Get your food from the UK soon.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Get your food from the UK soon.

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:09 pm

katy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:19 pm
Wicksey wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:06 pm I know people who have been in Spain 25 years and still have traditional Sunday lunch nearly every week. They also eat very early, 5.30/6pm :| We have never got out of the habit of eating late, about 8pm but has been a little earlier since family here during lockdown. With our Spanish friends would be lucky to be sat down for dinner at 10pm.
We prefer to eat early so we always have a big lunch and a snack in the evening. I think that is a British thing for sure.

Eating a big meal at 10pm is not our thing, but everyone to there own.

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:26 am

For meat products. If anybody lives within distance of Nerja , go to the English butcher there, hes got a fabulous selection of pies and sausages all home made , a good selection of bacon, plus ready prepared meals ... also every cut of meat you can imagine, his meat is so tasty not sure where he gets it from, he only opened last year , hope he manages to stay open.. oh and he also does online delivery's .

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:45 am

Is this the guy you mean?

https://www.tonysbutchers.shop/

I can second that recommendation, especially for cuts of meat that Spanish butcher's don't prepare. He has ham/gammon that is cured with nitrates (so it is pink like the UK and Ireland)
Also got black and white pudding from Ireland.....which is to be expected given that he is from Dublin

mikewill
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mikewill » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 am

Yes thats him.. if hes Irish maybe hes getting his meat from Ireland and might be able to continue doing so, his lamb and mint pies and his Beef & Guinness sausages are amazing..

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:59 am

katy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:08 pm Not sure how there will be an agreement with the border if Spain can have the final say. There are a lot of troop movements from Gibraltar to UK and back. There were over 80 soldiers on manoeuvres in Gibraltar last week. Also VOX is making a lot of noise. Perhaps Boris could build a tunnel :lol:
There is also the fact that the EU Parliament have not ratified the trade deal. Could all be torn up by June.
The pre deal agreement doesn't put Spain in charge of the final say. It will be Frontex officers at the airport and port, To enter Gibraltar you will need clearance from both Gibraltar officers and Frontex, so it's all or nothing. You could view it as both have the final say or neither have the final say.

Regarding military there are precedents in Germany, Cyprus, Ireland and Spain (maybe more I don't know of) that allow foreign soldiers to enter defined areas of the country without passing passport or customs control.

Anyway this is a discussion about getting foreign food but I just thought I should set the record straight on some misinformation lest it perpetuate.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:01 am

mikewill wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 am Yes thats him.. if hes Irish maybe hes getting his meat from Ireland and might be able to continue doing so, his lamb and mint pies and his Beef & Guinness sausages are amazing..
Yes there is no problem in getting meat from Ireland, even for personal consumption. In fact some Spanish shops have switched to being supplied from Ireland and given up on the UK

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:14 am

katy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:19 pm I know people who have been in Spain 25 years and still have traditional Sunday lunch nearly every week. They also eat very early, 5.30/6pm :| We have never got out of the habit of eating late, about 8pm but has been a little earlier since family here during lockdown. With our Spanish friends would be lucky to be sat down for dinner at 10pm.
In the winter when it gets dark earlier then we tend to eat around 6:30 at the latest. I'm hungry by then anyway! Even in the summer we'll eat by 7pm. We don't usually eat out at night as it's just too late for us. I'm passing out by 8pm and then cannot sleep on a full stomach. Once when we had to go to England in the winter, my OH was gearing up for dinner when it was only 4pm .... it must be the dark that makes us hungry :lol:

One thing we never got used to in France is the 12 noon lunch. The restaurants were closing by 2pm even though we lived in the south. I'd barely had breakfast when we had to think about eating lunch if we were meeting friends. We tend to eat lunch here nearer to 2pm at home.

The only time I ever cook anything resembling a roast dinner is at Christmas. This year we didn't have ours until last month as my Christmas had been cancelled due to my leg problem. For the first time ever we tried Co-Op's frozen roast potatoes cooked in goose fat from Russell's to make it easier for me to manage. They were surprisingly good!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:28 am

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:59 am
katy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:08 pm Not sure how there will be an agreement with the border if Spain can have the final say. There are a lot of troop movements from Gibraltar to UK and back. There were over 80 soldiers on manoeuvres in Gibraltar last week. Also VOX is making a lot of noise. Perhaps Boris could build a tunnel :lol:
There is also the fact that the EU Parliament have not ratified the trade deal. Could all be torn up by June.
The pre deal agreement doesn't put Spain in charge of the final say. It will be Frontex officers at the airport and port, To enter Gibraltar you will need clearance from both Gibraltar officers and Frontex, so it's all or nothing. You could view it as both have the final say or neither have the final say.

Regarding military there are precedents in Germany, Cyprus, Ireland and Spain (maybe more I don't know of) that allow foreign soldiers to enter defined areas of the country without passing passport or customs control.

