Getting a Spanish Passport

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
john the baptist
Resident

Getting a Spanish Passport

Postby john the baptist » Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 am

Hi,

Now us Brits are out of the EU and most of us never want or cant leave Spain, it makes a lot of sense to get a Spanish Passport and so the residencia, TIE, NIE thing wont be an issue and we can vote in the National and Andalucian elections.

Has anyone actually done its recently, I want to keep my UK passport as I believe dual nationality is possible, however i read about a citizen exam, this may be an issue as my spanish is not very good reading although Im fluent in conversation (in Castellano not the rubbish andaluz slang they speak done here).

Ive been here 16 years and cant afford to go back to the UK and who would want to to be honest. Is it possible to bypass the exam?, can you do it in English?? and what exactly are they testing history? civil war LOL? the colonisation of south america???

I really want a NIE and Passport as im sick of people thinking just because Im English that i should go home. Also it might be handy at the border in Gibraltar where Spanish people occasionally get through easier.

Muchos gracias

John B

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting a Spanish Passport

Postby Wicksey » Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 am

john the baptist wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 am ... Is it possible to bypass the exam?, can you do it in English?? and what exactly are they testing history? civil war LOL? the colonisation of south america???

I really want a NIE and Passport as im sick of people thinking just because Im English that i should go home. Also it might be handy at the border in Gibraltar where Spanish people occasionally get through easier.

Muchos gracias

John B
Surely you have the NIE? Did you mean the TIE which you can easily get by swopping over your green residency card. We used our TIE when flying to the Canaries and picking up our hire car last year, and I believe you can use it between EU Schengen countries as well. We didn't need our UK passport at all. It's almost as good as having a Spanish passport, apart from not being able to vote.

I think the idea of the written test is that you can understand written Spanish, so it would defeat the object if you can do it in your native language. Someone did post a link to an example of the questions some time ago. I did pretty well as I can understand the written word better than spoken. There was a wide range of questions from ones about how the government works, to the opening times of banks I seem to remember.

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon May 10, 2021 10:26 am

There is not dual nationality. I have done it all recently. If you want to DM me.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 pm

john the baptist wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 am Hi,

Now us Brits are out of the EU and most of us never want or cant leave Spain, it makes a lot of sense to get a Spanish Passport and so the residencia, TIE, NIE thing wont be an issue and we can vote in the National and Andalucian elections.

Has anyone actually done its recently, I want to keep my UK passport as I believe dual nationality is possible, however i read about a citizen exam, this may be an issue as my spanish is not very good reading although Im fluent in conversation (in Castellano not the rubbish andaluz slang they speak done here).

Ive been here 16 years and cant afford to go back to the UK and who would want to to be honest. Is it possible to bypass the exam?, can you do it in English?? and what exactly are they testing history? civil war LOL? the colonisation of south america???

Muchos gracias

John B
Hola

There is an article in the ChiFRA website
http://www.chifra.org/index.php?option= ... Itemid=162

Davexf

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue May 11, 2021 7:57 am

Unicorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:26 am There is not dual nationality. I have done it all recently. If you want to DM me.
I have two passports, UK an E U member state passport, The Spanish authorities will tell you that they do not recognise dual nationaliy but only the British governmemt can withdraw your right to maintain it.

My mate jumped through many hoops in order to get his Spanish passport and at the end of it he told me he would have been better off just sticking with his British passport !

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 am

Ive been here 16 years i cant believe that it cost so much, i been to the Policia national and they did not mention an exam not the €600 costs. The DNI is less than €20 and you can travel around europe with it and probably still get into the UK. Its as good as a passport for Europe and even morocco. I need to start the process again now the lockdown has been lifted and go to the court house where i need to apply for the nationality certificate i believe €55 were they do the checks and processes. Also Ive been told by a south american friend that the NIE details automatically get transferred to the DNI so all government systems know the change. Only say shops and stand alone systems will have to be "informed" of your new status. I will start next week and keep everyone informed, i can practically guarantee that the harder option is correct as ive never had anything go easy administrative wise here in Spain unless you are handing over alot of money. That not to pay people to do to it for you it always to pay the government, officials or council. the admin is Extra.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 am

