weather

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: weather

Postby markwilding » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:09 pm

El Cid wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:06 pm It's usually cooler on the coast. During the recent heatwave the coastal temperatures here were normal - around 32c. It's more humid than inland because the wind usually comes off the sea. Incidentally the sea temperature at the moment is 29c which is 5 degrees above normal. That will give rise to some serious storms (Gota Fria etc) in due course..

That said, yesterday was the hottest day of the year so far at just under 40c.

Sid
I drove back home from the costa Blanca yesterday and the weather kept changing as we went, started very warm on the coast but we stopped for lunch about 150 KLMs north of Valencia, 100 KLMS south of Zaragoza, it had gone down to 25C. It was quite windy and we could see brown dust in the air in the distance. As we got to Zaragoza, it had risen to almost 40C but dropped again to 25C as we approached Bilbao around 5.30 in the afternoon. It was cloudy all the way,

I went for a walk today at around midday and the weather was pleasant, warm with a cool breeze but not warm enough for most people to go the beach.

I find it really odd that most of Spain and the UK are experiencing really hot weather, but we in-between are not.

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Re: Weather

Postby patricia » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 am

Worst year I have ever known for heat. For nearly two months I have hardly done a thing except the basics. I hope it itsnt going to be like this every year. The summer gets longer and longer and hotter and hotter. :problem: Thank god for Aircon. but even then my aircon struggles in the lounge with two hallways leading off the an open plan kitchen. :wtf: I was hoping there would be a plus and I would have lost some weight but not one ounce. :thumbdown:
Torrox Costa "El mejor clima de Europa"

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:25 am

Well around me we had olive groves and what was just countryside and then a few months ago, there were tractors and all sorts of machinery and they were digging up the whole of the area and taking down trees etc - I lost my little Owl I saw each morning on my walks - and they have planted Mango trees on every bit of it. The whole area is now just Mango trees. Including to the side of me, mango's have been planted. :thumbdown:

There must be an awful lot of people wanting to buy mango's and I expect they are sending them overseas.
Last edited by patricia on Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:12 pm

Heavy curtains on those two hallways for the summer?

patricia
Andalucia Guru

Postby patricia » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:25 pm

olive wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:12 pm Heavy curtains on those two hallways for the summer?
Good idea. Well one has go a door so I can shut that the other is fine except it leads into the kitchen which is open plan and has no door. But worth thinking about. Phew hot work sitting at the computer as well.

Thank you Olive for your response.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:44 pm

my observations are that last year and this year have been hotter than previous ones ... I see wild strawberries, physalis, tomatoes, green herbs like basil, parsley, coriander really struggling to stay alive ... previously they thrived here ... now they dont ... and I am having to rethink what to plant which can cope with increased heat and drought ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:01 pm

As Patricia says, the hills here have been filled with mango trees and land is still being terraced and new water depositos installed (a huge one was put up around the corner just last week).

Our neighbour down the hill came up with an absolute classic solution .... he's cutting down his thirsty avocados and will be replacing them with the slightly less thirsty mangoes :shock: . Honestly, you couldn't make it up. I realise this is their livelihood but at the moment there is little water in the system.

I estimate our immediate neighbour Paco puts around 8-10m3 on his 200 trees every day, by calculating how quickly he drains our (now) shared water deposito. At least we do now have water at our house today :thumbup: but Paco says the water company is restricting him to about 20m3 each week at the moment. Enough for us, but as yet he has not restarted irrigating those dreaded trees!

The whole of Europe looks very parched with major rivers running low. It is a worrying situation if we don't start to have some rain this winter.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:21 pm

Our neighbours well used to ble to deliver a prodigious amount of water in a day . 40 cu m, 80 cu m , there seemed no limit.

So he and two of his neighbours , teamed up and put irrigation pipe network to cover bout 600 sizeable olive trees. After several years they have given up. It only now delivers 6 cu metres a day. The maintenance ( leaks, blocked pipes) outweighs any advantage.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:48 pm

I think the aquifers are running dry olive. Our friend's well now only manages to draw up about 1m3 at a time every few days. From what I understand about these underground water reserves, they take many years to replenish. I wonder how drinking water companies like Lanjaron are faring, They must take huge amounts every day.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:07 pm

Farmers can’t lose wether they sell their Mangos or not. Recently announced Spain will receive 64.5 million Euro for Agriculture crisis fund. Actually the ones from Caribbean and S. America taste better and competitive prices too.