Our buying experience in Andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Our buying experience in Andalucia

Postby katy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:55 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: Let us know how you get on good luck.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:57 pm

Well, the bank foned while we were at work, they gave us the passwords to the online banking app, it's actually going through 'liberbank' which is a part of unicaja.

We logged in, and had to 'digitally sign' about 20 things each. Then we had to call the agent, tell them that we had done it, and they said 'ok, in the next 11 days we will tell you when your appointment is with the notaria.

'Cool, we are off today and tomorrow, then next Thursday and Friday.'

'OK, I'll get back to you. Oh, you'll get a text message and email about choosing a notary, it's a legal requirement. Let me know when you get it and we will move forward'

The text arrived about 3 minutes later. We called the agent..

'OK, you have an appointment at 10am tomorrow'

:eek: that was unexpected, but hey.. it's moving quickly now!

The agent called us this afternoon 'the owners son is working and won't have time to take everything out, can he come after you sign and get things still?'

'Erm we will talk about what he wants to take, cos we need to get our stuff in, we can't have the house full of furniture still?'
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:47 am

Fantastic. Bet you can't wait to get your hands on the keys

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 am

And thank you for your comprehensive but easy to understand account of the buying process and costs

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am

We have generally 'inherited' all the old rubbish furniture that the previous owners have left behind. We've had to wait outside once whilst the owners took out all their stuff after having been to the notary. The one exception to it all being rubbish was our current house where the owners only took their clothes, and left the house completely furnished with good quality items. However, like you we had all our own furniture but managed to sell just about all of the old stuff whilst we carried on with our rental home for a couple of weeks. Can you overlap so you continue in your rental home after you've bought the new house for a week, or even a few days, so you can get the house cleared?

Good luck. Hope it all progresses smoothly from now.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:33 am

spanish_lad,

I hope u realise that you'll need 2 trips to the notary on 2 different days - the first is where u get interviewed by the notary alone, to confirm that u understand the mortgage implications. If u don't understand the contents, the bank is informed and have to redo/change the paperwork, etc. before u get interviewed again. Only when u pass, does the seller get involved, usually at a later date. New rules from 1 or 2 years ago. If everything is done in one sitting, it means due diligence wasn't followed.

Personally, I would not allow the seller any access to property after the deal is done. There are 24 hours in a day, I'm sure he's not working all of them.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:39 pm

jhonie99 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:33 am spanish_lad,

I hope u realise that you'll need 2 trips to the notary on 2 different days - the first is where u get interviewed by the notary alone, to confirm that u understand the mortgage implications. If u don't understand the contents, the bank is informed and have to redo/change the paperwork, etc. before u get interviewed again. Only when u pass, does the seller get involved, usually at a later date. New rules from 1 or 2 years ago. If everything is done in one sitting, it means due diligence wasn't followed.

I cant see that rule brought in within the last 2 years as everything was done at distance due to covid. Is it different if you are a cash buyer?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:41 pm

jhonie99 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:33 am
Personally, I would not allow the seller any access to property after the deal is done. There are 24 hours in a day, I'm sure he's not working all of them.
I had the same conversation with our solicitor when we bought. I said once I have paid they could stop for a few days to clear out but he assured me that doesn't happen in Spain. Thankfully it didn’t.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:53 pm

One house we bought they left a couple of light fittings removed and a cheap single bed. Put them in basement and kept for about a year then threw them out. They actually came back and very indignant. They also left a pan of curry in oven

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:37 pm

We were allowed to stay on our first house here for a few days before leaving. Our purchasers were English and obviously trusted us! Not much you can do when you leave the notary after signing then the sellers announce they still need to empty the place as they lived in Cordoba and this was the first time they had been back to the property. We sat outside on a bench and watched them.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 pm

When we bought our property it was during the first week of a very cold December in Andalucía, the sellers asked if they could stay on at the property for a few days, they had a ferry booking back to the Uk and were travelling in a pick-up truck packed with belongings.They felt safer staying put until the last min... The husband had also had a very bad heart scare in the previous few months and had spent time in Granada hospital..We were staying with OTH's family and had no intention of moving into the house or doing anything until we could return the following year so we didn't see any harm in them staying on for a last few days.
The following year we returned, we were ready to get in the place and sort through what we wanted and what we didn't want, do some painting and just make it our own...the sale had included all the furniture and other items in the outbuildings including small tractor etc etc...The tractor was gone, so were many other items, the penny dropped, they had used those few days to make any extra money they could, truth be told i think they already had a buyer lined up for the the tractor..
Most of what was left was just rubbish and not worth house room, that didn't bother me because i wanted my own things..It's water under the bridge now and a lesson learnt.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 pm

When we agreed our sale they included the fridge, everything else was going. We got the keys and sure enough they had taken the fridge. I rang the agent and said they need to bring it back. He spoke to the seller who said its only worth 100 euros so didn’t think we would mind them giving it to a friend. I actually only wanted it so we could move in and keep the milk etc cool until we bought new. I have never forwarded on any of their mail surprisingly.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:45 am

So we went to our appointment yesterday morning and met with the notary.. she explained everything and we signed to agree the mortgage and the purchase..