Anyway this is a discussion about getting foreign food but I just thought I should set the record straight on some misinformation lest it perpetuate.
Yes Frontex...a rose by any other name :mrgreen:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:24 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:14 am
katy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:19 pm I know people who have been in Spain 25 years and still have traditional Sunday lunch nearly every week. They also eat very early, 5.30/6pm :| We have never got out of the habit of eating late, about 8pm but has been a little earlier since family here during lockdown. With our Spanish friends would be lucky to be sat down for dinner at 10pm.

The only time I ever cook anything resembling a roast dinner is at Christmas. This year we didn't have ours until last month as my Christmas had been cancelled due to my leg problem. For the first time ever we tried Co-Op's frozen roast potatoes cooked in goose fat from Russell's to make it easier for me to manage. They were surprisingly good!
We had one yesterday, mothers day! and i did the cooking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:54 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:01 am
mikewill wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:52 am Yes thats him.. if hes Irish maybe hes getting his meat from Ireland and might be able to continue doing so, his lamb and mint pies and his Beef & Guinness sausages are amazing..
Yes there is no problem in getting meat from Ireland, even for personal consumption. In fact some Spanish shops have switched to being supplied from Ireland and given up on the UK
They are in the EU so there will never be a problem as long as they stay in the club.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:27 pm

On Bloomburg. Visit to Brit food shop in Athens, looked fairly well stocked, although lot of canned food. Discussing the Irish ferries that have now set up. Pro's and con's. Sea journey Irish republic to Europe is a longer route and therefore makes goods more expensive, also prone to bad weather and there has been cancellations. Irelands largest trading partner is USA.

M&S in Paris now has more variety in stock. Bet they don't have the tasty pasta dishes for one, especially the chile prawn/prawn alfredo ones. Ideal at 3 for £7.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:54 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:45 am Is this the guy you mean?

https://www.tonysbutchers.shop/

I can second that recommendation, especially for cuts of meat that Spanish butcher's don't prepare. He has ham/gammon that is cured with nitrates (so it is pink like the UK and Ireland)
Also got black and white pudding from Ireland.....which is to be expected given that he is from Dublin
Thanks for the link. I haven't seen him advertise anywhere in the English language mags. I see he does free range pork from Galicia. We rarely buy any pork products here as we believe they're mainly intensively raised. Looks worth a visit I think :thumbup:

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:10 pm

Clearly the UK had an advantage but threw it away and let Ireland in to steal their markets. The longer and more costly ferry journey is quicker and cheaper then the bureaucracy of importing from the UK. What a surprise.

Regarding Ireland's largest trading partner being the USA. This is what Google will tell you but this is purely an accounting trick, kind of an extension of Leprechaun Economics.
U.S. companies manufactur high value goods (mostly Pharmaceuticals) in Ireland. They then charge their head office in the U.S. a high price for the product and makes Irish exports to the U.S. look huge. This has the effect of creating a very profitable Irish subsidiary who pays very little tax on those profits. In the U.S. the company only pays tax when it repatriates the profits....which is never. So it reduces their U.S. corporate tax bill and distorts Irelands GDP and trade figures.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:05 pm

Have you told google they are putting out misinformation :lolno:

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:34 pm

No I didn't ....but the Governor of the Irish Central Bank did in 2016

'The statistical distortions created by the impact on the Irish National Accounts of the global assets and activities of a handful of large multinational corporations have now become so large as to make a mockery of conventional uses of Irish GDP.'

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:34 pm No I didn't ....but the Governor of the Irish Central Bank did in 2016

'The statistical distortions created by the impact on the Irish National Accounts of the global assets and activities of a handful of large multinational corporations have now become so large as to make a mockery of conventional uses of Irish GDP.'

11% corporation tax is very attractive to the big players.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:51 pm

UK soon to be 25% C T

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:58 pm

Tony the butcher. Bookmarked for a future visit. Bit of a trek but nice area to visit.I will buy a pork pie for our Spanish friends.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:25 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:40 am I know I can get Heinz beans in Mercadona but Branston are my favourite, although we don't eat them very often. I like the Quorn products (cannot eat anything with soya in it). Even some veggie products are quite processed so I tend to make most things from scratch if I can so I can control what goes into it. We rarely buy anything porkie as they are intensively bred here and always buy the campero chicken available now. Glad to see that Lidl stopped stocking cage produced eggs a while ago, only barn or free rage now. Large supermarket chains should take the lead like that more often but of course so many people just want cheap food and don't care about the welfare side. There's just some things that we like from the English shops like Shredded Wheat that is hard to source, plus decent malted grain bread. Russell's do a good steak and Guinness pie too!
Shredded wheats back in wicksey!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Not the large packs but we've just been in and got a few bits including a smaller pack of Shredded Wheats, so the OH is happy again, although the shelves are still quite bare. Their fridge was full of Irish bacon and ham etc so that's good they've managed to get something in.