'Brit Expats leaving Spain...'

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: 'Brit Expats leaving Spain...'

Postby Enrique » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:35 am

Hi,
All the info is in the various 90 day Calculators............

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

https://www.visa-calculator.com/

Put in your dates and adjust accordingly for your next visit...........all this has been Posted previously on A.com site.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:41 am

Wicksey wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:29 am
Cádiz wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:54 am I understand the 183 day rule but i like is some explain 90 day rule.
I know the max days for UK resident is 90 days in one trip.

My question is will a person have to return to UK for more than 90 days before returning to Spain...
Also do people think the passport control people be checking this...
Yes, that is the whole point. The UK is now a third country so Brits are treated like anyone else from outside the EU and can only be here for 90 out of any 180 days. You have to be out of the EU for 90 days before returning, so any trip to an EU country will count and your passport is stamped on entry. This is why you have to be careful if you travel through France to get here as the clock starts ticking the moment you arrive there. If you've just had 90 days here you cannot then have a weekend away in another EU country the next month for example.

I agree with Cid that the holidaymakers spend proportionally more than people here long term. Unless you have a very good income I would think (from the 'snowbirds' I have known) that they live here for the winter to save money on UK expenses like heating bills etc. I would imagine though that the very British areas are noticing it more, but where we are there are mainly Germans and other northern Europeans these days and certainly this summer was full of tourists.
Thanks for that... more or less what i thought but nice to have confirmed.
It not effect me as i spend less than 90 days a year..
I know a Canadian guy who had all kinda schemes, they eventually became resident ...

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:30 pm

daveboy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:49 am [quote=

Just a few?? More like 10s of thousands. You obviously walk around with your eyes shut.
Quite possibly 10s thousands, but that is a tiny number compared to the 18 million Brits who come to Spain on holiday.

Sid

northandsouth
Resident

Postby northandsouth » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:28 pm

ashtondav wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:03 pm I think the economic impact will be considerable in areas popular with the 6 month “snow birds”. I wouldn’t be surprised if more latitude were allowed for home owners. I guess the Schengen origin of 90 in 180 rather than 180 in 365 lies in the fact that the latter may encourage more foreigners taking jobs. I have no wish to stay over 183 days and become tax resident in Spain. I do want to spend 4 months (not 3)between May and October. As this is not possible my not inconsiderable local expenditure will decline by 25% and be transferred to the uk economy. Now that may be offset by Spaniards staycationing but talking to many in the hospitality industry Brits spend 3 or 4 times more than the spanish.
We look after several holiday properties, many have been sold recently that were owned by British retirees, and in the main the new buyers are Swedes and Belgians. Indeed we now have more Belgian clients than British and I have to say ,almost without exception, that they are lovely people and they do spend their euros well too :clap: :clap:

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:20 pm

Yes but instead of all those lovely Swedes and Belgians REPLACING Brits, they could be in addition! Still involves loss of money.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:06 pm

It is what it is and the only real winners are the banks back in the Uk and the economy when they deposit their home sale proceedings, perhaps that is what B is all about.... stopping people from wanting to take their money out of the country and embracing it when it comes back in.. :lol: Maybe the EU will eventually bend and revisit the 90/180 rule, who knows..If they don't then so be it.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:25 pm

northandsouth wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:28 pm
ashtondav wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:03 pm I think the economic impact will be considerable in areas popular with the 6 month “snow birds”. I wouldn’t be surprised if more latitude were allowed for home owners. I guess the Schengen origin of 90 in 180 rather than 180 in 365 lies in the fact that the latter may encourage more foreigners taking jobs. I have no wish to stay over 183 days and become tax resident in Spain. I do want to spend 4 months (not 3)between May and October. As this is not possible my not inconsiderable local expenditure will decline by 25% and be transferred to the uk economy. Now that may be offset by Spaniards staycationing but talking to many in the hospitality industry Brits spend 3 or 4 times more than the spanish.
We look after several holiday properties, many have been sold recently that were owned by British retirees, and in the main the new buyers are Swedes and Belgians. Indeed we now have more Belgian clients than British and I have to say ,almost without exception, that they are lovely people and they do spend their euros well too :clap: :clap:
I also have noticed a lot of Belgians buying property in the last few years...
There is also the possibility that Spain is trying to re-brand and shift from late night with crowds of people as i do not the late-night bars and night-clubs will return to anything like they were.
Also will people be comfortable in these tiny apartments... there is a new game in town and it be interesting to see... The tourist scene on the west coast of Spain is completely different to the med... interesting times ahead....

