Comparison Site

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mackle47
Tourist

Comparison Site

Postby mackle47 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi, does anyone know if there is a comparison site for electricity suppliers in Spain? We have a 2nd home in Spain and have not been able to visit due to the pandemic for months. We are currently with Endesa and although we are not using any electricity their standing charges are going up and up each month. Was wondering if they are particularly expensive and is it easy to switch supplier as in the UK?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Comparison Site

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:33 pm

This is the government site

https://comparador.cnmc.gob.es/

Switching is easy and takes about 2 weeks.

Sid

mackle47
Tourist

Postby mackle47 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:29 pm

Thanks for that El Cid I will take a look. :thumbup:
I should have mentioned the current company is Zeltria Energy who use Endesa but I guess it makes little difference. We only use a maximum of 300kw per year as when normal times permit we go roughly every three months. Do you know offhand if there are any companies that do not charge a standing charge or is it normal for Spain?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:53 pm

As far as I am aware, they all charge a standing charge and it's always much the same between companies. The differences are in the unit charge. If you are only using 300 KW then it probably won't be worth changing - you won't save enough to make it worth while.

I saved a lot by changing, but I use a lot!

Sid

mackle47
Tourist

Postby mackle47 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:12 pm

I wish I could get over there to use a lot! :)
Just added up my actual annual consumption last year which was 152kw which cost me €463! Hence the wanting to find a cheaper supplier!

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:38 pm

From those numbers, your contracted potencia is too high. reduce it to 3,5KW. This will cut your bill in half based on your current usage.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi mackel47,

With a potencia of 3.3Kw our monthly standing charge is 15 €

We are with ........... https://chcenergia.es/

How did we get there........... one hot summers day three suits from Madrid rode into the village ....... and took over whoever was supplying the Power. It was quiet informal before , we would be away for months at a time and when arriving back the Meter reader would pop round for a glass and thumb through his little black book and give us the Bill..... paid in cash and caught up on the village gossip ..... The old Spanish way......... :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:10 am

Can someone explain to me what relevance the potencia is? I'm on 5.2kw. In winter I use quite a lot of electric heating, however more than 3 kw on the main house circuit it trips the c/b anyway.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:40 am

Circuit breakers control specific devices or groups of devices. If the power used on that breaker circuit exceeds the rating of that breaker the breaker will trip The potencia breaker measures the total power used throughout the house and trips when that is exceeded. For example, say you have your heating on one circuit, and assuming that the heaters you are using at one time, do not exceed the individual breaker load and you then turn on the electric kettle, none of the circuit breakers will trip, but if the total from the heaters and kettle exceed the contracted potencia power, the potencia circuit breaker will trip.

If your heaters trip the heater circuit breaker, you need to get a bigger breaker or put the heater on different circuits. If the potencia trip keeps tripping you need to increase it (at an increased monthly charge).

Sid

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am

Thanks El, I'm not worried about the c/b tripping. From what you have said if I have an oil heater on full, the washing machine and a kettle it could trip the potencia breaker. Is that a problem or just a matter of resetting the potencia breaker which is how?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:57 am

Hi gruff,
Following on from Sid's Post.......
Check your main (Potencia) fuse it should be 25Amp...........if it is and still keeps tripping get it changed

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Thanks Enrique but I didn't mean that. If I lower the potencia, I believe I would save a bit but how do you reset the potencia breaker?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:22 pm

Two options.

If you have one of the new Smart meters, turn off the main breaker and put it back on again.

If you do not have a Smart meter, there is a potencia breaker which will have tripped. Just turn it back on.

Sid

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:27 pm

Hi gruff,
To get a lower potencia you will have to chat to your Supplier...........You can use all the regular white goods ,electric water heaters and electric radiators on 3.3Kw..........but you need to manage the time when to use them.

There will still be the Standing Charge

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:50 pm

Thanks. Enrique, I believe it could be 8 euros difference in standing charge.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:07 pm

But be aware that if you want to change your contracted potencia they might ask to see an up to date Bolletin.
A Bolletin is a certificate that says your electrical installation meets all the current, pun not intended, regulations.
It could be expensive to get the wiring system etc upgraded.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris