Is it *illegal* for shops to open on fiestas or at lunch time?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Is it *illegal* for shops to open on fiestas or at lunch time?

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:33 am

If its not *illegal* for shops to open on fiestas.. ie: today 01.03 ( where the 28th carried over and now there is a 'puente'...

Shops have to close at 1800. The news reports 'takings are down' .. 'Shops are not surviving'... 'Lots of shops closed down'...

Then they all close for a day so they can have their fiesta day.

Don't they see how ironically stupid it is ?

**Boo hoo we have no money.. But i still want to close for a day and make even less money? **

Its like lunch time. All shops have to close at 1800 apart from the supermarkets blah blah.. When they have their hours reduced, why the hell are they still closing for lunch? Open 0900-1400, 1600-1800. Then they complain they dont make any money. Just stay open all day? Have a staggered lunch hour between staff?

I dont 'get it' .. I dont 'understand'.

Will i ever ? Hahah does anyone else think the same ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Re: Is it *illegal* for shops to open on fiestas or at lunch time?

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:36 pm

Re lunch...I thought the same....but then I spoke to a shop owner. He said no point in opening during lunch as nobody comes anyway.

I always try to go to the supermarket in siesta time....as it is quiet!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:20 pm

If people knew, that during this situation, im not saying forever... If people knew that everywhere would be open, people would be out and about all day.

Do they really think that the people in mercadona or lidl or carrefour wouldnt stop at the ferreteria or the paint shop or the fruit shop if they were passing?

Really, it amazes me how people who wont help themselves complain so much.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:51 pm

My thoughts are irrelevant I am not a shop owner. I just reported what a shop owner told me when I asked him the same question that you asked on the forum.

The supermarkets are dead during siesta time in both areas that I live in, even in the shortened hours now. So since there is no passing trade generated by the supermarkets then why open. Chicken and egg situation. I do live in places where less than 10% of the population are non Spanish so that may have an effect on the outcome.

The one thing I also found surprising is that the supermarkets were also dead the last time I was there after 18h (and that was before the 18h spirits and liquor restrictions started).

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 pm

I too tend to go supermarket shopping while the Spanish are eating if possible. I have never understood why they all want to go at the exactly same time then moan when things are packed. On Saturdays going at 2;45 makes a massive difference and it's much easier to find a free parking space in Bilbao.

What I find even odder in these days of difficulties for retail, not necessarily only due to Covid but the competition online as well, is that here in our province of Bizkaia the shops also close from June until the end of September Saturday afternoons. A short drive to an adjoining province all shops open.

Here no shops ever open Sunday or bank holidays apart from the Chinese one .

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:03 pm

Surely it is part of the charm of Spain and the tradition?

Family life would suffer with longer opening hours. Same with places open on Sundays or 24 hours.

Plus people only have so much to spend, longer hours don’t necessarily equate to more consumer spend.

I say this as someone living in the sticks and by the time we get anywhere the clock is ticking till everywhere except sheds are closed.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Dont understand why they shut for the siesta in the winter. Fair enough in the summer when its hot but in the winter. It would create more jobs in smaller shops where alot of the time theres one person there all day. Open during the siesta and you create another shift for someone if the shops open till 21.00

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:16 pm

olive wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:03 pm Surely it is part of the charm of Spain and the tradition?

Family life would suffer with longer opening hours. Same with places open on Sundays or 24 hours.

Plus people only have so much to spend, longer hours don’t necessarily equate to more consumer spend.

I say this as someone living in the sticks and by the time we get anywhere the clock is ticking till everywhere except sheds are closed.
I totally agree with everything that you are saying olive, but im talking about NOW, not 'all the time'.