Shop local, save your shops ! Perhaps the people who say that are rich?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Shop local, save your shops ! Perhaps the people who say that are rich?

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:30 pm

I was in town, and popped into the local computer shop.

They have blocked it off so you have to ask for what you want, so im looking for a hard drive.

He offered me a 240gb kingston ssd for .. Wait for it .. €120 !! (50c/gb).

I looked online and saw that pccomponentes (computer website) had a 1tb (1000gb) seagate baracuda mechanical drive on their site for €34.95.

Yes, its a mechanical drive not an ssd, but its an office machine not a gaming pc, and the drive has 4x the memory capacity.

I ordered at 17.00 last night, and it arrived in the office at 08.45 today, total including overnight shipping was less than €40. 4c/gb.

Tell me why we should support local shops??
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Re: Shop local, save your shops ! Perhaps the people who say that are rich?

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:01 pm

I always try to buy what I want locally (I don't even mind having to pay a few euros more) but invariably fail and end up having to use Amazon.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:39 pm

For computer bits try appinformatica.com. They generally have very competitive prices and there's most likely to be a store near you.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:30 pm

I have used APP a number of times. It’s a franchise and the shops are small but they have access to big range of products and can usually get what you want quickly. Also the staff do seem to know what they are talking about, unlike some of the larger outlets.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:20 am

I have supported a local tv shop for many years.They have maintained an outstanding reputation for looking after their customers from the initial sale, instalation and after service.Their prices are very competitve but even if they were a few pounds more expensive than the internet or larger stores i'd still use them and im not rich.. :lol: We ended up giving our last tv away, it was 15yrs old, we decided it was time for an upgrade.It's now 17 yrs old and still going strong and has never had a thing done to it since the day it was bought..Most members of my family have tv's from the same shop and have had no reason to complain..Shame that one day there will be few places left offering a personal service.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Hi Pamela 1.
Fear not. It is going the other way where I live since Covid. Folk are reluctant to shop for big items online. They fear lost items as so many deliveries are going astray. They fear customs charges. A lot of sites look like you are ordering from UK but in fact they are 'middle men' and the stuff is really coming from China etc. Also with so many companies closing down, they don't want to risk buying big items and losing their money.

Also more people than ever are supporting small businesses, private shops and local coffee take-outs etc and shunning the big guys.