Does anyone living here full time rely on solar power?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Does anyone living here full time rely on solar power?

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:18 pm

We are looking at our options at the moment and we are thinking about a full solar installation.

It's subsidised by the junta, and would cost around 7k.

This would be a 5kw inverter, with 3600w of panels on the roof, and a 5kw lithium powerwall.

As far as I know, all the components would be from sunpower, apparently a market leader in the solar world.

Does anyone have a 'modern' solar installation, and live there full time ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Does anyone living here full time rely on solar power?

Postby qe2ex » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:30 pm

Also interested in this, but it seems I was too slow on the trigger a few weeks ago.

From what I've been told, the grant money has, at least for the time, ran out. Company I've been talking too indicated nobody seems to know if new grants will become available.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:45 pm

A friend in Granada has panels but it cost about 13K to install (I think he has about 5 panels from memory, but the high cost is partly due to a frame being needed to install them on the garage roof, his house not having a suitable roof). He has never mentioned any grant. He uses it in conjunction with the normal electricity system but said it's not worth trying to sell any back to them. He has used 'excess' power to heat his pool at the end of the season and he seems very pleased with it.

I've heard of people using the off peak electricity to charge up the batteries on dull days. I must say it all seems very complicated to me, although to be self sufficient in power and not have to rely on the dreaded Endesa who supply our lines and power (what there is of it), it would be nice.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:56 pm

3.6 kw is not very much. You would have to manage your power hungry appliances.

10 panels might be better.

We are waiting for a quote for a stand alone set up to power the pool pump and possibly have a heat pump to extend the season. The local solar shop suggested we get something to feed into the network excess units and get a small payment. Wicksey. Does your friend heat the pool with a heat pump?

I can see a framework on a roof costing a bit but a stand alone on the ground should be cheap enough.

I read somewhere you can get half off your IBI.

Wonder if gerryh has investigated solar!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:21 pm

olive wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:56 pm

Wonder if gerryh has investigated solar!
Not much as at my age, 78, it wouldn't be financially worth it.
At Spanish Lads age, it will probably be worth it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:38 pm

olive wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:56 pm
We are waiting for a quote for a stand alone set up to power the pool pump and possibly have a heat pump to extend the season. The local solar shop suggested we get something to feed into the network excess units and get a small payment. Wicksey. Does your friend heat the pool with a heat pump?
I think it is heat exchange system, taking heat from the air :?: ??

If I bought a house where connection to the grid was very expensive/difficult, I wouldn't hesitate to have a solar system. Although I am not quite as old as Gerry :lol: whether we would even remain in this house long enough for it to be worthwhile has to be considered as it's very much a long-term investment.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:42 am

At what point is the Junta supposed to come up with the readies? I bought an electric car and charger in January 2021 .There's still no sign of the MOVES II subsidy, without which I wouldn't have bothered.

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:54 pm

Superplonk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:42 am At what point is the Junta supposed to come up with the readies? I bought an electric car and charger in January 2021 .There's still no sign of the MOVES II subsidy, without which I wouldn't have bothered.
For solar I was told it normally took 2-3 months after approval.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:23 am

We live in the campo and have used solar power for the last 13 years. The initial system was 12 lead acid batteries and three panels on an adjustable metal frame on the shed roof. The frame lifted and lowered the panels at different times of the year for maximum sun. That system, all in and for everything, was €6,400. No grants or subsidies.

We ran all the house stuff including the computers but had a gas cooker and gas fridge and used the generator to run the washing machine. We used practically no electro domestico gadgets such as food processors, dish washers and all that stuff.

Five years ago we changed the system. We now have six panels on the south-facing house roof and a further three, adjustable ones, on the (other) shed roof. We have one lithium battery. That system was €7,000 — but the new technology is getting cheaper. This new system runs an electric fridge, kettle, toaster, hoover, hairdryer — in fact, most things, but still no dishwasher because of the water consumption and because I can wash dishes myself. That system came from Germany via a company in the Basque Region but was installed by Tacho Energia from Guadalcanal, Andalucia. Sergio, the man who is Tacho was brilliant and very knowledgeable. Highly recommended.

http://www.guadalcanal.es/es/municipio/ ... o-Energia/

Can a couple run a sensible house on just solar power? Mostly, yes. On the days when it is very overcast the generator automatically kicks in to top up the battery. It's all set up so we do not have to make the decision of 'how overcast is overcast'.

Is it cost-effective? For us it would have been cheaper, overall, to have paid €10,000 and dug up the countryside to have an electricity line run to the house from the village. However, we would then have the bills which would not have made that the better option in the end. All-in-all we are financially better off having done what we did. Our only snag was when the technology changed and lead acid batteries became rubbish and the lithium ones came out (not green, I know, but ...). We made the decision to upgrade but our old panels and batteries are still working well on a friend's finca so they still have 'life' in them.

Hope that helps a bit.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:32 am

That's very interesting Lavanda. Particularly that you can run things like a kettle, we still have one we put on the gas stove! Our problem is that the voltage fluctuates a lot, although it has been a little better lately. The summer is often worse when the holiday homes in the valley all have their aircon on. The voltage did drop to 145v one day and it did used to regularly fluctuate between 160 and 200v. I certainly think that buying an off-grid house would be a possibility in the future now that the technology has improved so much.

