Presents from Amazon.UK

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
jonbar.1
Resident

Presents from Amazon.UK

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:51 am

Usually our family in the UK send us our birthday &: Xmas presents via Amazon.Uk
Obviously, since Brexit, using this service has changed.
What effect will this have on these deliveries to us? How will it affect our kids' sending the parcels etc?
I understand that "Import taxes" etc will have an effect. ( I hear horror stories of recipients being asked to pay to before being handed the parcels etc :( )'
I'd hate to advise the family against sending stuff to us.
Any information/experience would be appreciated.
Cheers.JB

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Presents from Amazon.UK

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 pm

Simple, just order them on the Spanish site for gifts to Spain and vice versa for UK.

Your Amazon account is a universal account and works in any country.

Sid

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:52 pm

What sid means @jonbar.1 is make sure that the item is shipped from the same country it will be delivered to, thereby avoiding importation costs.

But you knew that, right ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks El Cid & Spanish Lad.
Yes ; I did realise that "same country" to "same country" would not involve importation.
I didn't want my (non-spanish speaking ) family to have to use "Amazon.es"if it could be avoided.

Still looking forward to an answer to my original question though! ( I respectfully draw your attention to "line.3" of my posting )

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:20 pm

If you use the translate function in Google Chrome, it's virtually impossible to tell that it is actually the Spanish site and you can also search in English.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:39 pm

Thanks El Cid.
I agree.That is exactly what I shall tell the family!

Purely out of interest;Just had a phone chat with Amazon.es ( from pressing the "call me" button took 30secs to be connected to an agent in English...Outstanding! )

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:54 pm

jonbar.1 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:39 pm
Purely out of interest;Just had a phone chat with Amazon.es ( from pressing the "call me" button took 30secs to be connected to an agent in English...Outstanding! )
First time I used the service my phone rung almost immediately after I pressed the "call me" button.
Excellent customer service.
Pity a lot of other companies here and in the UK aren't so efficient, helpful and knowledgable.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:33 pm

El Cid wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:34 pm Simple, just order them on the Spanish site for gifts to Spain and vice versa for UK.

Your Amazon account is a universal account and works in any country.

Sid
Thee is loads of stuff that is available from amazon.uk which isn't available from amazon.es, or de or fr for that matter. Sometimes there is no choice but to order from uk.
Regards

Bob

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Thanks all.
Still awaiting an answer to my original question!!
I'll give it until tomorrow.Then I'll give up.
cheers JB

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:24 pm

I thought we had answered it from a practical point of view. Amazon UK will almost certainly limit sending to the EU. Already many items are not available outside the UK. Same the other way.

It’s far too much hassle for everyone concerned and there are very few items on either site that are not available on the other. At worst, if one item is not available the chances are that there will be a suitable alternative available. As for shipment within the EU you can also order from the other EU sites which are sometimes cheaper. I have used France, Italy and Germany a number of times. The only disadvantage is the postage as Amazon Prime only works within each country, not cross border.

I used to buy a lot from UK as when they first set up in Spain, choice was limited. Not any more and postage and handling, even if the product is available will become much higher.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Cheers again El Cid.
My initial enquiry was sparked by the fact that my wife recently ordered earrings from Amazon UK. When the arrived, the package had a sticker on it which showed the value ( nice bit of reassurance for thieves ! :thumbdown: ).
Do all parcels sent from Uk to Spain have to have such a sticker?
At what stage does "import tax" come into play?
Is there any truth in the example of people having to pay the "postman" before he will let you have the package?
The above questions make-up my initial question. ( see line 3 of the original posting ).
I'm still grateful, however, for all the suggestions about Amazon :thumbup:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:00 pm

The sticker is post brexit. Depending on the cost of whats in the package that then determines if/how much tax maybe due. I think its anything over 30 euros give or take. Approx. But dont quote me!!

Yes you could have to pay the postman or the DHL driver etc. Or go to the post office to pay.Depends on whos doing the delivery and what system they use

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:58 pm

All good reasons for avoiding cross border online sales.

Apparently, another problem that is affecting online retailers is the question of returns. In the past it was simple, you just sent them back. Now there are all sorts of customs implications and many companies are just getting the returns destroyed before they get back into the customs system, the cost of which in lost revenue tends to discourage offering cross border shopping..

I wonder if anyone voting in the referendum had any idea of the potential implications of the loss of free movement. The problems are only now beginning to crawl out of the woodwork. Just my opinion and it's not an opportunity to start the Brexit debate over again.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:33 pm

Even before Brexit I would buy from the UK version for presents for family in the UK.
Just after Christmas I wanted to thank my brother for allowing me to use his SKY account with some wine and after checking out prices, including the main UK supermarkets, I found the best option to be Amazon.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:21 am

Thanks Elusive.
That's the sort of info I was after :thumbup:
JB

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:20 pm

Nothing to do with exports, sorry. I didn't know how to send my Amazon kindle books to my other kindle. I pressed the 'call me' button and received a call within seconds. The lovely chap talked me through it in seconds, job done.

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:21 pm

It is possible to gift a kindle book to someone, handy if they have lost the knack of holding a real book.
Gerry