Electricity supply

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Re: Electricity supply

Postby fyfin » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:04 pm

That's the weird thing , we can see consumption, I can take readings so I just can't understand why they won't send the readings to Energy Nordic unless it's simply to inconvenience them so we switch back to Endesa.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:00 pm

I have just received my electric bill after being in Spain for a month and i wasn't sure what to expect, it was around 100 euros last year and we stayed for almost the same length of time this year.The bill was 139 euros. I knew it was bound to be higher but it could have been higher still had all the bedrooms been in use which this year they were not. There was just the 2 of us and the dishwasher was never switched on, while last year it was used every day and the washing machine was on most days unlike this year. We did run the aircon every single night in the bedroom, and it stayed on all night, it was very hot and stuffy in the house this year..The pool pump ran for around 2 hrs each day as it did last year so no difference there..All in all 139 euros won't break the bank but i know it could have been much more, might need to start saving up for next summer though because the house will be full. :lol:
Dreading this winter in the Uk, the estimated forecasts of what the price cap will be isn't making any one smile...In my area there isn't any gas so many people have an oil boiler and oil has hit almost £1 a Ltr...I've estimated that it could average out about £450 per month just for oil and electric and that's just to start with, it will be more as the months roll by as further price increases are imposed..Now if i was in Spain i'd get the log burner going. :lol:
It's going to be tough for many families and i honestly don't know how many will manage the bills, i envisage a whole lot of debt and despair for all kinds of people especially the low paid and also those who will not have the means to pay the extra charges. Just awful.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Finally got a bill from Energy Nordic for a full month, the month of July. Shocked that it was only €37, I expected a low bill as we have the solar panels installed but the bill before was for 3 weeks and it was €62.
However, on checking it I think they have possibly made a mistake although the RDL is shown separately so maybe not. It's just that they've increased the rate for the surplus energy and since some companies are quoting €0.06 per kWh (inc Endesa) and Energy Nordic are paying me €0.26 per kWh on p2 and slightly less on the other 2, then I am slightly surprised.
Anyway, if it's right then I'm glad we went for the solar panels.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

NeilS
Tourist

Postby NeilS » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:22 pm

Is the Spanish government doing anything to cap energy prices, like the UK and France? In France they've also limited electricity wholesale rises to 4%. I'm considering spending more time in Spain this winter to minimise exposure to the crazy UK energy rises, but no point if Spain is just as bad (or worse)! I'm no expert on electricity tariffs, so a "dummies" answer appreciated!!

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:36 pm

NeilS wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:22 pm Is the Spanish government doing anything to cap energy prices, like the UK and France? In France they've also limited electricity wholesale rises to 4%. I'm considering spending more time in Spain this winter to minimise exposure to the crazy UK energy rises, but no point if Spain is just as bad (or worse)! I'm no expert on electricity tariffs, so a "dummies" answer appreciated!!
See this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41374

The Spanish Government initially reduced IVA (VAT) on energy bills from 21% to 10% and have since reduced it further to 5%, plus reduced the tax on electricity consumption from 5.11% to 0.5%, but this new "tope del gas" charge which everyone who has either changed supplier or renewed (or had their contract auto-renewed) since 26 April 2022 is adding substantially to people's bills.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:29 pm

Hi,
Have any Members who are CHC Energia customers actually contacted this company. recently......... if so I would like the contact details.

Thanks
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:22 pm

Hi All,
Free at Last mentioned the new "tope del gas" charge. I am horrified at our latest electricity bill. It was 340 euros. Previous two months were 95 and 209! Also, we had a contract until the end of Oct but the tariff seems to have gone up regardless. I have to say I'm not too familiar with how all this works in Spain so I don't know if the tope del gas is a one off charge or not. Can anyone help with this?

Also, we are with Fenia Energia and think we should perhaps change. Fenia Energia was arranged for us when we first arrived about three years ago. Any suggestions as to which company is thought to have better rates generally speaking?

Would very much appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:12 pm

No, the tope del gas is not a one off charge. It is in force until May 2023 (unless the Government decides to extend it beyond that date, which is not outside the realms of possibility). I cannot tell you how much it amounts to, because it varies from month to month according to an official formula based on the wholesale price of gas, and it is an amount per kwh of electricity used, so the more you use the more you will pay in tope del gas. Last month I was charged just over €0.1750 per wkh for the tope del gas by Iberdrola, and the amount I pay per kwh for electricity from them is €0.1585 so the tope del gas charge came to more than the amount I had paid in electricity.

For the previous month, the tope del gas charge was under €0.13 per kwh so it increased quite a bit and if the wholesale price of gas goes higher in the winter months (because of action taken by Putin, for example) it could go much higher still.

