Our buying experience in Andalucia

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Re: Our buying experience in Andalucia

Postby spanish_lad » Sat May 07, 2022 12:07 pm

So we are finally in the house, actually living there..

The people arranged to be there to empty the house, they made us loads of promises.. the day came.. and they never turned up. We ended up arguing, they said "do what you like with it, i hope the house burns down"....

:eek:

So we got a wiggle on.. and emptied the house into the "front garden". all the clothes and bed linen in bin bags, all the china..

We have left it there for a month, its been rained on and all sorts. they havent collected it, so yesterday we ordered a skip. its cost us €120 but most of it fits in.

Now the next problem is the neibours yapping dog.. I dont think it ever stops to breathe...
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat May 07, 2022 1:35 pm

I hope you have many happy years in your new house. As for the dog thats part of Spain. We had a neighbour who had a cockerel. 4 o’clock every morning it started.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat May 07, 2022 2:42 pm

I suppose that the lesson is really ..

make sure its specified in the contract.. empty before xx date.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat May 07, 2022 2:58 pm

Your post made me smile spanish_lad, it took me back to when we first bought, that didn't pass without issues that started straight after the sale but time moves on and it all becomes history. Yes, yapping dogs are part of what is Spain, we hear the neighbouring farmers dogs throughout the night while we try to sleep in our property but I've got used to it. :lol: I hope you have happy times in your new home.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun May 08, 2022 9:33 pm

One house we bought left loads of stuff. They came back after a year for some of it. Had gone of course.
Have a lovely life it will all be ok one day :wave:

BunnyAndBear
Tourist

Postby BunnyAndBear » Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 am

Any update please? Did you buy the house?

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed May 11, 2022 8:11 am

BunnyAndBear wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 am Any update please? Did you buy the house?
OP is now living in the house

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 18, 2022 7:32 pm

Bunny,

Yes, we are no living in the house. We have some .."teething issues" with loose tiles, painting, the rapid growing bamboo thats been left to run riot.. finding out how windy the place is... and the constant yapping from one of the 9 dogs thats locked in a cage next door. it drives the missus wild.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu May 19, 2022 12:32 pm

I would think about getting some wire cutters :wink: :idea:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:16 am

katy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:32 pm I would think about getting some wire cutters :wink: :idea:

oh dont worry Katy, all the tools are there waiting. Its an interesting idea, something needs to be done. I dont want to go the police route, but we have already spoken to them "unoficially" - no names or exact addresses etc. They said primarily it would be a noise issue, because its constant barking, then when that is investigated they would decide wether or not to call seprona.

I find their barking annoying, and i´ve always had animals. My gf is pulling her hair out. We sometimes laugh and joke about it, play music on the surround sound to drown it out etc.. but other times it really depresses her and she doesn´t want to be there.

Its not so much the fact that the 9 dogs bark, (they all do, sometimes) its one of the dogs, all the time. If its not barking, it must be asleep or have a sore throat :think:

I was thinking to send audio on the "alert cops" app and see if that does anything.. especially if i send it at 2200, 00,00, 02,00 when its still going on.

My gf actually invited the goat man round, gave him a bottle of portugese wine, sat down and had a chat... asked about the dogs etc.. and his response "es lo que hay...to lo sepas hantes que comprar." (it is what it is, and you knew before you bought) It really winds her up, he walks past "heyyy hows it going, still fighting for silence, huh ?"

Its strange, he seems like an educated guy, not the typical campo goat man - he has another job and comes there in the afternoons, and hes always in a shirt and trousers etc. But theres no reasoning with him.. the dogs will be barking their heads off at a cat or a person or a leaf :eh: we can be can be shouting and he´ll be up in the feild looking at us and saying nothing.

The neibour on the other side of the farm is apparently family, and the house opposite us is a holiday home... but surely it must disturb the other 20 or so neibours that are all around ? When the guy 2km away is hammering and banging, we hear every bang as if its outside the window.. the barking dogs must wind everyone up ?

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:34 pm

I smiled reading your post..sorry ...welcome to the campo! When we bought our place we inherited 10 dogs..didn't realise they were going to leave them..The daughter of a farm neighbour got some kind of animal rescue association to remove them all..Took months to catch them all..A few at a time..One day we turned up at the house, all dogs had gone...I had got used to them and i felt the loss... i knew the situation wasn't ideal because we were not there on a permanent basis, we bought food and the farmer next door fed them.I can never understand how the previous owners could just walk away from them without a second thought.
There are still dogs near us, across in other farm homes, they yap most of the night but i can switch off..

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:58 pm

Oh don't worry Pamela, while I grew up in alhaurin, although it was the town, it is still a 'campo' town, there were dogs all around, we actually had a goat farm 2 doors down from mum & dad's, where I lived for 15 years.

I think because she grew up in Antwerp, in Porto, and here on the coast, in apartments, it was a different life for her and she's not used to it.

Now we know why the house was cheap for this area :lol:

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:34 pm

Fully understand spanish_lad... When it's someone elses dogs it can get on your nerves,i hope you can get it resolved and enjoy your place...I have never regretted our place in the campo..best decison ever...It's bliss! Have a party, do what you want..Total freedom..You will all be ok..
Last edited by Pamela1 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:51 pm

That is the problem with campo. Even if there isn't a corral of dogs next to you when you buy, it can arrive over the following years. It's made us very careful about where we live and if possible we want to own the land around us and in front to stop animals being put there or building going up to block the view. One day when we may want to move it will be awful as we are so fussy now.

I find that the sound carries a lot in the campo and we are in an amphitheatre of hills, so someone sneezing a kilometre down the hill sounds like they are standing in the garden. There's constant building work going on as well, so always a cement mixer or angle grinder making noise somewhere, or strimmers which seem to be a favourite noise machine around here! I still think it's quieter than living in an urban area surrounded by apartments or houses though.

I hope you manage to do something about all those dogs SL!

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:51 pm

Hi S_L,
Have sent you a PM..............
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:18 pm

its crazy really, our dog hasnt barked more than 10 times this month, even tho the others are howling and barking next door all day long.