Closing deceased's Sabadell account

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gruff
Resident

Closing deceased's Sabadell account

Postby gruff » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:45 pm

As the account has now become overdrawn I feel I should have it closed but don't know how to do it.

Should just leave it alone?

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Closing deceased's Sabadell account

Postby Enrique » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:04 pm

Hi gruff,

Our experience on closing Sabadell accnt. From one of my earlier Posts..........

"Go on to their FaceBook page and ask....... We tried to close our Sabadell account for nine (9) months using the usual letters/email etc, went onto FB page on a Saturday and it was closed the following Monday........... :D

Following Beachcomber's Post..........transfer all monies ( sent letter requesting closure ) out, had 9 months interest accrued by the time they closed it......all wavered on final closure."

Whole Thread on it..................

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40880&p=414657&hil ... ll#p414657
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:25 pm

You will need death certificate. My friends Husband died and they had a joint account bank just froze account and could not access money for about 3 weeks. They would not even allow funeral costs to be paid.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:31 pm

Are you executor to the will? If so a visit to branch would be my advice.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:31 pm

katy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:25 pm You will need death certificate. My friends Husband died and they had a joint account bank just froze account and could not access money for about 3 weeks. They would not even allow funeral costs to be paid.
We have always kept sufficient cash available in case an account is locked. €3000 should sort a cremation, and of course if a partber dies the first thing you should do is go and withdraw enough to survive - you can cry later.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:35 pm

Be careful, as far as I know if the account is in the name of the deceased, it is automatically blocked. However, if it’s a joint account the other person can continue to use that one.
I have just asked my mother in law whose husband died a couple of years ago and that’s what she told me.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:11 am

Yes if its a joint account it shouldnt be frozen.Better just to ask your own bank what they do in that situation as you can bet they all have their own rules. Then do what's necessary

gruff
Resident

Postby gruff » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:25 pm

When I opened my own account at Sabadell I was told to keep on using the deceased's account to pay bills.