NEW RESIDENTS CARD

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: NEW RESIDENTS CARD

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:34 pm

Don't they all? I think that regardless of what the Withdrawal Agreement says, anyone who intends to go through with the procedure would be well advised to do so prior to the 31st December.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:38 pm

It says quite clearly on the Spanish Ministry of Interior site

"The current registration certificates and family citizen cards of the EU available to British citizens and their family members residing in Spain are valid documents to prove legal residence in Spain, after the UK's withdrawal from the EU and benefit from the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement."

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:02 pm

I think we were talking about practicalities of leaving 'it' until after 31st December.

It is this bit that concerns me:

No obstante, a partir del 6 julio, los ciudadanos británicos y sus familiares residentes en España pueden solicitar un documento de residencia con formato uniforme (TIE), que acreditará la condición de su portador de beneficiario de los derechos contemplados en el Acuerdo de Retirada.

I just think that unless there is some unavoidable reason for leaving it until after the 31st December it would be advisable to get on and do it within the next few months and certainly before that date, but it is up to the individual. If you want to leave it until 2021 then try to stand on your 'rights' if it all goes pear shaped then by all means do so.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:16 pm

But it also says the following at the Spanish Ministry of The Interior site

Una vez finalizado el periodo transitorio, el 1 de enero de 2021, el Acuerdo de Retirada prevé que se mantendrán sus derechos de residencia, trabajo, estudios y Seguridad Social, siempre que residiera en España antes de esa fecha.

Once the transitional period ended, on January 1, 2021, the Withdrawal Agreement provides that your rights of residence, work, studies and Social Security will be maintained, provided that you resided in Spain before that date.

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:30 pm

Hi Beachcomber & Patricia

Have you read the CAB Spain article on this subject. It explains it quite well here. See link on my earlier posting above.

David

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:49 pm

Yes seems like we do not need to go through the process, however I wouldnt mind one of those little cards, although I do still have my old one. I carry copies around with me so the police cannot take it away from like they did Wicksey! :P
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:46 am

I have done mine and I am waiting for the card.
When I did mine, I was told that everyone will eventually have to do it, explaining that they want to stagger the amount of people applying for the moment.

The problem with many civil servants is that they often get it wrong so we will have to keep an eye on it.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:34 am

Well that is what the townhall has said to me that we will all have to change to the small cards with a photograph. :thumbup:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Updated 2 days ago and clearly states that it is NOT mandatory to exchange your green residencia document for the TIE
Updated on 4 August, 2020
https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/br ... KghFgKsCoM

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:18 pm

I have also heard that it is not mandatory now but in the new year it will probably have to be done. However, if people want to do it now they can.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:33 pm

The cards last for five and ten years depending on whether you are a permanante resident or not so i presume everyone will have to change at some point as the green card has no end date

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:05 pm

I think the problem for many Spanish is they can’t contemplate a situation where someone doesn’t hold an ID card. I think the first thing that comes to mind is that if this person doesn’t hold one, there’s something dodgy with them.

I have just bought a new car and as a self employed person, I’m entitled to a little extra discount but the sales guy could work out how I am self employed with no ID card. I told him not to worry as everything was above board but he didn’t look too convinced.