Is it worth swapping UK to Irish residency

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
fyfin
Resident

Is it worth swapping UK to Irish residency

Postby fyfin » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:55 pm

My wife and I were both born in Northern Ireland and hold both passports. We first registered 12 years ago using our UK nationality but we still hold the little green card and I'm sure at some point we'll have to get a TIE if we continue as British nationality.

I'm trying to figure out the advantage of doing this. It doesn't affect travel as we use our Irish passports anyway so what am I missing? If we change nationality does all the paperwork have to change e.g. tarjeta sanitaria and maybe we would need to inform banks as well.

Just not sure. Has anyone actually done it?
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

scotty
Resident

Re: Is it worth swapping UK to Irish residency

Postby scotty » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:04 pm

Born in NI ? Well in case you've missed the news the Shinners intend to hold a United Ireland Referendum when they become the Government in Dublin soon. You'll be Irish then anyway :D :D :D :D

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:24 pm

Nothing changes as it shows your existing NIE and so we haven't needed to change anything at all. For us, we like to have a photo ID card so applied for ours as soon as they became available in 2020. We've used it travelling internally rather than a passport, and also when travelling to and from the UK. I know we could still have shown the green card but it all seems a lot easier to show the TIE and passport. In fact, at border control they have just waved me through without looking at my passport as soon as they have seen the TIE in my hand. Personally I prefer it to the old green card (I had an original photo ID card when we first came here but that was changed to the little bit of green paper which we never liked, and it became scruffy and illegible by the end). I have read that people should change, although originally us Brits were told we didn't have to.

Unless Northern Ireland breaks away from the rest of the UK, I cannot really see any difference between you having UK details registered as opposed to your NI passport information.
Last edited by Wicksey on Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:25 pm

Other than giving you freedom of movement which you already have via your irish passport imo i dont think there's much advantage to changing over if you are covered under the withdrawl treaty which you are .

I think one of the posters did it on here a while back. You would have to fill in paperwork etc and depending on your age would you still be covered for healthcare under the Irish version of the S1 or because you never worked there you would lose it??? Tbh knowing what red tape is like maybe let sleeping dogs lie?

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:35 pm

scotty wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:04 pm Born in NI ? Well in case you've missed the news the Shinners intend to hold a United Ireland Referendum when they become the Government in Dublin soon. You'll be Irish then anyway :D :D :D :D
LOL I am Irish and I am also British. I just decide when I am whichever one suits.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:48 pm

Yes, by some of the comments it's like I thought. There's not much point unless you don't want to have to get a Tie I suppose. I don't think it would affect the S1 or tarjeta sanitaria as you are still British as far as the UK is concerned. Anyway I keep going round in circles so I think I'll just leave as is.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:31 am

scotty wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:04 pm Born in NI ? Well in case you've missed the news the Shinners intend to hold a United Ireland Referendum when they become the Government in Dublin soon. You'll be Irish then anyway :D :D :D :D

It looks like the only politician who wants a United Ireland is Boris. I will miss him.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:12 pm

"I will miss him" - you obviously ned to improve your aim ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:28 pm

Miss him! He's the very person who has caused this rot!

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:03 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:28 pm Miss him! He's the very person who has caused this rot!
The people voted for Brexit. he got it done.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:50 pm

Bring back the "big dog ".....

anyroads

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:06 pm

Cádiz wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:03 pm
Pamela1 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:28 pm Miss him! He's the very person who has caused this rot!
The people voted for Brexit. he got it done.
Except for the back stop and Gib and implementing other things. But that's another thread!