Banks

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Banks

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:19 am

I use cash on a daily basis for stuff like a coffee or a couple of beers, loaf of bread maybe.
For anything over say 10 euros I'll use a debit card, filling up the car for example (in itself a major trauma inducing activity) or a big shop, everything else comes directly from my bank by direct debit, I do like cash though and personally i don't see any benefits of paying by card after all it's just another form of monetary exchange and I do sympathise with older people, the technology sometimes passes them by.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:42 am

Technology will be a prob for oldies forever, no matter if they grew up in the digital world or not. Forgetfullnes comes to everyone, pin numbers/passwords are all memory probs and the sequences of passwords are not easy to remember, i'm forever having to reset some of mine.The worst is when people end up locking themselves out of their bank account, a palava to sort it out..Not easy at best of times.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:04 am

On the rare occasions I go back to the UK I am like an old person examining all the coins in my purse trying to work out what's what :clap: I think I read that in the UK you can't use cash on buses any more? It seems that you do have to have a contactless card in order to function these days.

I think the contactless option has changed things a lot as, apart from our main food shop, we don't usually spend over 50€ so it's quick and easy just to flash the debit card even for very small purchases. Before, when every transaction was needing a PIN, I would always have used cash.

I must have 50 different passwords and some usernames too. I admit I have to have them written down. The ones I use regularly I tend to remember but then the other day I used my phone PIN instead of my card PIN, so it can be confusing :crazy: the heat is addling my brain a bit this summer I think. I do try to remember all the long numbers I use for the bank etc just to keep my brain active as it doesn't seem to get used much these days :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:16 pm

Not many seem to want cash in UK. Local Pub most pay by card for just one drink. Couple of glasses a wine when you pop in and masses of transactions over a few weeks :mrgreen: Does make you realise though where the money goes. Realised our local is a rip off. £7.25 for a large glass of house wine :roll: Even people doing odd jobs want a payment doing into their account.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:55 pm

Probs paying for the whole bottle katy.. :lol:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm

katy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:16 pm Not many seem to want cash in UK. Local Pub most pay by card for just one drink. Couple of glasses a wine when you pop in and masses of transactions over a few weeks :mrgreen: Does make you realise though where the money goes. Realised our local is a rip off. £7.25 for a large glass of house wine :roll: Even people doing odd jobs want a payment doing into their account.
And one can have a whole bottle of wine at the table on the terrace of the Hotel Reina Isabel, Las Palmas for 9 euros and that's a four star hotel I can get 1 pitiful glass for that price in Helsinki, then again in Finland our tax euros are used for the benefit of the population :thumbup: !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:41 pm

I'll expect to share a bottle with you when I land there Manchesteral :lol: :wink:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:08 pm

katy wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:41 pm I'll expect to share a bottle with you when I land there Manchesteral :lol: :wink:
At that price you're more than welcome :D !

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:21 pm

That's an unbelievable price for a large glass of wine. When I was in the UK in May I didn't see anything that pricey but then I only ate out once. I'd rather just buy something from the supermarket as beer and wine isn't too badly priced. I usually eat and drink and entertain where I stay rather than go out as I find the prices are a bit too steep.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:10 pm

We do tend to drink in each others houses but on a couple of evenings a large group of us meets at the pub. Or garden right now.Friday evening there was 10 of us plus know more who were in so its more social. Good crowd and mix of age groups. It is more expensive than a lot of London bars though.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:12 pm

Wicksey wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:21 pm That's an unbelievable price for a large glass of wine. When I was in the UK in May I didn't see anything that pricey but then I only ate out once. I'd rather just buy something from the supermarket as beer and wine isn't too badly priced. I usually eat and drink and entertain where I stay rather than go out as I find the prices are a bit too steep.
Standard uk pricing. Novotel at brum airport £11 for a large glass recently. In Liverpool at the moment and a large glass at the hotel is £8 or £9 for the red.