BTW, our dishwasher is used about every 3 days (it's a 12 place setting and it takes us that long to fill it). It uses minimal water, much less than washing up by hand 3 times a day. Large items like the wok are handwashed but otherwise everything is precision packed by my OH. Even if he is away, I still use it.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:24 pm

Interesting about the dishwasher, Wicksey. I wash up every other day or when the cutlery runs out. We are very water-wise.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:50 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:24 pm Interesting about the dishwasher, Wicksey. I wash up every other day or when the cutlery runs out. We are very water-wise.
Yes we are too, as I think we've discussed on the watering the garden thread. Everything gets a dunk in a washing up bowl then goes into the dishwasher. The water in the bowl is put onto the garden at the end of the day. When we refitted our kitchen we stripped everything out until all we had was the dishwasher connected to the water, but no drain. So we ran it into a bucket and the short 35 min wash filled just over a bucket with the water from the entire program. We do have sufficient cutlery and plates etc to last us three days though :wink: Part of the problem for us as well is that it takes an age for the hot water to come through the tap. That is probably another basin load that would get put onto the garden each time we would want to wash by hand, so for us, the dishwasher is better all round (plus we hate washing up and a dishwasher is a priority for us :lol: ) I think solar systems now are much more sophisticated and seem to be able to cope with modern domestic appliances. Living in a (usually) sunny country, you would think that more use should be made of them.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:12 pm

Agreed and modern appliances are less power-hungry than they were and much more efficient.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat May 07, 2022 11:40 am

So in the end we stumped for a different system, from a company called "rebacas S.L" in valencia. - https://www.rebacas.com/kit-solar-con-b ... 48kwh.html

We bought one of their cheapest systems, at €3500 delivered. (its now 4k delivered.)

We have a 5000w inverter (with a fancy round touchscreen on the front of it), 2 pylontech lithium us2000c batteries (2.4kw each) and 4x 455w solar panels. Its a 48v set up, and I installed it myself in a couple of hours. No brackets included.

We have the fridge (samsung a++ model), samsung microwave, water pump, tv, tv box, stereo / surround sound, 2 fish tanks (filters & heaters etc), washing machine (10kg a+ model), coffee machine, 20 or 30 lights all over the house (mostly LED), power tools, phone chargers, computer, laptop... the batteries drop to 60% over night and then charge to 100% before lunch.

We tend to use the washing machine and powertools when we get in from work at 16:00, when the suns at its highest - and the power comes straight from the panels. Obviously the coffee machine is used in the AM before the suns come out.

Absolutly fantastic. We got an eco loan from the bank to pay for it. its costing us €80 a month for our electric.

Even tho its more expensive than the lead acid, we went for the pylontech because its "new" technology, and you can add to it (up to 8 batteries) literally by plonking it on top of the others and clicking 3 wires into place. Its very "plug & play". With the 1800w / 198v of panels we have seen upto 185v coming in, and its only 25-30 degrees at the moment.

Will we upgrade? probably - we are looking to get at least one more battery over the summer to help out during rainy days etc next year. We went for the cheapest system because the house had nothing and we wanted to move in..

If anyone tells you that its no possible or that it will cost 20 thousand.. they are pulling your leg and financing their holiday from your pocket.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat May 07, 2022 12:38 pm

That sounds really good. Technology, especially in renewable energy, is developing at a huge rate — only kept down by vested interests, i.e. power companies and government officials with links to them.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Tue May 10, 2022 11:12 am

very interesting! and sounds a reasonable cost. keen to know how you get on over the coming months

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Tue May 10, 2022 7:17 pm

Obviously I've just 'thrown it together' so it's not the prettiest installation in the world, but it works.

If you are not afraid of electricity or drilling walls or getting up ladders it's definitely the way forward.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:40 pm

Flashman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:12 am very interesting! and sounds a reasonable cost. keen to know how you get on over the coming months

well its now july.. and everything is pretty much perfect.

We run whatever we want, whenever we want. we wake up in the morning, make toast, use the coffee machine, we have the lights on, the fish tanks bubbles and heaters are are running 24/7, the filters during the day. The fridge is on 24/7, we use the microwave and washing machine at 16,00-17,00 when we get in from work.

Next year / over the winter i might make up some sort of frame for the panels so that they are at more of a 30 degree angle to the sun - at the moment they are flat on top of the car port - which is not ideal at all. We are constantly looking out for another battery or two, but the price has gone up from 700 to a thousand each.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:07 pm

spanish_lad wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:40 pm
Flashman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:12 am very interesting! and sounds a reasonable cost. keen to know how you get on over the coming months

well its now july.. and everything is pretty much perfect.

We run whatever we want, whenever we want. we wake up in the morning, make toast, use the coffee machine, we have the lights on, the fish tanks bubbles and heaters are are running 24/7, the filters during the day. The fridge is on 24/7, we use the microwave and washing machine at 16,00-17,00 when we get in from work.

Next year / over the winter i might make up some sort of frame for the panels so that they are at more of a 30 degree angle to the sun - at the moment they are flat on top of the car port - which is not ideal at all. We are constantly looking out for another battery or two, but the price has gone up from 700 to a thousand each.
that's really good to hear and well done for taking the plunge and going for it. Thanks for the update. I may PM you in mid-winter to see how it's holding up. All in all sounds like a very reasonable option