How is everybody getting on, what with Brexit and Covid ?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: How is everybody getting on, what with Brexit and Covid ?

Postby pepe jose » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:00 pm

nice one benidorm.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:32 pm

Nice to have you back Gordon :wave: . I must say I have said the same as you ... you find out who your friends are as very few have bothered to keep in touch. It doesn't take much to send a Whatsapp but I realise now that it is usually me that is doing the running. People who I used to see every every week during the winter have not bothered to keep in touch with any of our group that used to meet weekly.

I know friends of friends that have decided to move back to the UK after 20 years here for different reasons, but here is home and the UK is not, so I cannot see myself ever returning to a country that feels foreign to me now.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:58 pm

Best way to avoid Brits is avoid Andalucia. Full of ‘em.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:12 pm

Katy commented...
''Best way to avoid Brits is avoid Andalucia. Full of ‘em.''

Not where we live .!!!!

Best way to avoid Brits is to avoid Britain.... :D
I'm joking of course I do have many wonderful Brit Friends.....
Saludos,
Gordon..

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:00 am

:thumbup: Good to see you back on form. I have heard that a lot of the Brit rife raffe have gone. If I were choosing to get away from my own countrymen it would be somewhere around Costa de la luz. Would have to like solitude though, unless fluent.

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:19 am

katy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:58 pm Best way to avoid Brits is avoid Andalucia. Full of ‘em.
Not east of malaga. Agree south of Malaga though.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:47 am

Andalucia is a big place! Unless you think andalucia is fuengiorla and torre! Also for those working sometimes they have no choice but to live in certain areas.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:57 am

Katy,
Thank you for the compliment, Blimey..
' What ever next Katy' .....Maybe I'll even get a Christmas card from you this year.... :think:

I don't think that there is anything wrong with living in a Brit community, but I would suggest choosing friends carefully would be a priority..

Saludos,
Gordon ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:52 am

I certainly don't live in a Brit community. There is only one neighbouring holiday home and they are German, and I am otherwise surrounded by Spanish farmers. Torrox pueblo is far more Scandanavian/German and there used to be an international mix at my social gatherings (not held locally), including a smattering of Canadians. It's just that some of the people I saw most regularly outside of that happened to be British as we had common interests. The people who have returned to England are not those that haven't been legal here, it's due to death and illness that they are going back. It's been like that for all the years we've been here, that many do return (often as they miss their family), but I couldn't do that after 21 years away and I have no family ties to draw me back there.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:29 am

There isn't a brit around that i know of in the area where our property is located, nor in the village where OTH was born and grew up..The closest contact i have in Andalucia with brits is on this forum so it's the next best thing, to be able to share and learn from other peoples experiences on how to get things done. :wave:

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:04 am

elusive wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:47 am Andalucia is a big place! Unless you think andalucia is fuengiorla and torre! Also for those working sometimes they have no choice but to live in certain areas.
Know most of it, East too except Almeria. Spent a year exchange at Sevilla University and lived in Spain around 13 years. Always Brits and their cars in every village I visited east of Malaga too. (Many thousands bought illegal properties around there too) Not many Brits around Jaen area. So stop the snarky put downs!

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:14 pm

not a brit plated car in our village

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:33 pm

Years ago there used to be quite a few Brit reg cars owners that we knew lived here, but the only ones I see now are Brits on holiday I think as I rarely see any. I used to the see the old ones often enough to know they were always here. The police are much hotter on it now I think. A couple that had a French registered car were stopped in Lidl car park by the police a few months back and given a week to change their plates. They were just about to do it anyway and hadn't lived here that long, but it seems the police are more on the ball. Whether there are more in areas that are dubbed 'Little Britain' by the locals I don't know. As I say, I do not live in a very British town.

pepe jose
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pepe jose » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:40 pm

if you sat in any cafe in the chilches benajaraffe area you would see lots of Brit plated cars drive past. Now you see none. All either sent them home or re registered them since brexit.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:16 pm

AndyLucyOne wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:25 am Yearning to see Andalucia again !

What differences have the llast 12-18 months made to living in Andalucia ?
Hola.

It is not the differences over the last few months, but the differences to come. I think we will see a massive reduction in pensioners retiring here due to the yearly income requirements, the health system and having to take a driving test. And before people leap up and down, it is all under review BUT if it doesn't change, then fewer Brits will retire here.

COVID has made differences, especially to people living in "lock up and go" apartments; many people now want something larger "in the country" as the vicious lockdown rules kept people indoors

Just my opinion as i see it around here

Davexf

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:37 pm

Davexf, yes i agree...the differences to come.Also the lock up and go apartments, many campo properties which were usualy just occupied at weekends and holiday times are now ocupied with people during the week.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:23 am

Good points dave. Although there are negotiations going on re the driving licence exchange but other than that it is what it is.Alot of people wont have the opportunity to retire or work here anymore. People selling holiday homes as they cant come in the winter for aslong as they want aswell.

But those people are being replaced by many more northern europeans. Belgiums,dutch etc etc

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:03 am

Pamela1 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:37 pm Davexf, yes i agree...the differences to come.Also the lock up and go apartments, many campo properties which were usualy just occupied at weekends and holiday times are now ocupied with people during the week.
Yes it's noticeable here how many Spanish have moved into their campo houses. There's been constant building going on in this area over the past year or so, with little single span cortijos suddenly sprouting huge extensions, swimming pools and loads of terracing. Our track is much busier now with traffic than ever before although it's possible this trend started before Covid struck. It just seems to have accelerated it.

I agree with what people are saying about the future here, with less Brits coming. Although for a few years now everyone I know that has sold their property has sold it to other northern Europeans, often Swedish or Belgium. It has become more expensive around here (and Nerja prices are wild) so not sure if that has affected the markets for the Brits wanting to come here. Watching the last series of Place in the Sun that was filmed last year, some people looking in this area (Axarquia) didn't have very big budgets. Apart from Brexit, it is not as cheap to live here as it used to be, so people looking for a home for 120K and having a small income wouldn't have fared well anyway. Certainly the current 90/180 day rules will affect things this winter when many people I know used to come here from Oct- March each year.

Edit:
Just seen this in the paper too, another hurdle to anyone leaving the UK post Brexit to live in the EU,
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consu ... st-brexit/
For expats moving to the EU after Dec 2020, if taken ill when visiting the UK they would have to pay for any treatment needed whilst there.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Just for comparison sake, in Extremadura it is the Dutch and Belgians who are buying. They have no Brexit or currency problems but do have overcrowded little countries they wish to escape from. I think we will all see fewer people from the U.K. for a long while.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:25 pm

We noticed litterally a few brits when in extremadura and the obligatory illegal brit car! . Even that was a surprise to us.

When we came here in 2014 we saw very few Belgian cars. Now every other we see. And we have a few belgium neighbours aswell. Ontop of the huge amounts of Scandinavian estate agents that have opened. Thats where the money is