Electricity Prices - Sky High Prices

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
john the baptist
Resident

Electricity Prices - Sky High Prices

Postby john the baptist » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:55 am

Hi Everyone,
What is going on with the Electricity Prices and Electricity companies. I was with a company for near 15 years who were taken over by ironically Repsol which is the Gas company and my first Repsol bill is now almost double than what i used to pay previously.

I am aware that electricity prices have increased but to double up especially because i live on my own now, its literally one person in the house me!!!!

Can I have other peoples thoughts and if they have any experience with Repsol or are aware of any better companies to go with or any offers being promoted by the rival electricity companies.

Also does anyone know who actually sets the times of the 3 levels of pricing for electricity, is it the government and is national or is it individual companies?? I was horrified to hear that Respsol tariff hours are completely different for what I thought and at the moment y cheap rate starts at 1am in the morning to 7am at which time I'm asleep. The most expensive rate is 13.00 to 23.00 which essentially most of the day and the time that i want to use the computer or watch TV, cook food and drink tea.

I've also been told that I the prices are going to increase again as well and also in noticed in my bill that not only are we paying 10% IVA there is an additional tax which i assume is a renewable energy tax for future investment to use renewable energy. Does anyone have any comments or information and how i can stop paying just under €100 a month for a single person when I have no income and I'm surviving of the minimum Spanish unemployment which ends in September.

Many thanks in advance for any advice and information to try to get a better deal with another company.

John B

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Electricity Prices - Sky High Prices

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:01 am

The prices are crazy but the same is happening in the UK. We are getting hit twice as we are running two homes. I got caught out with a 96 euro bill for 8 days in the winter as I always leave the heater on 24/7. I think the energy companies can charge more or less what they want at different times of the day. We are on high medium and low rate. Cheap is midnight until 8am medium until 10 am and the it goes high all day.

Capitan-Roberto
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Capitan-Roberto » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:07 am

It’s not surprising electricity prices are rising.
Spain generates about 30% of its electricity using natural gas, and globally gas prices are about double historical averages. In some confined markets even more than double - don’t know what deals Spanish generation companies have with Algerian producers - most of Spain’s gas comes from Algeria.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:29 am

I switched from Endesa to Energy Nordic and it made a difference but prices are rising anyway. We have a 3 bed villa with a pool and had bills of around €220 - 240 per month and then I realised I had left the pool pump on for longer than needed and at 1.2kWh it added up. After that I had a bill for €145 but now crept up to just under €200 for last bill. We've decided to invest in solar panels (not the sort with batteries) and allegedly payback period will be 5 years or less.
What I find weird is that when someone posted on a local Facebook forum about the high prices we had a vast variation some of which I found unbelievable. One person who also said they have a 3 bed villa with pool and say they use aircon for heating etc and say they have average bills of €77 per month!!! Then someone with a 2 bed apartment said he had a bill for nearly €400. I find it hard to understand why there should be such variations. My friend who has a 3 bed townhouse says his bills have never changed always around €60 per month and he's with Iberdrola who told him not to worry about the time of day rates as his wouldn't change.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:21 pm

We pay our electricity bills as presented each month by our landlord.
He uses "Fenie Energia"
Our total year's bill for 2021 was €180 LESS than 2020!
The first quarter bills this year are €12 higher than last year but but still lower than 2020.
Don't really understand all the stuff about sky-high electricity prices.Our Landlord must be doing something right. :wink:

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:46 pm

jonbar.1 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:21 pm We pay our electricity bills as presented each month by our landlord.
He uses "Fenie Energia"
The first quarter bills this year are €12 higher than last year but but still lower than 2020.
Don't really understand all the stuff about sky-high electricity prices.Our Landlord must be doing something right. :wink:
Hi I doubt what you are saying but how on gods earth do you pay €180 a YEAR, that is a monthly of 8 week bill for normal people. I think your landlond has connected your house to the street electric supply and you are getting it free. Do you have a physical digital electricity meter at your home, they will all be wireless soon transmitting from your wife, so you actually see anythign physically turning or and numbers changing??? the rental of the 3 layers of electric is ridiculous then you have to pay the actual consumption then you have to have to pay the green tax then you the iva of 10%.

Do you live in Spain all the time or just a holiday home. Regardless simply being connected to the grid costs more than €180 per year maybe he factors your bill with his or includes it into the rent. water bills are about 100 euros every 2 months and will rise like everything. I just had my front door key at mr mint in Carrefour a door key which previous was €1.80 is now €4.20. I need a deal because repsol are taking me to the cleaners, and its just me.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:09 pm

I had been on a very reasonably priced tariff with Naturgy for the past 11 months. I received a bill from them a couple of weeks ago, covering the 3 months from January - March, which was for €161.95 (two of us living in an all electric property so using electricity for all cooking, heating and water heating). That was paying a fixed rate no matter what the time of day.

