Carta de Invitacion

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
knowal
Resident

Re: Carta de Invitacion

Postby knowal » Thu May 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu May 20, 2021 6:14 pm

For those of you who may have missed it there is an article relating to this in today's Guardian.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu May 20, 2021 6:41 pm

Yes and I posted the link to the article on this thread earlier this morning, its several replies back

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu May 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Ahh, must have missed it :lolno:

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Sun May 23, 2021 2:45 pm

According to this item: the relevant countries have an option not to implement these tedious procedures.
Let's hope that Spain values it's British customers enough!
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/05/go ... or-france/

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Sun May 23, 2021 6:40 pm

So, the implication is that individual EU countries can control their own borders! Well, there's a thing. Particularly as (non EU) Uk seems to have been dragging its feet to close its borders during Covid.
UK is being particularly nasty with some EU nationals, handcuffing and chucking in clink. And the partisan media seems to think that EU is always exacting some sort of sinister revenge on UK whereas it is merely following its own rules as UK now a 3rd country.

Well, you get what you vote for, I guess.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun May 23, 2021 8:09 pm

jonbar.1 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:45 pm According to this item: the relevant countries have an option not to implement these tedious procedures.
Let's hope that Spain values it's British customers enough!
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/05/go ... or-france/

About 60% of world travellers need a visa for their international journey. I lived in Asia and had to have 2 passports issued by one country just to facilitate the amount of visas I was requesting for work travel.

Visas weren't even on my radar whilst I was living in the EU and tbh I took it for granted. It is only when you are outside the EU that you realise the impact. This is no special targeting of the UK it is just applying the rules that exists for non EU countries.

The value of the average UK tourist to Spain is well below that of a Russian, Chinese or American tourist so maybe Spain will change tack...who knows.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 23, 2021 10:26 pm

A return ticket is all that is needed, forget it if going to hand out bar leaflets for the summer or work in a call centre. No test or vaccination, easy if you have the money to pay for tests on return. Will be interesting to see how many travel in the next 2 weeks.
Most EU countries have far higher virus figures than UK and considerably lower vaccination figures, is there some fluke that it is safe for them to cross borders because they are in the club, is the virus aware. :lol:

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:34 am

another question regarding this "carte de Invitacion please. If I as a non-resident, own a property in Spain and I do not have Residencia , what are the rules applying to me & others in my situation regarding this application as there is no NIE or TIE Card in this case. Do these rules still apply for inviting Family or Friends over during my 90 Days stay.

Thank You

David

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:17 am

So far i have seen conflicting information about this subject, all reports use the word "could or may need" I don't think anyone really knows if it is going to be the case for sure.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue May 25, 2021 11:30 am

I reckon it is SM and newspapers blowing it up. Security asks for that if they are suspicious (they are usually good at picking them out). They watch on screens at people in the luggage area. People with no return flight and vague answers etc. If this happens frequently it will sink the rental market for those doing short lets, wont be worth the hassle.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 am

"So far i have seen conflicting information about this subject, all reports use the word "could or may need" I don't think anyone really knows if it is going to be the case for sure."

My OH subscribes to something called The Local which is full of information for people who live in Spain. Except that it is nearly always full of dubious information that turns out to be some mangled version of 'the truth'. They flagged up this 'Carta de Invitacion' a few weeks ago.

I intend to do the very Spanish thing of ignoring it all and if I don't mention it, nor will the Spanish authorities.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:35 am

Agree Lavanda, those were my thoughts also.Yes i know the publication you mentioned, as you say it's full of information, sometimes the info can be quite alarming and just as you say a mangled version.

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Fri May 28, 2021 12:29 pm

I agree I have looked into this and it would seem that the main thing to ensure is you have a return ticket, a one way ticket is clearly an alarm bell to officials.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri May 28, 2021 3:07 pm

Seems to cover a multitude of rumours ... but the TIE is highly recommended.

https://english.elpais.com/trans_iberia ... spain.html

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:36 pm

Has anybody had visitors, this year, from the UK?
Were they asked for their Cartas de Invitacion?
Our son and grandson are coming to stay with us for 10 days in September.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:06 pm

Gerry, both ourselves and from what i could see no one was asked for any evidence of where they were staying. Up to now there is no real evidence that this is law or even if that is definitely going to be the case. The health passenger locator form asks for an address but that has nothing to do with Carta de Invitation, even then the locator form asks if the address given will be the same address for the whole duration, they do not ask for further addresses if it isn't, as long as they have your contact details, phone number then that seems to be sufficient.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:56 pm

Family arrived today at malaga and not asked about it. Very busy so all passport lanes open to everyone.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:00 pm

I asked on another forum and had replies that their visitors weren't asked for them.
seems that Spain isn't, as yet, implementing the need for the letters for visitors from the UK.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Noodle
Tourist

Postby Noodle » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi, does anybody whether the requirement for the carta de invitacion (which had a lot of publicity towards the end of May, but has since gone quiet) is actually being applied in practice in Spain. We have a holiday home not visited since before the B word, plan to visit next month and have visitors ourselves when there. I know that as non resident we can’t apply for the carta in any case for our guests (but instead meant to register as tourist accommodation!), but if the border controls are not enforcing the carta, they are probably not also enforcing the non resident rule. Anyone know?

Edit - oops! Just read the 3 posts above. Seems the answer is that it is not being enforced. Good!