Changes to Electricity Tariffs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
casita-bonita
Resident

Re: Changes to Electricity Tariffs

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:29 pm

We've just moved from Nordic to Fortaluz who apparently have the cheapest variable rate available right now. We missed out on their low price fixed rate as they withdrew it during our switchover before the process was complete. However their variable rates are pretty low, in fact way below our last Nordic bill.

I would recommend James at sicompare.com who found the deal and organised the switchover. They will also monitor all supplier pricing and if a better deal than your current contract becomes available he will contact you with the details and handle switching. They have a website or you can contact James directly at [email protected]. Seems to be working for us so far.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:46 pm

If it is a true variable rate deal they cannot quote the rates as they vary every day. It sounds more like a fixed rate if they quote the kw/h rates.

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:12 pm

Not a fixed rate. I guess the prices quoted were the current prices at the time they informed me that the fixed contract was no longer available. It will become clear when our first bill arrives later this month. Should they turn out to be uncompetative, which i doubt then we will switch as there are no minimum length contracts as with some other suppliers. At the end of the day they add 0.01e to the market rate so cant see this being bettered.
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm

I’ve just checked the Fortaluz site and yes it is a variable rate. The figures they gave you are for the monthly charge, not the actual cost of the electricity. These rates don’t vary that much between supplier and are not that important unless you are a low user with a holiday home.

There is an official comparison site. These companies that recommend a particular supplier and do the changeover usually just recommend the supplier that pays them the best commission. They are certainly not impartial. To do the change of suppliers takes less than 5 minutes online and with Google Translate anyone could handle it.

If you opt, as I suggested, for a variable rate as you have, all the suppliers will charge the same usage rate apart from the monthly charge.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:52 pm

I think ours is variable rate although the breakdown of the bill is so complicated I cannot fathom it. The latest bill to 19 Sept showed we used 95kwh at the cheap rate and 42kwh each for the mid and peak rates. So far I think the small changes we have made such as in setting the water heater earlier for example, have made a difference. We could not avoid using aircon during peak times for instance, and the same will apply to heating.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:59 pm

El Cid wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm I’ve just checked the Fortaluz site and yes it is a variable rate. The figures they gave you are for the monthly charge, not the actual cost of the electricity. These rates don’t vary that much between supplier and are not that important unless you are a low user with a holiday home.

There is an official comparison site. These companies that recommend a particular supplier and do the changeover usually just recommend the supplier that pays them the best commission. They are certainly not impartial. To do the change of suppliers takes less than 5 minutes online and with Google Translate anyone could handle it.

If you opt, as I suggested, for a variable rate as you have, all the suppliers will charge the same usage rate apart from the monthly charge.

Sid

The prices are clearly marked kWh...,

Personally i would rather have someone do the legwork, rather than waste my life searching for all possible suppliers then checking all their deals... Of course he makes money from switching customers to alternate suppliers, as do gocompare, comparethemarket et al. If i save some euros as a result of his work then we are both happy...
Regards

Bob

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Sorry, but with a variable rate contract, by definition, you cannot quote a rate. The clue is in the word “variable”.

Good luck with it but you may be in for a shock!

Sid

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:14 pm

As i said earlier the prices illustrated were the rates at the time the email was sent. I never said or implied it was fixed rate deal.

Guess all will be revealed at the end of the month.

Shock, I don't think so. It'll take more than a few euros on my electric bill to shock me. If it is higher than Nordic was then i will simply switch to another supplier/deal. All it takes is an email or quick call.
Regards

Bob

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:06 pm

I think everyone is going to see a difference in the cost of electric and gas. I don't have gas, i have oil and that has shot through the roof also. The house in Spain is a holiday home so i'm not going to fret about electric costs at this moment in time.We have plenty of wood to burn if we go over in the colder weather.
I already know pensioners who are scared to switch their heating on, high prices do something to the minds of the elderly, especially those living alone on basic pensions, they get it into their minds that these higher energy prices will take every penny they have got and avoid switching the heating on..Not great considering last winter was miserable and they were having to self isolate.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:26 pm

I'm still happy with the tariff I'm on - one where I pay the same rate irrespective of the time of day or day of the week I use the electricity. I've just had my latest bill covering the months of August and September 2021 and it's for €78.69, which is €20 less than the same two months last year. The price was a fixed one from the beginning of June this year for 12 months and the supplier (Naturgy) is advertising the same terms today, with the price fixed for 24 months.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:14 pm

Lets hope the fixed price companies don't go bust :mrgreen:

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:36 pm

The supplier I'm with is the third largest energy company in Spain, after Endesa and Iberdrola. Both Endesa and Iberdrola are still offering fixed price electricity tariffs where you pay the same unit cost no matter what the time of day or day of the week you use it, so it is not only the small outfits who have not been in business very long who offer these kinds of deals.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:01 pm

Free at Last wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:26 pm I'm still happy with the tariff I'm on - one where I pay the same rate irrespective of the time of day or day of the week I use the electricity. I've just had my latest bill covering the months of August and September 2021 and it's for €78.69, which is €20 less than the same two months last year. The price was a fixed one from the beginning of June this year for 12 months and the supplier (Naturgy) is advertising the same terms today, with the price fixed for 24 months.
How many kwhs was that for, out of interest? Our bill for 179kwh for that period was 54.54€. We used less kwhs this year compared to the same period last year.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:13 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:01 pm

How many kwhs was that for, out of interest? Our bill for 179kwh for that period was 54.54€. We used less kwhs this year compared to the same period last year.
It was for 303 kwh, used over the two months August-September (with 5.75kw potencia). 150-ish per month is pretty standard for us in the summer months.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:12 pm

It’s difficult to compare prices especially if you look at the total cost. It’s the basic kwh charge that is going to go up. If anything the monthly potencia charge is going down also IVA was dropped from 21 to 10% and the 5% tax is being dropped. Just keep an eye on the basic kWh charge as that is the one that may increase a lot over the next 12 months. Most fixed term contracts have a get out clause if the wholesale prices go up. My fixed term contract went up 50% with one months notice.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:22 pm

Mine is "sin permanencia" so I could switch at any time, it's just that they guaranteed the cost per kwh and the potencia charge (with discount of 25% on that) for 12 months when I switched to that tariff with the same supplier I had before. They certainly haven't tried to change that over the 4 months since I went on to that tariff. 'll have to look around next April/May to see what the situation is and what tariffs are around at that time.

They are promoting their fixed rate for 24 months quite prominently on their website with their Tarifa Compromiso, but have now dropped the 25% discount on potencia charges so I am not inclined to switch to that anyway. The rate per kwh is the same as my Tarifa Por Uso which started at the beginning of June so they haven't altered that.

https://www.naturgy.es/hogar

The 5.11% tax on electricity consumption hasn't disappeared altogether, but it has been cut to 0.5%.