As part of the Spanish Nationality process you have to declare that you have given up your UK nationality. Although the Spanish authorities don't require any proof that you have done this and indeed Spain does allow dual nationality for some countries

If you were to use a UK passport after gaining Spanish nationality and you are caught then you will lose Spanish nationality.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue May 11, 2021 9:01 am

john the baptist wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 am Ive been here 16 years i cant believe that it cost so much, i been to the Policia national and they did not mention an exam not the €600 costs. The DNI is less than €20 and you can travel around europe with it and probably still get into the UK. Its as good as a passport for Europe and even morocco. I need to start the process again now the lockdown has been lifted and go to the court house where i need to apply for the nationality certificate i believe €55 were they do the checks and processes. Also Ive been told by a south american friend that the NIE details automatically get transferred to the DNI so all government systems know the change. Only say shops and stand alone systems will have to be "informed" of your new status. I will start next week and keep everyone informed, i can practically guarantee that the harder option is correct as ive never had anything go easy administrative wise here in Spain unless you are handing over alot of money. That not to pay people to do to it for you it always to pay the government, officials or council. the admin is Extra.
Of course there are fees to pay - you should take a look at the list of costs charged by the Home Office in relation to obtaining visas and UK citizenship if you think Spain's charges are expensive. The cost of naturalisation (including the citizenship ceremony) there is 1,330 pounds (oh, plus an additional 19.20 to get your biometric information - fingerprints and photo - done).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -fees-2018
Last edited by Free at Last on Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue May 11, 2021 9:09 am

I can't quite follow what you are now proposing doing. Why not just swop your green residency card for the TIE which only costs 12€? I presume you have residency?? The DNI is for Spanish citizens, the TIE is for us Third Country residents. As I said,it is accepted as a valid ID card throughout the EU.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 am

john the baptist wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 am -------

Muchos gracias

John B
People getting Spanish passport for that reason are very misguided. You are unwelcome whether you have it or not.

A perfect example is my Spanish partner, who's Canarian.

In 2020 as the first lockdown started we moved to mainland Spain, but only for a few years to work the system from a career point of view and explore a few more places.

Well, we've been quite surprised at the hostility directed towards my partner, particularly in the work environment.
It's more or less....WTF are you doing here, go back to where you came from.
Promotion is a non starter, as they won't even consider him, despite his experience and knowledge. The good positions are given to locals, most of whom have no skills for the job in hand.

So, I will definitely not waste time acquiring a DNI and ES passport. very much not worth the effort.

Spaniards are very parroqial. They don't like anyone from outside. So, an ES passport will not open any doors for you.
South Americans get them for the benefits of establishing themselves in Europe, but they NEVER say they're Spanish and they don't want to be.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue May 11, 2021 2:35 pm

That's a bit harsh. Its's certainly not my experience of the Spanish

This was posted regarding certain peoples' rights in another thread.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40353&start=360

For some members this is very interesting especially in tandem with the this thread. As someone who is married to a Spanish national, having a Spanish passport would be a disadvantage if the UK one has to be given up.

Having the right to live in Spain, move around the EU, if needed, or if we want to return to the UK leaves all options open for someone in my position.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 12, 2021 2:28 pm

Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 am As part of the Spanish Nationality process you have to declare that you have given up your UK nationality. Although the Spanish authorities don't require any proof that you have done this and indeed Spain does allow dual nationality for some countries

If you were to use a UK passport after gaining Spanish nationality and you are caught then you will lose Spanish nationality.
If you had Spanish nationality why would you use a U K pasport, sorry I don't understand your response !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm

john the baptist wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:53 am Ive been here 16 years i cant believe that it cost so much, i been to the Policia national and they did not mention an exam not the €600 costs. The DNI is less than €20 and you can travel around europe with it and probably still get into the UK. Its as good as a passport for Europe and even morocco. I need to start the process again now the lockdown has been lifted and go to the court house where i need to apply for the nationality certificate i believe €55 were they do the checks and processes. Also Ive been told by a south american friend that the NIE details automatically get transferred to the DNI so all government systems know the change. Only say shops and stand alone systems will have to be "informed" of your new status. I will start next week and keep everyone informed, i can practically guarantee that the harder option is correct as ive never had anything go easy administrative wise here in Spain unless you are handing over alot of money. That not to pay people to do to it for you it always to pay the government, officials or council. the admin is Extra.

