owners word on it.

The point i think i was trying to make.. is like.. for example, if someone comes to spain and buys ahouse without needing a mortgage, are they not in the same position as we would be if we bought a house with a mortgage - the house either way still wouldnt be on the register? we, or them, could all loose out big time :crazy: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :wtf: :wtf:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:28 pm

I think the answer is most probably yes they would be in the same position..

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:11 pm

I doubt that a bank would give a mortgage on a house that is not on the register. It would have to be registered so that the register would have details of the mortgage.

Of course, being on the register does not prove it is legal. It may have been modified or extended without registering the changes. With campo houses you need to be very very careful. The registry entry is not as important as the current escritura. If the property is not exactly the same as what is stated on the escritura, then you may have a problem in the future. The bank’s valuer will probably spot that. Applying for a mortgage is a good way of finding out if it is legal, but not necessarily 100%

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:21 pm

Not just with campo houses, in fact there will be 1,000's of houses in Spain which are not exactly the same as what is stated on the escritura. Brits worry about it way more than the Spanish do.