Get your food from the UK soon.

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Get your food from the UK soon.

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:14 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:40 am I know I can get Heinz beans in Mercadona but Branston are my favourite, although we don't eat them very often. I like the Quorn products (cannot eat anything with soya in it). Even some veggie products are quite processed so I tend to make most things from scratch if I can so I can control what goes into it. We rarely buy anything porkie as they are intensively bred here and always buy the campero chicken available now. Glad to see that Lidl stopped stocking cage produced eggs a while ago, only barn or free rage now. Large supermarket chains should take the lead like that more often but of course so many people just want cheap food and don't care about the welfare side. There's just some things that we like from the English shops like Shredded Wheat that is hard to source, plus decent malted grain bread. Russell's do a good steak and Guinness pie too!
Have you bought up all the shredded wheat in Russell's wicksey!! Seriously its hard to find. The chinese british shop in nerja had empty shelves aswell last time i looked.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:48 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 am https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-55985956

Report about a British food store running out of stock in Belgium. It also mentions Morrisons having supply problems. I presume that is in Gibraltar as I don't know any other Morrisons on the continent.

I guess there are less foreigners in Spain at the moment so maybe there is not the demand to buy the stock at the normal consumption rate, but if they cannot get supplies at all then it will eventually run out.

Or maybe it's a business opportunity to load up at a wholesaler in the Republic of Ireland (they will stock most of these brands) and then export to Spain.
Stonemason the store featured on the original BBC report posted the following on their Facebook page on Saturday

''
GREAT NEWS!
We have now received 2 full trucks from Ireland (within the space of 30 minutes!)
The majority of the goods are products that you all know and love, and many new products for you to try, including the SuperValu range that comes highly recommended from Ireland!
We are still working hard over the weekend to get all the goods to shelves, so bear with us whilst we do this.
Now we have regular deliveries coming in supplying the majority of the areas in stores, we can now start focusing on increasing product ranges that are still lacking. So watch this space!
See you in stores soon 😀

So I guess somebody followed up on the business opportunity presented by Brexit. I guess it won't be long before the Irish trucks start filling the empty shelves on the Mediterranean coast of Spain.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:47 am

elusive wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:14 pm Have you bought up all the shredded wheat in Russell's wicksey!! Seriously its hard to find. The chinese british shop in nerja had empty shelves aswell last time i looked.
Not guilty as they've not had them when we've been in. They're the only cereal without anything added (sugar/salt) so my OH likes them. He's making do with oats and Weetabix, but the Shredded Wheat are a treat.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:55 am

Pleased to see your husband is still able to get his oats..
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Get your food from soon.

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:48 am

katy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:17 am Mainly dairy products. BBC going with the story from the Guardian that trade is 67% down. They neglected to show the press release from Dover Ports authority that trade is back to 90% of previous.
The BBC and the Guardian were right, I guess they neglected to mention Dover as it didn't paint the correct picture. Official figures are now out, UK exports to the EU down 41% in January. Imports down 29%. So it looks like Brexit is hurting the UK more than the EU

The Dover press release failed to mention that all those trucks were empty. Dover port wouldn't care as they get paid the same in the short term, whether the truck is full or empty. Long term however as hauliers adjust and get more efficient they won't run empty trucks and Dover Port will see a huge drop in business.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:09 am

Brexit is hurting the UK more because we are not being as petty. Time to start fighting fire with fire. Ban our shellfish, we ban your bottled water. The French were never going to make it easy, they don't like us full stop.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:34 pm

I guess it works both ways costakid. :lol:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:53 pm

Ludicrous that French fishermen were fishing side by side with British boats in British waters yet their catches are freely allowed to enter Europe. The UK should rule that all catches in british waters should be "washed" in a UK port ha ha. Maybe the UK doesn't want to lower itself to tit for tat practices, early days yet. French restauranteurs were complaining in the French press that they were suffering shortages.

The ONS said that November and December last year had seen increasing imports and exports of goods 'consistent with potential stockpiling of goods from the EU in preparation for the end of the EU exit transition period'.

Lets come back after Covid and summer.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:09 pm

It would also be helpful to see EU imports and exports to other countries. I suspect that they will also be down.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:52 pm

It has been reported in news outlets that there has not been a similar fall in trade with non EU countries.

https://www.ft.com/content/55f116d8-6f3 ... be4d379db0

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:11 pm

costakid wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:09 am Brexit is hurting the UK more because we are not being as petty. Time to start fighting fire with fire. Ban our shellfish, we ban your bottled water. The French were never going to make it easy, they don't like us full stop.
Do you think that is an appropriate comment? EU petty? French don’t like us? The UK is a total embarrassment on every level across the world , a small narrow minded island that still thinks it runs the world like it did in the long long ago British empire days , it doesn’t anymore its a nothing country run by idiots..that’s why you are living in Spain ! It’s always the EU fault..never the British is it? The UK is a third country so has to follow those rules now..not about being petty..the UK actually helped write the third country rules ...

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:27 pm

ooh I bet you will be glad to buy your half legal house and move ha ha.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:35 pm

costakid wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:09 am Brexit is hurting the UK more because we are not being as petty. Time to start fighting fire with fire. Ban our shellfish, we ban your bottled water. The French were never going to make it easy, they don't like us full stop.
Yes encouraged by Macron. Parisians have never been noted for being friendly with any country, they have a jealous streak. I go quite a lot to see family and they are fine on a one to one basis. Nevertheless there are a lot of french still moving here, saw this today.

Number of EU citizens living in UK is now HIGHER than before Brexit with 4.6million people granted right to remain - compared to 3.1million before Britain left bloc

The Guardian said they were all leaving :mrgreen:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:45 pm

I have deleted 3 more posts. This is not a political discussion. Keep it on topic please.

Sid

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:45 am

Mobylette63 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:11 pm
Do you think that is an appropriate comment? EU petty? French don’t like us? The UK is a total embarrassment on every level across the world , a small narrow minded
YES I do think its appropriate.

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 am

So anti EU but living in the EU or own a property in the EU? Seems a strange one..why not stay in the UK if it so good? You can eat all the English food you want then and never have to worry.

Mobylette63
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mobylette63 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:41 am

katy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:27 pm ooh I bet you will be glad to buy your half legal house and move ha ha.
For someone so clever..its either legal or illegal..you can’t have half legal.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:39 am

but if you break international law in a specific and limited way that would appear to be legal and illegal....just like you can be a little bit pregnant!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:47 am

Mobylette63 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:40 am So anti EU but living in the EU or own a property in the EU? Seems a strange one..why not stay in the UK if it so good? You can eat all the English food you want then and never have to worry.
How is it strange. You can be a meat eater but like chicken.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:04 am

Why do people have to have a go at those living abroad who want a few items of food from their home country?

It was the same in the Telegraph the other week which also featured the problem of importing foodstuffs from the UK. Someone commented that they'd worked in Spain for a year but never felt the need to source British food. I've spent over 20 years outside of England but that doesn't stop me craving malted grain bread and a few other bits that the Spanish shops don't stock.

I hope our local shop soon gets its supplies for their sake, as the brothers have built up a good little business there since they lost their mum a few years back.