Closing my Spanish bank account from UK

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Closing my Spanish bank account from UK

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:19 am

I’ve just spent a couple of days trying to close my Unicaja account from the UK, and now that I’ve succeeded I thought I would share how it went.

In January, I emailed the Buzon I thought would relate to my account – no response.
Tried again 3 days ago – no reponse
So I tried the other branch buzon, but that bounced

Went on Facebook & messaged Unicaja. This brought a fairly swift response, but it wasn’t overly helpful, as they kept saying I had to go to the branch in person, and the account must be at zero balance. I pointed out that I wouldn’t be in Spain for the foreseeable future & in the end they suggested I contact the branch direct.

So I went online to the bank website & found a form to contact them. It would only accept 200 characters, so half my message wasn’t sent.
However, the part that was sent had my account number & the important fact that I wanted to close the account but lived in UK.

I sent this yesterday, & to my surprise, this morning I had an email from my branch, telling me the account was already closed, and attaching a form (which seemed to indicate I should sign & return, but I wasn’t asked to do so) showing closure. The account certainly wasn’t closed yesterday because I logged in to check the balance !

So, the route that worked for me was to use the contact form on the website, even though the email address that the response today came from, was the email address that had previously bounced !

Hope this is of use to someone :thumbup:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)