Mobile gas heater - pilot light blowing out

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Mobile gas heater - pilot light blowing out

Postby fyfin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:18 pm

We have a butano gas heater, a bloody expensive one, Calor Provence and we've had it about 7 years. It looks good and no problems with condensation or smell which seems to be an issue with some heaters.
Yesterday the pilot light started to flicker as if there was too much pressure or air coming through and eventually going out. I could relight it but it went out again after going for a little while. I looked at the hose and realised that it was a couple of years out of date so bought a new hose and regulator and fitted them. I though that had solved it as it was fine for a couple of hours and then the same thing happened again.

I then fitted another gas bottle just in case and to eliminate that and it made no difference. I had already hoovered any dust around the burners although I didn't think that could be the problem so I'm now at a loss.

I think I'm right in saying it can't be the thermocouple as the pilot light going out is not dependant on the thermocouple, and the main burners keep going for a very short time after the pilot light is out, I suppose because the temperature hasn't reduced enough.

Before I call an expert in I wondered if anyone has any ideas.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

fyfin
Resident

Re: Mobile gas heater - pilot light blowing out

Postby fyfin » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:26 pm

UPDATE - Just in case anyone else has a similar problem, I have actually solved it. So having tried everything I could think of, I decided despite my previous attempts it must be dirt or dust in the pipe for the pilot light.
My wife was not impressed with my idea of turning it upside down (it is bloody heavy) and giving it a few thumps. I was going to use a rubber hammer but gave it a couple of good kicks instead (hurting my toe in the process much to my wife's amusement). However, I guess I must have dislodged the dust/dirt somehow, because since last Thursday when I did it , the fire has been working perfectly.
When it is no longer needed this year we're going to cover it so that hopefully no dust can get into it before we need it again.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:20 pm

Well done

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:47 am

fyfin wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:26 pm UPDATE - Just in case anyone else has a similar problem, I have actually solved it. So having tried everything I could think of, I decided despite my previous attempts it must be dirt or dust in the pipe for the pilot light.
My wife was not impressed with my idea of turning it upside down (it is bloody heavy) and giving it a few thumps. I was going to use a rubber hammer but gave it a couple of good kicks instead (hurting my toe in the process much to my wife's amusement). However, I guess I must have dislodged the dust/dirt somehow, because since last Thursday when I did it , the fire has been working perfectly.
When it is no longer needed this year we're going to cover it so that hopefully no dust can get into it before we need it again.
hilarious