'Brit Expats leaving Spain...'

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Manchesteral
Resident

Re: 'Brit Expats leaving Spain...'

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:09 pm

elusive wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:43 am
phototext wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:50 pm Surely an issue for some leaving is the need and cost for medical insurance to become resident. Flying under the radar must be much harder now.

We are finding that travel insurance is getting expensive and trips for older people restricted to 31 days. I consider it an essential knowing a few people who have fallen ill on a trip.
Medical insurance for those under state pension age yes that could be an issue. I know a few people living here under state pension age on very small private pensions with no health care. One couple went back in the last few months,although they had been unsettled for a few years i think covid and brexit probably was the final straw. I dont believe they had any cover/residents so it would have been hard for them to get covered under the W.A even though they had been here 7 years

Because of my unique situation, British passport and nationality, Finnish passport and nationality, Spanish (5 year) residency, I apparently do not qualify for Spanish health cover (this is under (review) or at least nobody wants to take responsibility for it, I have private health insurance with Sanitas/Sanitad and it costs me 1800 euros per year which equates to 5 euros per day, this is well worth it to me for my peace of mind !!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:19 am

I have a TIE but my passport was stamped going to the UK in June and coming back in August.
Maybe they are just doing everyone just in case of something-or-other?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:19 pm

At the gib border today and leaving spain we showed passports and when the cnp officer mentioned a stamp we said we are residents. He wasnt bothered about seeing evidence just waved us through. Re entering spain we showed passports and green residents docs through the window and were waved on..

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 pm

Genie wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:17 pm I have read the above with interest - however, I have lived in Tenerife for the last 23 years or so. Having recently just had to return to Ireland to sell my house there and returned straight back to Tenerife - why has my passport been stamped ? I have only travelled within Europe and did not foresee this. I am British by the way but obviously have not been there for many years. Does anyone know why this is?
It's because of the fact you left the Schengen area. Ireland is not in Schengen so there is and has always been passport control when entering and leaving both Ireland and Spain when travelling between the 2 countries.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:26 am

Still shouldnt be stamped if the O.P is a legal spanish resident

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:04 am

markwilding wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 pm
Genie wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:17 pm I have read the above with interest - however, I have lived in Tenerife for the last 23 years or so. Having recently just had to return to Ireland to sell my house there and returned straight back to Tenerife - why has my passport been stamped ? I have only travelled within Europe and did not foresee this. I am British by the way but obviously have not been there for many years. Does anyone know why this is?
It's because of the fact you left the Schengen area. Ireland is not in Schengen so there is and has always been passport control when entering and leaving both Ireland and Spain when travelling between the 2 countries.
Did you hand over your TIE/residency card with your passport? My OH travelled a few weeks back to the UK and showed his TIE at passport control both ways and they did not stamp his passport. They won't know you are Spanish resident unless you show your residencia.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:12 am

I haven't been anywhere since Covid but I would imagine that as Elusive has said, as long as you show the TIE, it shouldn't be a problem. Where there might be some confusion is that because Ireland is in the EU, some might think this means there is no border control when in fact there is. On flights to Ireland you have to show passports to the police before boarding.

Genie didn't mention it in the post if he had shown it or not so It might worth mentioning that the police at passport control cannot just take one's word that they are residents.
Last edited by markwilding on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:16 pm

Ours got stamped in October at Cherbourg. So we will no doubt be hunted down like dogs and elected in late January. Probably wont be travelling abroad next year due to Covid variants yet to be released.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:48 pm

olive wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:16 pmProbably wont be travelling abroad next year due to Covid variants yet to be released.
:wtf: :wtf: oh the irony if that comes true ... :shh: :lolno: :lolno: :think:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:54 pm

markwilding wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:12 am...because Ireland is in the EU, some might think this means there is no border control when in fact there is.
Wait, what? :shock: You mean, Ireland won't have to leave the EU in order to "take back control" of its borders?? Who knew?!

(Meanwhile, on a beach somewhere in Kent... :roll: )
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.