Get your food from the UK soon.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Get your food from the UK soon.

Postby markwilding » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:51 pm

I picked some some Branston last week from Carrefour and Heinz baked beans were on offer on Lidl last Saturday for 60cts.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:03 pm

gerryh wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:26 pm Went to Iceland on Wednesday.
Came away with only about 40% of the items that we went for and which they usually stock.
Wasn't worth the bother of going.
Went to Russel's on Friday for 4 items that are usually in stock.
None of them were in stock.
Hope the situation improves.
Cheers
Gerry
Don’t hold your breath. The EU are being deliberately awkward an even more so because of the vaccine situation.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Perhaps you do better if you only wanted vegan like Patricia!

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:44 pm

markwilding wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:51 pm I picked some some Branston last week from Carrefour and Heinz baked beans were on offer on Lidl last Saturday for 60cts.
You can get Branston in Supersol and Heinz beans in Mercadona.

Most of the products you can purchase in Spanish supermarkets apart from a few.
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:49 pm

El Cid wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:25 pm Perhaps you do better if you only wanted vegan like Patricia!

Sid
Well it would help the planet as well as the poor animals which die in the process. People need reminding that we are in this mess because of the way we treat animals and take away their habitat as well as their ability to feed themselves.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:20 pm

You are right. I will take Pangolin off my Mercadona online shopping list!!

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:51 pm

patricia wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:49 pm
El Cid wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:25 pm Perhaps you do better if you only wanted vegan like Patricia!

Sid
Well it would help the planet as well as the poor animals which die in the process. People need reminding that we are in this mess because of the way we treat animals and take away their habitat as well as their ability to feed themselves.
Eating meat has caused Covid???

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:23 pm

It is one of the possible reasons.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:29 pm

costakid wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:51 pm
patricia wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:49 pm

Sid
Eating meat has caused Covid???
Cruelty to animals has caused Covid. You need to take a look at the farming industry. Cruelty at its worst, factory farming, intensive breeding, chickens bred so that their legs cannot carry them and many more and how to you kill a healthy animal kindly. All these things have contributed to Covid and all the other pandemics. Mans inhumanity to other sentient beings.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:30 pm

One theory is that eating Pangolin infected by bats with Covid started the pandemic. It’s a weird scaly mammal. It’s number 123 (124 if you want the sweet and sour version) on their Chinese restaurant menus.

In London I expect you can get a vegan soya bean option.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:53 pm

Blame it on pigs.

The Chinese are now massive eaters of pigs. The price of pork has rocketed so poor people eat cheaper meat like pangolin, bats etc. Have a google Huawei having been locked out of 5g telecoms in the West for spying or not technology, are going into the tech side of pig farming and coal mining. So you could blame it on mobile phones. Who would ever have thought.

Still the WHO fact finding trip to China will get the answers........

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:19 am

A few years ago I forgot to put some minced pork in the stir-fry. Neither my wife nor I noticed and since then we have never bothered with meat.

Eighty percent of our groceries come from a local greengrocer, supplemented by our own produce when it is in season, and the rest, mostly in the form of frozen fish, from Bofrost.

The likes of Mercadona have long been relegated to an occasional visit for non-edible items like toothpaste, soap, shampoo etc. and since Iceland no longer seems to stock Dorset Cereals or Haywards piccalilli visits there will be limited to when I have to go to the ITV centre just around the corner.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:08 am

Well done to that :thumbup: also tofu in curry. You do not notice the difference as it absorbs the taste of the curry. Pigs lead a terrible live, it is up to human beings to change that. It does take will power and a caring attitude to innocent animals.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:39 am

I am kind of conflicted on eating meat. I know it's cruel to them to kill them and eat them, but on the other hand if we don't eat them they never would have been bred in the first place.

So either we give up meat and they never get born or we keep eating meat and they get born and killed.

Is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:28 am

It is best that they are not born at all. Some of these animals are kept in dire conditions, pigs in crates who cannot move, chickens so large their little legs cannot carry them. Calfs taken from their mothers and kept in tiny sheds until they are killed. Long distance traveling, with weeks at sea when they are land animals and sent to countries where there is no welfare system at all and they are bludgeoned to death with hatchets and god knows what else.

Right now as we speak the are 1000's of cattle on a ship stranded in Spanish waters, they have been on the ship for two months and only the other day 50,000 pregnant cows died with the ship sank and I could go on.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:40 am

I know I can get Heinz beans in Mercadona but Branston are my favourite, although we don't eat them very often. I like the Quorn products (cannot eat anything with soya in it). Even some veggie products are quite processed so I tend to make most things from scratch if I can so I can control what goes into it. We rarely buy anything porkie as they are intensively bred here and always buy the campero chicken available now. Glad to see that Lidl stopped stocking cage produced eggs a while ago, only barn or free rage now. Large supermarket chains should take the lead like that more often but of course so many people just want cheap food and don't care about the welfare side. There's just some things that we like from the English shops like Shredded Wheat that is hard to source, plus decent malted grain bread. Russell's do a good steak and Guinness pie too!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 am

Yes Patrica there are some awful things going on. I have read the cattle at sea story. The least we can do is to ensure animals have a decent life however short. The UK is banning the export of live animals this year despite protests from the NFU.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:03 pm

katy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 am Yes Patrica there are some awful things going on. I have read the cattle at sea story. The least we can do is to ensure animals have a decent life however short. The UK is banning the export of live animals this year despite protests from the NFU.
I know that is great news and they are also banning Foie gras which is good news also.

It is the least we can do and thank god they are banning live export. Any progress in animal welfare makes me happy. How humans have got away with doing such terrible things to animals for so long beats me. Just because they have no voice that people cannot hear, although of course they do have a voice and it is up to people to speak out for them in a language which humans understand or they will use that as an excuse to continue the terrible cruelty and suffering towards animals.

Who the hell wants to walk up a ramp to their death. Ask yourselves if you would want to be made to walk up a ramp to your death or if you would like to see your children or grandchildren being kicked and punched up a ramp to meet a terrible end. If the answer is no then please do what you can to stop animal suffering. They also do not want to die they want to live just like you and I.

Pigs suffer terrible cruelty remember that as you eat your bacon sandwich.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 pm

Can we please get back on topic which is about shortages of British food in Spain.

Sid

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:28 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:40 am I know I can get Heinz beans in Mercadona but Branston are my favourite, although we don't eat them very often. I like the Quorn products (cannot eat anything with soya in it). Even some veggie products are quite processed so I tend to make most things from scratch if I can so I can control what goes into it. We rarely buy anything porkie as they are intensively bred here and always buy the campero chicken available now. Glad to see that Lidl stopped stocking cage produced eggs a while ago, only barn or free rage now. Large supermarket chains should take the lead like that more often but of course so many people just want cheap food and don't care about the welfare side. There's just some things that we like from the English shops like Shredded Wheat that is hard to source, plus decent malted grain bread. Russell's do a good steak and Guinness pie too!
Oh I didnt know that Branston produced baked beans. I shall have to try them. Yes glad to see Lidls only selling free range. I love weetabix but I stick to porridge. Yes lots of things that you cannot buy in Spanish supermarkets such as custard etc. I might try the malted bread sometime. Have not looked at bread as I only eat it at times as a treat. :thumbup: