Spanish Will

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Will

Postby elusive » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:02 pm

Agree with wicksey or if you do want someone to do it for you use a gestor. Far cheaper than a lawyer who will probably get the gestor/paralegal in the office to do it and charge you as if a lawyer had done it!

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:51 pm

gruff wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:03 am Having now inherited the Spanish house I'm recommended to make a Spanish will. I only have a distant nephew to leave it to who probably would not thank me for the work involved and having to spend a lot of time in Spain. Do I have other options?

Marriage of convenience may be an option... if the house looks good i may marry you marry myself if you send me pic of house...

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:27 am

I apologise for continuing this. I've spoken to my nephew and it is my intention to name him as beneficiary when I make a Spanish will next visit to Spain but... I am getting married in a couple of months. My future wife has said she would not want the hassle of selling the Spanish property and is happy for my nephew to be named. Bear in mind I will probably sell in the next couple of years. Is this going to be o.k?

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:02 am

Not directly related to this story but, as a matter of interest, a Friend of mine who is a Finnish citizen but resident in the U K for many years inherited a very valuable apartment in Helsinki, at the time, several years ago, it was valued at "around" 3 million euros.

On inheriting it he paid (1st() an inheritance tax of around 28% (2nd) because he sold it before owning it for 2 years he had to pay a further 16% tax, at the end of the day he ended up with a little over 2 million, he certainly doesn't need the money but that's a very hefty sum gouged out of a gift left to him by his parents !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:52 pm

Terrible :wink:

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:21 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:21 pm You can go directly to a Notary to complete the will for you. The abogado will simply do the same and then charge a huge amount for doing it. When we did our wills in Torrox a few years back they were 38€ each and were in Spanish and English. They were fairly easy to complete and you can include the fact that you want them to be dealt with under UK succession rules.
Hi Wicksey, am i right in assuming you speak good enough Spanish to do this directly with the Notary, or was the Notary bilingual?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:19 am

The notary did speak English but it was a fairly simple will for us as we don't have any family to leave anything to, so we could have probably managed it OK in Spanish. The will was produced in Spanish with an English translation alongside.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:36 am

Don’t know present tax rates but myself and other Nephews and Nieces inherited a Villa many years ago. Tax due was huge and faced with having to pay upfront before sale.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:21 pm

Wicksey wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:19 am The notary did speak English but it was a fairly simple will for us as we don't have any family to leave anything to, so we could have probably managed it OK in Spanish. The will was produced in Spanish with an English translation alongside.
thanks Wicksey

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:52 am

just as a post script, as per Wicksey's suggestion I have contacted the notary direct and they have quoted me (in english) 50 euros for a dual column spanish will to deal with my property. it will be a simple inheritence to my children so relatively uncomplicated from the Will perspective. Much cheaper than going through an abogado

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:04 pm

So... can anyone recommend a Notary in Torre del Mar or Velez Malaga for this?