Transferring money from a Hong Kong bank

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Manchesteral
Resident

Transferring money from a Hong Kong bank

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:59 am

A general question regarding finance.

I am trying to help a fellow brit, a llong term aquaintence of mine. If I transfer say 6/7000 euros from a hong Kong bank to his Spanish account what are the rules I need to follow, will there be any likely repercussions, would it be better to transfer it directly from my spanish accoun to his.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Transferring money from a Hong Kong bank

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:08 pm

I would have thought it would be simpler to just transfer from your Spanish account to his. If you need to transfer funds from your Hong Kong bank to your Spanish bank to cover it, I would do that as a separate transaction. Only my opinion ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 pm

I guess theres issues of gift tax regardless of which account you pay it out of if its not declared. But depending on the allowance for where you are it might not be much anyway.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:45 pm

elusive wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 pm I guess theres issues of gift tax regardless of which account you pay it out of if its not declared. But depending on the allowance for where you are it might not be much anyway.
It would be in the form of a loan to be repaid when his divorce is settled if I put that as a reference on the transfer order would that be accepted as declared.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:20 pm

I couldnt say manch.. cids good on this stuff maybe he can advise?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:09 pm

It’s up to him to declare it as a gift. Allowances for gift tax are usually zero and for a non relative even more unlikely and at a higher tax rate.

You can’t just say it’s a loan and hope it’s OK. It’s his problem not yours.

Sid

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:34 pm

OK, thanks for all your replies !

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:59 am A general question regarding finance.

I am trying to help a fellow brit, a llong term aquaintence of mine. If I transfer say 6/7000 euros from a hong Kong bank to his Spanish account what are the rules I need to follow, will there be any likely repercussions, would it be better to transfer it directly from my spanish accoun to his.
You also need to consider the money laundering controls etc. Money into Spanish bank accounts from Asia is difficult enough when both sender and receiver is the same person when it is a different person the controls get tighter. Consider sending the money from your HK account to your account in the EU and then making a further transfer on to your friends Spanish account.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:49 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:45 pm
elusive wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:37 pm I guess theres issues of gift tax regardless of which account you pay it out of if its not declared. But depending on the allowance for where you are it might not be much anyway.
It would be in the form of a loan to be repaid when his divorce is settled if I put that as a reference on the transfer order would that be accepted as declared.
Loans must be declared with a Notary. For this amount cash would be the best way. Another alternative is to give your friend the loan in the form of a pre loaded debit card or via PayPal. Or get your friend to open a Revolut or N26 GERMAN IBAN account as the authorities here would need a court order in Germany or Lithuania to see what went on in the bank account....which they won't be doing for 6k