On a recent trip to Norfolk our hotel (nicish 3 star), meal (average) and wine was twice the price of our recent half board at a good parador. Hospitality inflation in the uk is barmy!!,!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am

Those prices are unreal, I simply wouldn't pay that. Inflation is high here too and the food shopping is noticeably higher. However, you can still get a 3 course menu del dia including a drink and bread for under 11€ on the costa here, and even a 'posher' (for us) meal the other week only charged 2.50€ for a tinto de verano (the glasses of vino 2.50-3.50€ a glass).

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:08 pm

Yes wine is cheaper but a lot of those 3 course meals are not what you would expect.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:46 am

We don't see the point in buying a meal out when we are here close to the village, with every drink comes a free tapa and plentiful of good quality..With 11 bars in a village of under 2,500 population there is alot of competition, all serve good tapas, that's what the locals go out for. :lol: A night out is around 15 euros between 2 of us...Fed and watered :lol: .I don't know the price of wine, got enough of it on tap at the house from the vines, i'm wined out.. :D

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:51 am

Business taxes, wages increases due to a shortage of staff in the hospitaility industry due covid and brexit,import costs all help increase prices. Ontop of the good rip off britian mentalilty of any excuse to put up prices. Theres something to be said for being tee total!!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:34 am

The menu del dia we get is very nice with prawn pilpil starter and a fish brocheta or lenguado and home made chips for main. It's simple stuff but good quality. I know some places are pretty basic and not very good quality. We don't usually drink when we go out anyway and only have a sin alcohol beer with our meal. My 'posh' meal was for my birthday and I had a tinto de verano with it but generally I don't drink when we go out. One of us is always driving and we like to buy a bottle to share at home over a couple of nights with something nice I've made. In the past when we have treated ourselves to a glass of wine out it's not been that great, so I'll stick to what I know is good and drink at home.

Pamela you're lucky in Granada that you get the free tapa with a drink, that doesn't happen here in Malaga. I remember when we stayed in Ubeda once it was our first experience of that and was quite surprised to be given free food. We don't usually go out for drinks, it was just that we were on holiday. We have a meal out perhaps once every 2 weeks, but we never go out just for a drink or coffee, it's just not something we've ever done.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:09 am

Yes Wicksey we are lucky...free tapas are a way of life here, if people are served their drinks and the tapas are taking ages to come out the Spanish soon let them know but not in a bad way :lol: :lol: Another thing is if you become a local to certain bars it's often a drink on the house.. Nice people in this area...Or as the locals would say muy buena gente..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:48 am

Wicksey wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:34 am

Pamela you're lucky in Granada that you get the free tapa with a drink, that doesn't happen here in Malaga.
We are East Of Malaga city and most little Spanish bars in Rincon give a nice free tapa. All give crisps and olives

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:20 pm

As I say, we rarely go out for a alcoholic drink. I used to go for a cuppa after dancing many moons ago and the place we went to in Nerja used to give you a little tiny cake with it, or you get a biscuit. A salty snack probably makes you thirsty for another beer!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:06 pm

elusive wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:51 am Business taxes, wages increases due to a shortage of staff in the hospitaility industry due covid and brexit,import costs all help increase prices. Ontop of the good rip off britian mentalilty of any excuse to put up prices. Theres something to be said for being tee total!!
Waitrose cheap plonk (Spanish Australian, Chile etc) has been £4.99 for at least 4 years. Tesco has cheaper so the pubs wine cannot blame import costs. There is a shortage of Chefs around here.
Have to go back on my £7.25. It was £6.25 Remembered I told her to add £1 as she is my fav bar server and I commented I hadn't tipped for a while due to no cash. I just go with my phone and a card tucked in phone case. No bag or purse. Everyone else I know the same.
Not just a British thing though looking at charts. USA inflation 9.1% and Netherlands very high. They are doing it because they have something to blame be it Covid, Ukraine, etc