Use of wells

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Use of wells

Postby Ricasso » Sat May 28, 2022 8:12 am

Does anyone have any information about the use of wells?
It's not so much about the legalities at this stage (I have contacted my lawyer for that), but I wonder if it's all worth pursuing.

I have discovered a well on our land and investigated it and found that it's actually 3.5m deep. My questions are:

1. Is this likely to ever be a usable source of water?

2. Is it possible that the well could replenish it's capacity quick enough - water pumped out vs water filling up?

I don't want to go down the legal path if the well is unlikely to be a decent, useable source of water... if you know what I mean.
If the well was 100m deep, maybe I would be satisfied as I always thought that wells have to be really deep but although the well is full, it's only 3.5m deep. No idea how water enters it!

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance..
Attachments
Well.jpg
Ricasso,
Axarquía

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Use of wells

Postby Enrique » Sat May 28, 2022 9:55 am

Hi Ricasso,

1) only by using it will you know.......... olive trees have a optimum time to water ask the locals when this is in your area.

2) see 1) above

Going on our two wells ............ not used them for the last 10 years due to lack of winter rains, the last good year was winter 2009/10 when the lower one overflowed.

The Legal bit.............see if they are useable before getting a Lawyer involved.

Make sure it is safely capped .
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat May 28, 2022 9:58 am

bearing in mind that we who live in the Axarquia (as you do) are facing a summer of uncertain water supply, I would cherish/nurture that well of yours in any way possible!

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sat May 28, 2022 6:03 pm

Thanks. As to whether the well can provide a good, pretty constant supply of water is what I need to ascertain before I go down the legal process. I just wondered if a 3.5m deep well suggests that it doesn't have a good supply or is the depth not a key factor?

Do you think that the only way to see if it replenishes is to maybe hire a pump and pump it out and see what happens?

It has a stone/concrete adit with a chained steel door, so safe.
Attachments
well adit.jpg
Ricasso,
Axarquía

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat May 28, 2022 6:08 pm

Hi Ricasso,

"Do you think that the only way to see if it replenishes is to maybe hire a pump and pump it out and see what happens?"..........yes, you may get lucky and find it fills to the current level . What have you got to water......... :?:

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sat May 28, 2022 6:15 pm

9000 sqm! Loads to land. Maybe I'll hire a pump and take it from there.

Many thanks Enrique..
Ricasso,
Axarquía

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat May 28, 2022 7:27 pm

Submersible pumps are quite cheap. 30/40 euros. Lets see how it performs before going to Hidrografia.

If you do a search on wells, I wrote a bit on the legal side some years ago. DIY section from memory.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat May 28, 2022 8:19 pm

Hi,

olive's Posts...............there are loads..........here are some.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32488&p=312813&hil ... al#p312813

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=39138&p=389206&hil ... al#p389206

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10473&p=68266&hili ... lls#p68266

Going back a few years.............so costs and legal requirements will have changed.........

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat May 28, 2022 10:02 pm

9000sqm ... another thing to bear in mind might be sustainability!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 29, 2022 10:12 am

gavilan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:02 pm 9000sqm ... another thing to bear in mind might be sustainability!
Does it all need irrigating? We only have 2600 but only irrigate a couple of small terraced areas that have trees on, plus the garden around the house. Around here and up to Competa it is mainly 'dry' olives except where people have scarified it and planted mangoes on an industrial level for an income (which is ever-increasing despite the lack of water).

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Sun May 29, 2022 10:39 am

No. Most of it doesn't need irrigating but obviously, if we have a water supply of our own, that can only be a good thing with spiraling costs. We're very careful with water.
Ricasso,
Axarquía

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun May 29, 2022 11:47 am

It would be useful for you to have your own supply, I agree. I wish we did! I would just buy a cheap submersible pump and see what happens when you pump it out and whether it refills quickly or not. We have neighbours down in the river valley with a similar well that provides their only water supply and it isn't very deep, you can see the water sitting in the bottom easily. I don't think it has run dry despite the drought.

Ricasso
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ricasso » Mon May 30, 2022 6:00 am

Thanks Wicksey, thats encouraging! To pump it out and see what happens is going to be the only way to decide if it's worth pursuing.
Ricasso,
Axarquía