Changes to Electricity Tariffs

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Changes to Electricity Tariffs

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Tue May 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Was sent the link below by a neighour. First I have heard of these changes, not had any notification from Endesa, my electrical supplier. Anybody else been contacted by Endesa, or their supplier about this, or is it “fake news”?
To be fair it sounds complex enough to be a Spanish system!

https://energynordic.com/how-will-the- ... ffect-you/

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Changes to Electricity Tariffs

Postby Free at Last » Tue May 18, 2021 4:54 pm

I've read so much conflicting information about these changes - including, from some quarters, claims that it only applies to people who are presently on the Government regulated tariffs for electricity rather than in the free market - but I don't know if that is true or not. I haven't had notice of any changes to my tariff from my supplier either (Naturgy) and they are currently advertising tariffs on their website both for fixed monthly payments and one where the customer pays the same amount for electricity used at any time of the day or night. There are no notifications on their website about impending changes to tariffs, which seems odd if they were to come into effect in two weeks' time. I am billed monthly so shall just wait and see if there is any change to my bill at the beginning of July. I am not presently on any kind of day/night tariff so it will be easy to see if it changes.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed May 19, 2021 10:02 am

I came across this yesterday
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/04/ ... s-in-june/

Clear as mud! Just have to wait and see I guess what happens next month. I am with EnergiaXXI (part of Endesa) and was changed from Endesa for some reason a year or two ago. Not sure what tariff I am on, possibly the free market one as the price of the electricity seems to vary month on month.

EDIT: Just saw this today on my daily newsletter:
Electricity tariff changes: I owned an Energy Advisory Consultancy in the UK so I understand exactly what is being being implemented and how both the Government and Electric companies are doing the public a disservice with the lack of accurate details.
The euroweekly article is no longer accurate, the data that Valverde used back in Feb/ Mar has already changed several times, even the Consumers Organisation (OCU.org) offered a comparison which is now just nonsense.
The problem is that even though we are just 14 days away from the official implementation there are no officially published tariffs and Endesa has further muddied the waters by unofficially announcing a drop in the PUNTA tariff to 17.3 cents/Kw which is much lower than everyone elses 22.3 cents/Kw they have not however qualified for how long this tariff will remain in effect and the other 2 tariffs for levels LLANO and VALLE are now more expensive than the other companies. Well done Endesa, you have done it again, they are experts at sleight of hand much like their, for e.g. Tempo Happy 50 get 50 hrs FREE electricity just don't look at the price you are paying for Potencia and Kws used. The number of my Spanish neighbours who got taken in by that one was amazing so far I have dealt with 73 households and I thought I had retired.

Screagle
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Screagle » Wed May 19, 2021 10:32 am

Thanks for starting this topic - same here as not a word from Endesa on these changes. A couple of weeks ago (!) they sent round a reminder email inviting customers to join their Única de Endesa tariff but I'm going to stick with my Tarifa One Luz at 4,600kW pontencia for now. Thanks to the pandemic my bi-monthly bills have never been lower. Let's see what changes from next month...

Saludos

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:15 am

Have finally managed to access my supplier's new tariff and prices on their website and it is not good news - even the so called cheap rate which applies during the night and at weekends is slightly higher than the any time rate I was paying up to 1st June, the medium rate is almost 4 cents per kwh higher and the most expensive hours are just over double the previous rate. I shall be looking to switch. If a lot of consumers are going to find similar price hikes, I think the Government will be facing an outcry.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:28 am

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 11.00.37.png

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:01 pm

So does this apply to all electricity companies?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:20 pm

No, I am with Modo since when I changed over from Iberdrola. I am on the existing double tarif. This has not changed, the hours are the same as before and the rates have gone down by a small amount. I am on a 14kw potencia which might make a difference as previously that meant I was in the open market rather that the subsidised less than 10kw normal market.

It’s certainly worth checking other options. It is now very easy to change suppliers with no hassle at all.

