driving offence fine

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

driving offence fine

Postby gavilan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 am

in early May a friend was charged with a driving offence ... Torrow court ... banned from driving for 8 months, licence confiscated and fined 700 euros ... he was told that an office in Malaga would issue/send fine details ... 4 months later he has still not received demand for payment of fine .. ?is this time-lag normal?! ...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: driving offence fine

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:26 pm

He could register with DGT (which may need a digital certificate?) then he can access any mail from them, and should be able to see the progress of the fine?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:41 pm

thanks for that suggestion por ... will pass info on to friend ... thanks again

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:36 am

gavilan wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 am in early May a friend was charged with a driving offence ... Torrow court ... banned from driving for 8 months, licence confiscated and fined 700 euros ... he was told that an office in Malaga would issue/send fine details ... 4 months later he has still not received demand for payment of fine .. ?is this time-lag normal?! ...
A word of warning for your friend, Last year an aquaintence of mine was fined in Las Palmas for speeding, I don't remember the amount (around 200 I think but substantial) he was in the bar boasting that he hadn't paid it after some time because nobody had informed him of the details, his fine was increased recently because he hadn't paid it, when he finally went to the police station to find out what was going on he was told by the guy there that "we are not your parents, it's up to you to take care of your own problems" Apparently this is now becoming the norm within bureaucracy, tit's also a very convenient way of raising much needed revenue !

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:38 am

Am I alone in wondering what offence(s) would warrant such a hefty punishment?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:25 pm

You are not alone, I too was wondering that, it's a very substantial punishment !

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:00 pm

not sure if you are referring to my friend's offence/fine or Las Palmas guy ... but someone who used to work for me was banned from driving for 14 months cos had not renewed his driving licence ... dont know if he was fined as well ...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:14 pm

You don’t get a ban for not renewing your licence but you can go to prison if you don’t have a licence at all.

Of course if you have already lost most of the points on your licence, that can make a difference.

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:08 pm

it has occurred to me that I have to go to Torre del Mar police station to start process for TIE at the end of this month ... if friend comes with me, he could enquire there re fine ... will bear in mind Manchesteral comment!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:15 pm

That is the Policía Nacional. They don’t do traffic fines. For that you need to go to the DGT office in Málaga.

Sid

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:23 pm

thanks for reminding me Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:08 pm

I have received a couple traffic fines, quite easy when travelling on long journeys through Spain and a fine for driving through a restricted area in Madrid. My son even got one which confused his number plate with another.

I don’t think tráfico make it difficult to pay. The fine always arrives registered and explains the way to pay. As in the UK, only half is paid if paid promptly. The easiest way is through your bank, either online or just present the fine at the desk in the bank and they will take the funds from your account.

My son complained and because a photo is taken of the offence, he was able to prove that he had not been anywhere near Barcelona that day and that the colour and make of the cars were completely different.

I would imagine that it’s better for tráfico to receive fines quickly and any increase in cost of the fine is down to the extra work involved in tracking down non-payments