Residencia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

Residencia

Postby sick and tired » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi just a quick question living in uk and quite happy to do so but if later in retirement I wanted to live in Spain full time will obtaining residencia be more difficult than currently or just the same

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Residencia

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:41 pm

Much more difficult after Brexit.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:10 pm

Retirees didn't have a problem living in Spain before Spain joined the EU. I think health care for pensioners existed before EU too. I remember friends talking about it.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Depends if they use the same income criteria as 3rd world applicants. Much more than EU members
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:22 pm

fyfin wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:16 pm Depends if they use the same income criteria as 3rd world applicants. Much more than EU members
I think after Brexit Britain will be treated the same as the other Non-EU applicants so it will be even more difficult than currently. Things like changing your driving licence to a Spanish one will require a Spanish test I understand. In this transition period those of us already resident have been able to get things done under the withdrawal agreement in the past year, but I think after 31 December there'll be no concessions.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:27 pm

katy wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:10 pm Retirees didn't have a problem living in Spain before Spain joined the EU. I think health care for pensioners existed before EU too. I remember friends talking about it.
After Brexit the S1 form will no longer be issued, unless you were registered before Jan 1 and then you can get one when you reach retirement age.

Sid

sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sick and tired » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Looks like 2. 90day stints a year then lol

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:28 pm

I have already mentioned this but any other possible trips to other countries in the EU will need to be taken into account as well. 90 days in Spain means no weekend hops to Amsterdam or Paris in the following 90 days either.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Its just countries in the schengen zone rather than all the E.U. theres quite a few you could visit inbetween

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:16 pm

fyfin wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:16 pm Depends if they use the same income criteria as 3rd world applicants. Much more than EU members
Yes its third country requirements. Starting around 26k .have to take a Spanish driving test as uk licence cant be exchanged. No access to an S1 or pension increasements

Have a look at the below link for info non E.U residency.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/tag/residency-non-eu/

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:27 pm

We cannot assume that things like driving licences and pension increments will not be sorted after Brexit. There are many third countries who can exchange their licences and also get pension increases. There are loads of unilateral deals that can me made between Spain and the UK which are not controlled by the EU.

The tax treaty between Spain and the UK is a good example of this. Many tax issues regarding third countries can be changed by Spain and in many cases these will happen on a reciprocal basis.

Spain could make it very easy to extend Schengen visas if it wishes to.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:41 pm

To be quite honest, this is what I actually expect to happen. At the moment anyone investing more than 500,000 Euros should find it much easier to get a resident visa. It would mean some agreements and logic dictates it will benefit Spain so I think they will allow people with tourist money to stay as long as they like especially in the weaker winter months as long as people are able to support themselves financially.

We will have to see and I hope Sick and tired and people in his situation continue to post to see how this develops.

Where I see problems is with people looking for work here and this will have to be sorted before resident or work visas are issued.