Registering a dependant for healthcare

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
DinnoDaze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Registering a dependant for healthcare

Postby DinnoDaze » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:10 pm

I have Spanish healthcare - I registered an S1 Form as a pensioner. My wife has just become resident and has her own S1 to register as my dependant. Does she have to provide an apostille-affirmed marriage certificate for the INSS? Will an original marriage certificate be enough (and of course we'll take a copy)?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Registering a dependant for healthcare

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:30 pm

I was never asked for either, not for this or any other procedure in Spain.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 pm

DinnoDaze wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:10 pm ....My wife has just become resident and has her own S1 to register as my dependant.
Why is she going to register as your dependant?
If she has her own S1 then she can register for health care in her own name.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:09 pm

Totally dependent on who you get sat behind the desk on the day dinno. Heard of cases of people who needed them and those who didnt. Best just to try and see what happens. Alot of INSS require you to send in the paperwork in online now becausr of covid so at least it wouldnt be a wasted trip

Dependent gets an S1 off their husband/wifes back gerry. So not in their name so to speak but an S1 nevertheless

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:20 pm

I know a husband/wife can get a S1 as I dependant but if She/ he has got an S1 in their own name, and not as a dependant, then they can register in their own name and not as a dependant.
That is what my wife and I did.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:22 pm

I have an S1 as my husband's dependant, but it is a separate one in my own name (shows my status as beneficiario). Last year I contacted the DWP to ask for a copy as I couldn't find the original and again it arrived in my name only.

When my husband reached UK state pension age he had to request an S1 for himself and one for me as his dependant, and they definitely issued two separate forms, one for each of us.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:40 pm

Yes, that’s what we did. I was the dependent but also was given an S1 as the dependent. When I got my pension I applied for a new one in my name and submitted that. There were no changes to my NHS number etc and I retained my existing Heath card.

I have to admit that I put it off for a year or two as I was concerned there would be a monumental *beep*-up but it was very easy.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:12 pm

I am glad to hear that as I shall have to do the same next year, and am hoping that there will be no additional complications (at either end) because of Brexit. I know that under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement I should still be entitled to a new S1 in my own name because I was resident here before 31 December 2020, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility to come across an official who isn't up to speed with the rules. Hopefully some will have gone before me by then so staff will be more familiar with the new arrangements.

DinnoDaze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DinnoDaze » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:03 pm

gerryh wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:08 pm
DinnoDaze wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:10 pm ....My wife has just become resident and has her own S1 to register as my dependant.
Why is she going to register as your dependant?
If she has her own S1 then she can register for health care in her own name.
Cheers
Gerry
My understanding is that everyone needs their own S1, so even as a dependant she still needs to complete the INSS form and submit her S1

DinnoDaze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DinnoDaze » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:07 pm

elusive wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:09 pm Totally dependent on who you get sat behind the desk on the day dinno. Heard of cases of people who needed them and those who didnt. Best just to try and see what happens. Alot of INSS require you to send in the paperwork in online now becausr of covid so at least it wouldnt be a wasted trip

Dependent gets an S1 off their husband/wifes back gerry. So not in their name so to speak but an S1 nevertheless
Why am I not surprised!
We're not far from Motril so we might go for a face-to-face and at least then, if they want to see the marriage certificate we'll have the original. To be honest, the advice about an apostille copy has come from other 'help' forums rather than the gob.es site which seems to only mention TIE, padron, S1, app form and marriage cert.
It'll give us something to do to while away the lockdown hours. :)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:22 pm

I registered my S1 at Motril and it look about 5 minutes and no questions asked and no marriage certificates required.

Yes everyone needs their own S1 but it can be one issued by DWP for a dependent. Normally both S1 forms are submitted at the same time.

Sid

DinnoDaze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DinnoDaze » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:56 pm

El Cid wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:22 pm I registered my S1 at Motril and it look about 5 minutes and no questions asked and no marriage certificates required.

Yes everyone needs their own S1 but it can be one issued by DWP for a dependent. Normally both S1 forms are submitted at the same time.

Sid
Cheers, Sid.
We'll probably go to Motril rather than submit papers online because at least then we'll know what we need and what we don't. The only issue is that we didn't register together. My wife was still undecided about residency but the max 90 days here followed by 90 days in UK made it a no-brainer, so she has to piggyback onto my healthcare status. The S1 came over in less than a week and I daresay we'll find little problem getting her card.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:11 pm

So are you resident now and she is not?

Sid

DinnoDaze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DinnoDaze » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:26 pm

No, she applied before the end of 2020 - we nearly used JJ in La Herradura but decided to do it ourselves and save €300. I got mine in 2019 and got my healthcare sorted. We picked up our TIEs last week and the S1 came very quickly so as I say, we just have to register her as my 'dependant' as she is not in receipt of any exportable UK benefit.

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:55 pm

We have just registered my wifes S1 as my dependant at Velez Málaga. She actually registered it in November and we waited until end of January but never got any letter or contact to say she could actually register with the doctor. So 10 days ago we re attended the INSS Office to chase it up. Although on initial appointment in November they had never mentioned our marriage certificate on the second visit they said they had emailed my wife asking for a copy of the marriage certificate? They printed of an email pointing at it saying there we sent this weeks ago? My wife looked at it and pointed out that the email address they sent it to they had miss spelled her name, so as she said she had heard nothing? Upshot was they corrected the email address and gave her the email address to forward the copy of the marriage certificate to. She forwarded a standard copy of the marriage certificate and 4 days later she got the email authorisation to register with the doctor. We did that the next day and within a few days her card came in the post. They didn't ask her for apostolised copy or translated copy.

DinnoDaze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DinnoDaze » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks, bobdun, that's all worth knowing. Let's see how things go in Granada.

DinnoDaze
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DinnoDaze » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:54 am

As a final question...I hope. On the PRESTACIÓN DE ASISTENCIA SANITARIA form, given that I'm already on the system and my wife will be a dependant, do I fill in the top part of the form with my details and then put her details as a Beneficiaria?
I don't want to muddy the waters by making it look as if I'm applying for healthcare I've already got.

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:11 am

Hi I am not sure re that. In fact I think when I did it both for myself and made the appointment for my wife as my dependant that form was completed by the INSS Office when attending the appointment? I may be wrong. However all I remember when I did it was, making the appointment online and attending with my S1's passport padron and copies etc. I'm sure they filled in a form for me which I signed and they then put it through their machine and entered stuff on the computer.

Addition, just asked the wife re when she attended to be added as my dependant. She says they handed her the form to fill in and indicated to her what they required. She says she did have to put my details on it as she is my dependant.