If you change company or change to a different tariff with the same company now (or if your contract with your existing supplier auto-renews) you would still have to pay the tope del gas charge so it is impossible to avoid. Some companies (Iberdrola, my supplier, amongst them) are showing the tope del gas as a separate charge on bills but I have read that others are lumping it in with the termino de energia cost (ie the cost of electricity consumed) which I think makes it impossible for customers to see what they are being charged. I don't know which approach Fenie Energia is taking.
Last edited by Free at Last on Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:39 pm

LifeofBrian wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:22 pm

Also, we are with Fenia Energia and think we should perhaps change. Fenia Energia was arranged for us when we first arrived about three years ago. Any suggestions as to which company is thought to have better rates generally speaking?

Thank you.
There is a price comparison site here

https://comparador.cnmc.gob.es/

Sid

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:00 pm

Thank you Free At Last and El Cid. The cnmc chart is all in Spanish so I couldn't really make sense of it! I know, have to learn Spanish more quickly. Also, I read that Spanish electricity is one of the most expensive in Europe. I wonder if anyone has produced a spreadsheet to show the cost of living in Spain! I keep hearing that, yes, the cost of going out for a drink is cheaper but that aside...

Maybe I should get down to it and produce one.

Anyway, as usual, I am very grateful to you for your replies. It does help so thank you.

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:09 pm

Just wondered if anyone has a telephone number for Endesa with an English speaking agent. Trying hard to get in touch with them but getting nowhere really.

Appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:08 am

We made an appointment and went to an office in Nerja
https://www.endesa.com/en/blogs/endesa- ... ppointment

Perhaps you could make an appointment and take someone with you to help with the translation? I've had mixed results when phoning. I used to ask to speak to someone in English and whilst it worked sometimes, other times they just say no it's not possible. I'm OK face to face in Spanish when I've prepared and my OH was there too, so between us we were OK. I did also write down a report of all the problems in Spanish and handed that over to the girl in the office which she did seem to understand. I also had videos of the problems that I wanted them to see, so better face to face.
Last edited by Wicksey on Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:09 am

LifeofBrian wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:22 pm Hi All,
Free at Last mentioned the new "tope del gas" charge. I am horrified at our latest electricity bill. It was 340 euros. Previous two months were 95 and 209! Also, we had a contract until the end of Oct but the tariff seems to have gone up regardless. I have to say I'm not too familiar with how all this works in Spain so I don't know if the tope del gas is a one off charge or not. Can anyone help with this?

Thank you.
Get in touch with sicompare.com they have found good deals for us in the past. They will ask for your most recent bill and see if they can find a better deal for you.
Regards

Bob

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:11 pm

Wicksey and casita-bonita...thank you so much. It did occur to me to make an appointment. I will try both suggestions. Very much appreciate the help from both of you.

This Forum is definitely a good place when help is required.

Kind regards.

LifeofBrian

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:43 pm

LifeofBrian wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:11 pm Wicksey and casita-bonita...thank you so much. It did occur to me to make an appointment. I will try both suggestions. Very much appreciate the help from both of you.

This Forum is definitely a good place when help is required.

Kind regards.

LifeofBrian
If you do try sicompare let us know how you get on. They knocked 40+euros off my last bill.. Paid for the Indian we had the night before the bill arrived :-)
Regards

Bob

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:53 pm

casita-bonita...brilliant. yes, I will let you know. It will be fish and chips for me!!

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:41 pm

Just to let you know, casita-bonita, that I have been trying to contact sicompare for two or three days to no avail. I will keep trying for a bit so fingers crossed!

Take care.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:53 pm

LifeofBrian wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:41 pm Just to let you know, casita-bonita, that I have been trying to contact sicompare for two or three days to no avail. I will keep trying for a bit so fingers crossed!

Take care.
Odd as James normally calls back pretty quickly... Below are the details in his mail signature.

James

Energy Assessor
910 606 123
[email protected]
www.sicompare.com
Regards

Bob

LifeofBrian
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby LifeofBrian » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:58 pm

Hi casita-bonita. I sent them an email and Rebecca has responded. So, we are in touch. Looks quite promising. We are checking one or two options ourselves (Endesa One Luz for example) and may well use sicompare when it comes down to it.

I shall let you now.

Take care.

LifeofBrian

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:13 pm

Hi Brian

They did good for us recently. They had put us on Gana some months ago,. More recently Gana switched us to a new, cheaper tariff. However they didn't specify how much the gas charge would add to the bill. When our first full month of new tariff bill came in it was 140e and our actual consumption had come down. This compared to 114 the previous month when it was mixed old and new tariff. Gave James a call and they reckoned that they could get us back on the old tariff. Just received latest bill, 94euros....still rather higher than in the good not so old days, but 46e paid for the Indian we had the night before :-)
Regards

Bob