Carta de Invitacion

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Peshma
Tourist

Carta de Invitacion

Postby Peshma » Tue May 18, 2021 4:01 pm

We have recently read about the above certificate apparently necessary for visitors to Spain ( from non EU countries), including any visitors to individual houses
Can anyone enlighten us to whether they think this will be an absolute necessity for family members visiting relatives in Spain?
Many thanks in anticipation.
(Interior.gob.es)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Carta de Invitacion

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 19, 2021 7:08 am

I didn't know it existed, is it for a visa application?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed May 19, 2021 7:22 am

Never heard of it, what is it for ?

Peshma
Tourist

Postby Peshma » Wed May 19, 2021 11:06 am

Pamela1, Manchesteral
We have never heard of this form before and it's separate to a visa. We came across it on a tweet from France who have a similar requirement. Someone had indicated that this applied in Spain as well and we subsequently found the information on the following website (Interior.gob.es).
We are now about to write to Gov.UK for their take on this.
we will pass on any info.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed May 19, 2021 11:14 am

Do you have the full URL as Interior.gob.es doesn't seem to exist?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Peshma
Tourist

Postby Peshma » Wed May 19, 2021 11:30 am

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados ... iones.aspx

Waiting a reply from the British consul on this.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:33 am

Peshma, i've been reading into this, there are numerous websites with info..I'n all honesty it's insane! Bureaucracy in Spain couldn't get any crazier, so had i been going to stay with any member of my Spanish family the info indicates that they would need to go to the police station to submit a letter of invitation which can take 20 days to get...Aparently they want proof and confirmation where people will be sleeping and staying if they don't have hotel/apartment bookings..Since when did border officals ask for a copy of your hotel info at passport control..or have they started doing this?

Peshma
Tourist

Postby Peshma » Wed May 19, 2021 11:38 am

Hi Pamela1
Hopefully they won't!
No clarification as yet from The Consul.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed May 19, 2021 3:28 pm

Yes, also been told of this on my local Spanish village forum. Me and my sister are booked to go to my wee casa in July. This would mean that I need to go through all that rigmarole for my sister to stay with me. There are also standard fees for her to stay with me. Think it is E74 fee and E7 per person each time. Don't know what you are supposed to do if you are aimlessly touring?

When I have travelled to America in the past, you filled in the visa fee waiver on the plane and had to state where you were staying.

We are not a Schengen country any more. So maybe other non-Schengen folk have been doing this all the time. The fees can mount up if you have several relatives/friends staying. And the palaver. On top of vaccine palaver. Might try to sell up. Can't be bothered with it all any more.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed May 19, 2021 5:01 pm

I wouldn't blame you Maureen...This will be the tipping point for many 2nd home owners and it will also miff off those resident in Spain who have visitors...Spain might just find themselves with an even bigger glut of properties on the market for sale, not good for anyone.I thought i'd heard it all but charging people to allow someone to stay in your home is pathetic.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed May 19, 2021 7:00 pm

bookings..Since when did border officals ask for a copy of your hotel info at passport control..or have they started doing this?
---------------
They can/do with third country non E.U nationals so i guess if this is correct its another brexit gift.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/brexpat ... 270739307/

Some info above. Iits only for those third country nationals who require a visa to enter which uk nationals dont. Yet they are waiting on clarification. Maybe if the uk keeps locking up spanish nationals in detention centers the document might be one of many issues

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed May 19, 2021 9:46 pm

Yes, imagine the outrage if a UK national was detained in a holding centre due to arriving with the wrong documents or even saying they were going to look for work because that is exactly what the UK have done to some Spanish citizens. One in particular who was joining up with family.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed May 19, 2021 10:06 pm

How do you know they haven’t. They don’t have a Guardian news in Spain. They could have been left to sleep in the airport for the next flight.

AkoAko
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby AkoAko » Thu May 20, 2021 9:49 am

Think you will find that its nothing new , its for Non EU visitors and although the UK is now Non EU that particular requirement doesn't apply to UK citizens because it was covered by the withdraw agreement .

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu May 20, 2021 10:26 am

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu May 20, 2021 11:23 am

I have always been asked to declare my accommodation when holidaying in US. In Italy, on top of hotel costs, we have had to pay a Tourist Tax on top of hotel charges

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu May 20, 2021 12:03 pm

Not just in Italy, some parts of Spain charge a daily tourist tax, notably the Balearics and Catalunia.

Sid

Peshma
Tourist

Postby Peshma » Thu May 20, 2021 12:09 pm

We too have submitted similar information when completing "Landing Cards' in various countries around the world (whether we had visas or not). However, we were never aware that our 'hosts' were paying for us to enter the country/stay at their accommodation!
Still waiting for info from the Embassy!!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu May 20, 2021 12:40 pm

Other countries do it as well, I seem to remember that in Barcelona last year, we paid it up front but in Rome a few years back, I paid it at the end of the stay. I'm going to Madrid next weekend and there there isn't one.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu May 20, 2021 4:24 pm

Yes Pamela 1,
I hope that it stays forever in the WA agreement and is not a transitional thing. Because it will irritate home owners, resident and non-resident. And Spain needs tourists' money