We are signing on the 31st ! Then we will get the keys and the house will be ours !!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:46 am

Whichever country you are living in, moving is pretty stressful all round and people unfortunately do abuse your trust. Luckily for our purchasers all those years ago, we are not those sort of people, and we've always left our properties clean and in order, with usually a bottle of fizz to welcome them too if they've been good buyers.

We've never bought with a mortgage abroad which sounds like an added complication, but it sounds like it is progressing according to plan SL. Not long to go now!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:47 am

maureenscot wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 am And thank you for your comprehensive but easy to understand account of the buying process and costs

Exactly why I'm doing this, to give everyone else the information

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:49 am

costakid wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 pm When we agreed our sale they included the fridge, everything else was going.
Funny enough the guy has already pulled out all the white goods - and scrapped them 'cos they were old and rubbish' - he had a big pile of caes and stuff outside the house when we saw it last time.

Shame, like you I would of liked the fridge at least, just to move our food.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:54 am

Pamela1 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:47 pmMost of what was left was just rubbish and not worth house room, that didn't bother me because i wanted my own things...
When we last saw the house it was .. ok to move in tomorrow, everything was still there, sofas, cupboards, beds, wardrobes, paintings on the wall etc etc.

Personal items are gone, but there's still kids toys and stuff in the bedrooms, spare furniture in the shed, etc.

It would be nice to have some things to use temporarily, until we can afford to replace them

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 am

Wicksey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:52 am We have generally 'inherited' all the old rubbish furniture that the previous owners have left behind....Can you overlap so you continue in your rental home after you've bought the new house for a week, or even a few days, so you can get the house cleared?
Oh we'll be renting for at least the whole of February, we are working - the house has been empty for 3 years, it needs a good clean, and the electric has been suspended to stop okupas, so I need to sort that out before we can move in.
Water is OK, it's a tank at the back of the house that needs to be filled when it's empty.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 am

jhonie99 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:33 amspanish_lad,

I hope u realise that you'll need 2 trips to the notary on 2 different days....

...Personally, I would not allow the seller any access to property after the deal is done. There are 24 hours in a day, I'm sure he's not working all of them.

Ohhh yeah, we know we have to go twice, the first time was yesterday, and the second on the 31st. (Probably the 1st, we are off work)

He works nights, and lives in malaga city. We are trying to think of a way that we can 'tag' anything they want to keep, or maybe put it in one bedroom or something so that they can have a few weeks to collect it.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:28 am

Hope you will be very happy in your new home, Spanish Lad.

We bought our original house in Spain from an elderly Spanish couple. They left some furniture (one piece, a nice old marble topped sideboard we kept for the 14 years we owned the house and as far as I know it's still there 5 years after we left!) but most of it was too old and worn to be of any use. There was a lot of bric a brac which was not to our taste (large china leopard, anyone?) which was left outside the house and disappeared very swiftly. The real fun was the storerooms, though, which were absolutely full of junk (no fewer than 19 old car stereos in one of them, and an old rifle which no longer worked). It took me 3 days just to get what had been used as a pigeon loft cleaned out.

When we sold the house we were moving into temporary furnished accommodation until we found a new property to buy, and left the complete contents behind (included in the price of the property). All we took was our personal belongings and the larger of two TVs, the estate agent took an inventory before completion which we signed.

We then bought an apartment which was left fully furnished, even had all the crockery and glassware in the kitchen and all the bric a brac and paintings in situ. Some of it was good quality but not to our taste, so we donated all the furniture to the Cudeca shop in Torre del Mar as it was easier and quicker for us to have two of their volunteers with a large van come and empty the place and take it away than trying to sell it bit by bit and dealing with annoying people who want to haggle, and we were anxious to crack on and get builders in to have the work we wanted done completed asap. The day after they had taken the dining room set away, they came back for another load and told us the sideboard had already been sold for €900 so I hope by the time all of it was sold they raised a decent sum for a good cause. The small stuff we gave to an acquaintance who was wanting to do a car boot sale to raise some cash, he did us a favour by carting it all away in one go. Rather than having the builders just rip out the old kitchen and chuck it in a skip, we asked one of our old neighbours if he knew anyone who would like the old units (solid wood and in good condition but dated) and someone who has properties he rents out jumped at the chance so they came and stripped those out the day before the builders were due to start.