Calcium in kettles

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Calcium in kettles

Postby elusive » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:42 pm

Always had this problem like most people. Having to de scale all the time. but by accident we used bottled water that is muy debil rather than the standard natural mineral water. Now the kettle stays totally clean with no residue at all. Maybe its something that people know about and we are late to the party but it certainly saves having to de scale.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Calcium in kettles

Postby El Cid » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Mineral water contains minerals - no surprise there!

Minerals cause the cal formation which needs to be descaled.

Distilled water or the sort you buy for your steam iron does not. That is the best of all to avoid cal but it has no taste.

Best bet is to use the water you like and descale occasionally with some vinegar.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:31 am

We never used bottled water of any kind in the kettle before. We used a brita filter yet still got the calcium. So it shows a brita doesnt do much good either.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:15 am

We have filters outside where the water comes into the house. One is a plastic sieve as we are on agricultural water with large flakes of cal in it. The other is one with large clear crystals in it that last for years and are supposed to act as a water softener.
I think it's this https://www.manomano.es/p/naturewater-c ... ifo-807421

We don't have any cal in our kettle. Our taps stay reasonably clean as well so I presume it is working. I know the water deposito has a good amount of cal in it and another filter in the garden irrigation system gets completely blocked with the stuff. I've never used bottled water in the kettle so don't know what effect it would have. We use the agricultural water for everything apart from drinking straight out of the tap.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:26 am

With Sid here cleaning vinegar works fine, we find it best to empty the kettle after use. Being in the campo our water is untreated agricultural water and comes from near Competa. It redefines the statement there is a lot of cal !

Mrs W beat me to it, same supply.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:04 pm

My parents / we / mainly myself... have always used agua fuerte to descale kettles, just make sure that its well rinsed out.

Now im in my own place, i use bottled water in my coffee machine and its never scaled up.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:43 am

Horses for courses I suppose.

In Lebrija, no calcium whatsoever.

Here in deepest Hampshire, I need to descale kettles once a month. Sometimes just use a lemon, which partially works.

anyroads