Sid

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:48 pm

Mine has changed because I wasn't on a double hours tariff before, just paid one single rate per kwh (which last month was 0.1060). Under the tariff they have put me on now, under the new punto, llano y valle system, the punto rate is 0.23 something, the llano rate is 0.1440 and the valle rate is 0.1111. It looks as though the potencia charges have been reduced a bit, and the supplier is giving 25% discount on the potencia charges for one year, so that may offset the increased unit costs for the time being. The new 3-time period system might actually benefit me for about 8 months of the year, if I switch to a cheaper supplier (of the ones I've looked at so far, Endesa's prices look more reasonable) as we hardly need to use any electricity during the most expensive periods, but for the other 4 months of the year when we need to use the aircon for heating between 6 and 10pm every evening, that would seem to be a lot more expensive for 5 nights of the week although cheaper for the other 2. Decisions, decisions ...

Suppliers do still seem to have tariffs on offer where you pay the same rate whatever the time of day, but the prices are higher than before. Again Endesa's is a fair bit lower than the new one my supplier (Naturgy) is offering.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:54 am

It's a joke saying that people can save on their bills by using off peak electricity which is midnight to 8am as many things like heating and aircon will be necessary during the peak evening hours. I have set the water heater to be on earlier so it is off by 8am, and that's one of our highest power items at 1.5kw. I am not an early bird so will not be using anything else during which, for me, is in the wee small hours! We use the dishwasher on a short program every 3 days and I do not do daily washing and have a gas cooker, so the biggest user will be evening aircon usage for heating/cooling which we cannot avoid. Of course the 21% IVA doesn't help either. By far the highest rate in the EU.

One of the reasons stated for the electricity changes is so that people are encouraged to buy more efficient items. Our water heater and washing machine are quite new, but the dishwasher is old and I am not going to replace it until it goes wrong. I'm sure most people are like us and only replace expensive white goods when they have to.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:10 am

We are still on the twin tariff where the low rate is 14 hours from 11pm to 1pm. All the high power items are used within that period, even the underfloor heating. The only high wattage items that are used in the peak period are the aircon units.

Over 12 months 78% of our usage is in the off peak period and it saves us a huge amount. I would not like the new periods at all, but our supplier is leaving us on the original twin tariff.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 pm

I'm with EnergiaXXI and I see it's cheap rate for the whole of the weekend (and the many fiesta days), so at least that's 2 days of cheaper electricity. It will be what it will be, as we cannot do much more to avoid the higher rate. Our bills are up and down a lot anyway, anything from 36€ to 86€pm depending on the time of year.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:16 pm

Yes the weekend deal is good but there have been other deals where you can choose free periods. I really think it is now worth looking at all the offers around as it has suddenly opened up the market whereas before, unless you were classified as a heavy user, the rates were almost the same whoever you went to.

By shopping around we have reduced our bill by 35%, which when you use 12000 kw in a year is a lot of money.

Sid

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:23 pm

Shopping around sounds like a good idea. In the UK it is easy to do by using online comparison websites who will even help you switch supplier - is there any equivalent in Spain?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:05 pm

The government site is. https://comparador.cnmc.gob.es/comparad ... B262DD8001

I’m not sure if it covers the new rates yet

Switching Is as easy as switching your mobile phone supplier, just a few days.

Sid

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:21 pm

Thanks Sid

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:34 pm

I have only just heard of the news and I’m confused. Looked at my Endesa app and it says I’m on tariff “tempo happy”. That’s today, June 9th. So do this mean Endesa will soon switch me to the new time zones? From the posts earlier I assumed everyone was switched to the new time/cost periods n 1st June.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:28 pm

I don’t deal with the electric or gas so I didn’t realise until yesterday that the tariffs had changed for us as well.

Wife is now doing the washing machine at night. The problem is that she forgets to hang out the washing in the morning or tell me that there’s some in the machine.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:52 pm

My friends had tempo happy and seem to think they have now changed to the new tariff and times. I guess it will be clearer when the first bills at the end of June come out.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Free at Last wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:15 am Have finally managed to access my supplier's new tariff and prices on their website and it is not good news - even the so called cheap rate which applies during the night and at weekends is slightly higher than the any time rate I was paying up to 1st June, the medium rate is almost 4 cents per kwh higher and the most expensive hours are just over double the previous rate. I shall be looking to switch. If a lot of consumers are going to find similar price hikes, I think the Government will be facing an outcry.
Subject to approval on Thursday, the Government is to reduce IVA on electricity bills to 10% from the present 21%, as a temporary measure at least for the remainder of this year. It has obviously dawned on them how much a vote loser these increases would be for them.

https://elpais.com/economia/2021-06-21/ ... al-10.html