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Two local finca sales in this area during the last two months. One to a Dutch couple and the other to a Belgian couple.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:56 pm

Finca sales! Can only be good news for Campo property sellers and good for the areas where they are located..Having said that there are no Swedes/Dutch/Belgian people in the area where we are located, some French and one Russian but that's about it...Still, there has been an upsurge in Campo properties since Covid, think people had enough of being shut away in apartments without any outdoor space.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:29 pm

Cádiz wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:54 am I understand the 183 day rule but i like is some explain 90 day rule.
I know the max days for UK resident is 90 days in one trip.

My question is will a person have to return to UK for more than 90 days before returning to Spain...
Also do people think the passport control people be checking this...
Hola,

The 90 day rule is simple if you remember there are 365 X 180 periods every year.

To calculate just remember today is day 180 and yesterday is day 179 etc. If you have spent less than 90 days in the last 180 in the Schengen area, then you will be allowed in.
So for an example, you could spend all of February, April, June, August, October and December in Spain.

If you have spent 90 days in one lump, then after THREE months, you start gaining days when you can return to Spain. so after three months and one week, you return for a weeks holiday in Spain

Davexf

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:07 pm

Would be better if they did 6 months in and 6 months out like USA.
As for foreign buyers best check official figures instead of hearsay.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:31 am

I am expecting people who do not have assetts in the UK be safe enough... anyone who has property income from UK would be wise to stick with 90x2 as the Spanish may be targeting if person go over 183 days...

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:22 am

Cádiz; Not sure if passport control people are checking, or not, but, even with my TIE card, my passport was date stamped on going to the UK (June) and on reentering Spain (August).

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:17 am

I can only say what i see at the Airport and the passports are scanned... i am wondering if these scanners are set-up to trigger if someone have obverstayed time allowed... i am actually thinking more in terms of tax domicile (183) more than the 90 days...
It really not effect me but i like to know these things...

A few years ago i know a person who had difficulty claiming insurance payment for a health procedure under private health care...
The question was asked because they have a place in Canary Isalnds...

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:28 am

I guess it's up to each person to make sure they don't over stay if it could mean a tax threat hanging over their heads...Times have changed! A couple of Brits i knew who never registered as residents in Spain over stayed by 10 yrs, never paid a cent in non resident tax, enjoyed free healthcare with their ethic cards and drove their Brit pickup which they took to Spain all the way back to Uk when they packed up and left.Their contract Spanish phone went with them.They emptied their Spanish bank account and deposited their house sale check in their uk bank..In other words they were one of many who have got the tshirt, " i did it because i could "

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:58 pm

Its more about over staying the 90 days but not going over the 183 interms of fines and bans. Each E.U country tends to do their own thing but certainly not a risk to take if you have a property here.

I thought the 90/180 was quite simple interms of counting forward 180 and using up 90 during that time but it appears to more complicated. Straight over my head :shock: :crazy:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:00 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:28 am I guess it's up to each person to make sure they don't over stay if it could mean a tax threat hanging over their heads...Times have changed! A couple of Brits i knew who never registered as residents in Spain over stayed by 10 yrs, never paid a cent in non resident tax, enjoyed free healthcare with their ethic cards and drove their Brit pickup which they took to Spain all the way back to Uk when they packed up and left.Their contract Spanish phone went with them.They emptied their Spanish bank account and deposited their house sale check in their uk bank..In other words they were one of many who have got the tshirt, " i did it because i could "
Under the radars at their finest. Unfortunately theres many like that while those daft enough to obey the law get picked apart

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:23 pm

After reading the latest tax scammers in the Pandora case who cares if a working class couple evade a few thousand.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:15 pm

i agree Katy

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Somehow I don’t thing the Spanish taxman will accept that argument when they catch up with these “under the radar” tax evaders.

Just remember that using tax havens to legally avoid paying tax is legal. Not declaring your income is illegal.

Sid