Padron Renewal for non-EU citizens now every 2 years

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pensure1988
Resident

Padron Renewal for non-EU citizens now every 2 years

Postby pensure1988 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:41 pm

I have been informed that due to Brexit , us British Expats who are Residents in Spain have to renew our Padron every two years now. I believe a new B.O.J.A has just been issued on this subject. Can anyone provide further information on this subject and the BOJA link if possible

Many Thanks

David

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Padron Renewal for non-EU citizens now every 2 years

Postby El Cid » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:57 pm

It's always been 2 years for non EU citizens.

Sid

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:33 pm

It's not a BOJA that created the issue for British Citizens, it was BoJo

:crazy:

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:15 am

Hi

The BOE issued this week contains a lot of information for specific cases but your local Town Hall should be able to help if in doubt.
If you are required to present the actual Padrón document, the certificate itself must be dated within 3 months so you may need to get an updated one and now, most importantly, as non EU citizens, we are obliged to renew our registration on the Padrón every 2 years and not every 5 years as before.

unquoe

Please can someone confirm that is in fact the case for all who are Permanent Residents in Spain

Thank You

David

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:59 am

The 2 year rule only applies to NON EU permanent residents as stated earlier.

Sid

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:07 am

Hi Sid

So I have an EU Passport ( British Passport on Renewal date) and I am a Permanent Resident living in Spain, my Padron only needs to be renewed every 5 years. My friend says that the new BOJA/BOE says otherwise. Please can you clarify this aspect. I am very confused now

Thanks

David

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:31 am

Do you have an EU passport? As far as I'm aware, it doesn't exist, despite what was being said during the debate. Do we not have a British one that said we were EU members? As we are now not members, that is what is important when it comes to the new rules.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:00 am

For the third time, you have to renew it every 2 years. You are not an EU citizen any more whatever it says on the front of your passport.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:26 am

Agree about the every 2 years renewal but should the town hall remind me is is it up to me to remember to renew it?
I've been on the Padron at Velez Malaga for 16 years now.
In that time they have only once sent me a notification to renew my Padron.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:40 am

gerryh wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:26 am Agree about the every 2 years renewal but should the town hall remind me is is it up to me to remember to renew it?
I've been on the Padron at Velez Malaga for 16 years now.
In that time they have only once sent me a notification to renew my Padron.
Cheers
Gerry
I've had 2 notifications from the Ayuntamiento asking me to renew my details on the padrón in the 14 years we've lived in Vélez, Gerry, (both delivered by hand by an employee who comes round on a moto, needing to be signed for).

We last renewed ours when we moved house in 2017. Would any UK citizen who has not updated their details since the end of 2018 (2 years before the end of the transition period) now need to do that? I can't imagine the Ayuntamientos would welcome a rush of people wanting to do that with all the restrictions currently in place due to the pandemic.

In recent weeks I've seen a few Facebook posts from people claiming they have been told by employees in Extranjeria offices that the rules are about to be changed to say that padrón registrations will remain valid for the duration of a TIE, but have no idea whether that is just FB rumours or not. I will wait until I get another letter from the Ayuntamiento asking me to update my details, I think.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:57 am

As far as I remember, when I looked at the applicable law, there is no requirement for EU citizens to renew at all. This can be overwritten by central government under certain circumstances, such as the records getting too far out of date. Saying that some towns take it upon themselves to make up their own rules, Nerja is one example, where they insist on renewals. My padron with Almuñecar has not been renewed in 17 years until today. That was because they felt that it was time to ask for renewals for all foreigners (EU or not). I renewed it this morning.

As for sending you a reminder, I guess that's down to the town hall, some will, some won't. If you need to produce proof of being on the padron, then they usually insist on a new certificate which is valid for 90 days.

It's a very easy process. You just present your certificate of registration/TIE and your passport. No charge and no forms to fill in!

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:54 am

pensure1988 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:15 am Hi

The BOE issued this week contains a lot of information for specific cases but your local Town Hall should be able to help if in doubt.
If you are required to present the actual Padrón document, the certificate itself must be dated within 3 months so you may need to get an updated one and now, most importantly, as non EU citizens, we are obliged to renew our registration on the Padrón every 2 years and not every 5 years as before.

unquoe

Please can someone confirm that is in fact the case for all who are Permanent Residents in Spain

Thank You

David
Theres a post with info about this on the brexpats in spain f.book page.with links to the goverment docs.at end of the day if you are concerned ask at your townhall as they all have their own rules anyway regardless.