Barclays Bank

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Trooperman
Resident

Barclays Bank

Postby Trooperman » Sun May 22, 2022 4:18 pm

I've just received an SMS message that Barclays Bank intends to close my UK bank account solely on the grounds that I live outside the UK and in an EEA country.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I checked to see if it was a scam and the information is replicated on their web site.

I retained the account so that some UK company pension payments could be received in the UK as I have/had this, perhaps, out-dated notion that a UK account was somehow "safer".

However, despite being told directly some couple of years back that there was no intention of them doing this to ex-pats, it now seems the policy has changed.

My opinion of Barclays?..............unprintable! :thumbdown:
nil illegitimum carborundum

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Barclays Bank

Postby elusive » Sun May 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Theres been several reports of this on brexpats f book grouo. They did it a few years back mainly relating to credit cards rather than accounts. Pretty much impossible to open a standard uk account as a non res. Maybe look at getting the pension sent direct to spain but that might incur a fee from the pension provider or other people are using a transfer account like wise (formally transferwise)

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun May 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Yes, I have also received the same message.
Got until 22nd Nov to do something about it.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun May 22, 2022 6:11 pm

As I alluded to, I did fear some years ago that this might happen so I took some hedging action!
One of those alternatives is mentioned by Elusive (above in a reply). Does anyone have any direct experience of Transferwise (now called Wise) as to its efectivemenss in replacing a UK bank for payments in and paymnenst online?
nil illegitimum carborundum

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun May 22, 2022 6:13 pm

Try Nationwide.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun May 22, 2022 6:26 pm

Trooperman wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:11 pm As I alluded to, I did fear some years ago that this might happen so I took some hedging action!
One of those alternatives is mentioned by Elusive (above in a reply). Does anyone have any direct experience of Transferwise (now called Wise) as to its efectivemenss in replacing a UK bank for payments in and paymnenst online?
Yes. All direct debits (including ibi) paid from wise. Movistar was the only problem as they wanted to surcharge for the privilege

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun May 22, 2022 6:41 pm

Have you got any family in the uk as some people are being able to keep them open if they just use a uk address and the bank are ok with it..