anyone know anything about fosas negras ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

anyone know anything about fosas negras ?

Postby gavilan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:19 am

Down on the bank beside the stream near here there is a fosa negra ... not much in use now as there are only a few inhabitants in the hamlet above ... but some black sludge still oozes from this fosa into the stream ... not a problem when the stream is full and running robustly ... but local farmers have diverted so much water into the acequias to irrigate their young avocado trees, that the stream has now stopped running ... I have no idea of the health/disease implications of this black sludge lying around on the edge of said stream ... ?should I be concerned or not?

ashtondav
Resident

Re: anyone know anything about fosas negras ?

Postby ashtondav » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:29 pm

Yes, be concerned and get it tested. Contact your town hall.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:05 pm

thanks for your comment ashtondave ... will go to local town hall ... when this heatwave has passed ... 39 here for last couple of days!

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:52 pm

It would indicate that it is full and not functioning correctly.
Gerry

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:49 pm

I think the problem started about 3 years ago when there was a sudden storm and the torrent rushing down the stream tore away the bank which had supported/protected this fosa negra ... as I said earlier, it was not a problem as there was sufficient water/current in the stream to wash the effluence away ... but with increased irrigation for increasing number of avocado trees this is not the case now ...

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 pm

It is against the law to allow grey water to enter the water table. In this case I would think this is worse than grey water. Certainly needs investigation.
Gerry

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:26 pm

methinks this fosa negra has probably been there 'since time immemorial' ... I also have to tread a bii warily cos I have a difficult neighbour who is using the land above said fosa as his huerta ... if I upset him, I am in deep trouble ... he is a somewhat violent man!