Ceiling fan not working, but light is OK

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
zanuck
Resident

Ceiling fan not working, but light is OK

Postby zanuck » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:58 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the fan motor repaired or replaced in a ceiling fan and light combo?

We have two identical units in the room, one works fine - lamp lights, fan rotates in both directions but the other one, only the light works, so it looks as if the fan motor is kaput.

As they are both identical in style, replacing just the failed one isn't ideal as getting the same style will probably be impossible :roll:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Ceiling fan not working, but light is OK

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:02 am

I would say its possible if you find a little electrical shop thats privately owned with an old boy who messes about with things like that. Big stores will just want to sell you a new fan as we are in a throw away society.

Massive section in punto Luz and el Corte ingles. You may find new one of the same type as you already have.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks costakid, I figured that it would probably be a new one (or two).

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 am

I purchased our original fan from B and Q in the uk 20 years ago. It packed up about 2 years ago and I found one almost identical in El Corte Ingles with same fittings etc. The only difference was the light on the new one didn't have a dimmer on it.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm

Quote possibly it's the start capacitor rather than the motor. They can be replaced fairly easily.
Regards

Bob

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:51 pm

costakid wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 am I purchased our original fan from B and Q in the uk 20 years ago. It packed up about 2 years ago and I found one almost identical in El Corte Ingles with same fittings etc. The only difference was the light on the new one didn't have a dimmer on it.
I saw an identical one to ours in a shop in Torre del Mar this morning @ €159.............

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:53 pm

casita-bonita wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm Quote possibly it's the start capacitor rather than the motor. They can be replaced fairly easily.
...but I guess you've got to know someone who knows how do that. Any suggestions from your location up to Competa or down to the coast at Torre del Mar?

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:15 pm

zanuck wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:53 pm
casita-bonita wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm Quote possibly it's the start capacitor rather than the motor. They can be replaced fairly easily.
...but I guess you've got to know someone who knows how do that. Any suggestions from your location up to Competa or down to the coast at Torre del Mar?
I guess thats the catch . Sorry but don't personally know of anybody. If you have a facebook account try asking on a competa or torre group. Sure there will be plenty of peopke who can do the repair.

Then again if you can't be *beep* Pinos near eroski have a large selection.
Regards

Bob

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:28 pm

zanuck wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:53 pm
Here is a quick and easy way to test if the capacitor is faulty.
Switch it on to the winter or summer setting.
If winter setting then very carefully give the fan blades a quick push to rotate them anticlockwise.
If in summer setting then very carefully give the fan blades a quick push to rotate them clockwise.
If the fan spins OK then the capacitor is faulty as the purpose of the capacitor is to "kick start" it turning.
Another possibility is thatat the winter or summer setting changeover switch is faulty.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:05 am

Hi gerryh

Thanks for your test information; the fan rotates manually freely in both directions, but the motor doesn't kick in, so it looks like it could be the capacitor.

With the help of my friend senor Google Translate, I'll go back to the shop in Torre del Mar where I saw a similar fan yesterday, and seek further guidance.

Thanks for your help.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:14 am

Did you try rotating the blades with the fan switched on?
Re-reading my post perhaps it wasn't clear that the test should be done with the fan switched on.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:20 am

Yes Gerry, fan was switched on (the light was lit), also pulled the fan on/off cord a few times just to be sure.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:58 am

gerryh wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:14 am Did you try rotating the blades with the fan switched on?
Re-reading my post perhaps it wasn't clear that the test should be done with the fan switched on.
Cheers
Gerry
Dunno if thay are all the same but my Fantasia ceiling fans have 3 capacitors, start and run for the different speeds.
Regards

Bob