The more I read your posts the more confused I become, do you have residencia and is it permanent or temporary ? do you have an NIE ?

I"m not trying to burst your bubble but I know of at least 2 people who have gone through this process and they have both told me that it was an extremely difficult process and retrospectively wish they hadn't bothered.

Naturally you will need all your ducks in a row before you start the process ie, residencia, entitlement to health care, been paying taxes and social security etc, I wish you luck with it and please keep us informed !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 12, 2021 2:50 pm

jhonie99 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 am
john the baptist wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:43 am -------

Muchos gracias

John B
People getting Spanish passport for that reason are very misguided. You are unwelcome whether you have it or not.

A perfect example is my Spanish partner, who's Canarian.

In 2020 as the first lockdown started we moved to mainland Spain, but only for a few years to work the system from a career point of view and explore a few more places.

Well, we've been quite surprised at the hostility directed towards my partner, particularly in the work environment.
It's more or less....WTF are you doing here, go back to where you came from.
Promotion is a non starter, as they won't even consider him, despite his experience and knowledge. The good positions are given to locals, most of whom have no skills for the job in hand.

So, I will definitely not waste time acquiring a DNI and ES passport. very much not worth the effort.

Spaniards are very parroqial. They don't like anyone from outside. So, an ES passport will not open any doors for you.
South Americans get them for the benefits of establishing themselves in Europe, but they NEVER say they're Spanish and they don't want to be.

Johnny baby, your comments here are more often than not derogatory towards the Spanish people, I really wonder why you stay here when you are clearly not happy, why not just go back where you came from and unburden yourself ?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed May 12, 2021 4:14 pm

The reason’s in his name. Manchester. The answer? The weather.

Reminds me of an acquaintance I have who has the nerve to say “the only Spanish people I want to speak to speak English”.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm The more I read your posts the more confused I become, do you have residencia and is it permanent or temporary ? do you have an NIE ?
Exactly what I said earlier. I cannot follow it. If the OP has been here 16 years already then surely he has an NIE, and should be a permanent resident already. Then getting the TIE is something of a formality.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed May 12, 2021 4:51 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:28 pm
Paddy Pumpkin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:54 am As part of the Spanish Nationality process you have to declare that you have given up your UK nationality. Although the Spanish authorities don't require any proof that you have done this and indeed Spain does allow dual nationality for some countries

If you had Spanish nationality why would you use a U K pasport, sorry I don't understand your response !
A couple of examples, to enter the UK without having delays at immigration you could use the UK passports queue. Or entering Australia which is easier with a UK passport than Spanish.

If you do that and then return to Spain and the Spanish immigration look at your Spanish passport and notice no stamp from entering the UK or OZ then you could be caught. Or just imagine Spanish customs stop you and decide to randomnly search you and they find a UK passport in your luggage.

I have multiple passports and use the one which makes a given activity easier or cheaper.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Wed May 12, 2021 7:17 pm

Last edited by john the baptist on Wed May 12, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 12, 2021 9:28 pm

Not much stereotyping going on there :silent: :wink: .worrying when you dont know if a poster is being ironic or not? 10/10 for entertainment though :wink:

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue May 18, 2021 7:46 am

on reflection Im going to do the TIE and then re evaluate the Spanish passport situation. I dont want to be in a position where i have LESS freedom and have to COMPLY EVEN MORE just being a Spanish national. Without stereotyping there is a reason why nearly all autonomous regions do not like the control Madrid have over them. I know that from friends and family in Tenerife and Majorca, and we wont open the Basque, Catalan, Balearic and canaries independence issue and Galicia of course.