However, there was a note in small print on the bill saying that the contract would be renewed at the beginning of June, and the new price per kwh was very high so I looked around for an alternative. Of course there is nothing around comparable to the tariff I had been on, as prices have risen so much over the past few months, but I expected that so it was a question of finding the least worst option. I have chosen the Iberdrola 8 hour plan where I choose which 8 hours in the day I want to have cheaper rate electricity (instead of having cheap rate during the night which I don't think would benefit me). The cheaper rate is still nearly €0.20 though, and the rate for the rest of the day is €0.30 although there should really only be the fridge-freezer running on that plus a ceiling fan at night when the weather gets hot. I have just done the switch of suppliers and it was very easy, all done online.

Your water bills seem very high, I pay around €30 every two months (the bills have been the same for years) and that is for two of us consuming water.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:14 pm

Hi j de B,

Have a play with this................

https://comparador.cnmc.gob.es/comparad ... 0000000000

Do you cook by Electric, water heaters.........etc... Find out where /time you use the Electic......and adjust "life style" to use the less expensive rates.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:19 pm

John the Baptist.
I did NOT say I paid €180 last year.I said I paid €180 LESS than in 2020.
As you couldn't be bothered to read my posting properly,I didn't bother to read beyond the first patronising paragraph in your reply.
Last edited by jonbar.1 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:20 pm

john the baptist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:46 pm
jonbar.1 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:21 pm
Hi I doubt what you are saying but how on gods earth do you pay €180 a YEAR,
He didn't say his annual bill was €180. He said it was €180 LESS.

Sid

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:44 pm

Thankyou Sid.
I think my succinct reply to J.T.B. was posted just before your response.
Though I appreciate your confirmation :thumbup:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:00 pm

Our bills have doubled since last year and we are using less electricity. Some people I know are on the Endesa Happytempo tariff and get two hours free every day so make the most of that, which keeps their bills lower. I tried to a contact Fenie Energia but they just ignored me so I gave up with them, if that's what their customer service is like. We're just paying the bills as they are and hope they'll come down a bit in time. We cook on gas so that's still relatively cheap as a tank lasts us three months, but they are about 22€ now.

jonbar.1
Resident

Postby jonbar.1 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:08 pm

Wicksey.
Wish I could help you with Fenie Energia but our landlord does all the communicating.
One of the advantages of renting I suppose.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with them.
JB

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:57 pm

My electricity bill was 24 Euros for the month of March and my water bill was 11 euros !! But I live in Finland in the summer, ie March to September, I have no idea what my bills will be when I go back to Gran Canaria !! My son's electricity bill has increased by around 40% in the last month, he lives in Stockport ! I know this is nothing to do with Spain but I posted it just as a comparison !

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:30 am

El Cid wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:20 pm
john the baptist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:46 pm
jonbar.1 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:21 pm
Hi I doubt what you are saying but how on gods earth do you pay €180 a YEAR,
He didn't say his annual bill was €180. He said it was €180 LESS.

Sid
Apologies Cid I read the post on my phone and the eyes are nearly half a century. Not as Sharpe as in the 1980's.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:57 am

Hi fyfin,

Your Post 22 April 2022.........
"We've decided to invest in solar panels (not the sort with batteries) and allegedly payback period will be 5 years or less."

So how are the Bills now

We are looking into Solar in Spain.........

As a general question for Members..........

Has anyone managed to get their Supplier to pay for Units Exported to the Grid from their Solar..............chatting to a Manager of a Solar company who has installed his own product ..........he is still waiting (18 months ) for any response from his Electric supplier.......... :thumbdown:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:06 am

I do have to say that my electricity bill has hardly changed. I am with Endesa and I have a contract whereby I get two free hours a day and so I do all my cooking, put on the dishwasher, washing machine, hotwater. My last bill was for 38 euros but have been using the air con. I am so glad I stayed with them. The bill before that was only 34 euros. Last summer it went up to 68 euros with the air con on day and night. :thumbup:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:03 am

Enrique wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:57 am Hi fyfin,

Your Post 22 April 2022.........
"We've decided to invest in solar panels (not the sort with batteries) and allegedly payback period will be 5 years or less."

So how are the Bills now

We are looking into Solar in Spain.........

As a general question for Members..........

Has anyone managed to get their Supplier to pay for Units Exported to the Grid from their Solar..............chatting to a Manager of a Solar company who has installed his own product ..........he is still waiting (18 months ) for any response from his Electric supplier.......... :thumbdown:
solar panels on your house means all your day time consumption is free (if you have enough panels - we have 4, which is 1800w.) insall 8 panels, and you can do everything all day long for free. ours is charging between 07.00 and 22.00 !
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.