It's RAINING!!!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: It's RAINING!!!

Postby Flashman » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:13 pm

houses flooded in Lecrin Valley!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:40 am

Still raining here. Streams have begun to flow with water. We need more. The reservoirs are still low.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:17 am

we seem to be having one day of rain ... then clear and sunny ... today back to rain ... but a weirdly warm 16!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:56 am

Warm here, too. A few Spring flowers are out!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:46 pm

much as I want rivers and stream to be replenished ... I dread the reservoir increasing in volume ... cos the farmers will say 'see it always rains eventually ... so we can go on planting/growing (water hungry) mangos and avocados' ...

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:45 pm

Our neighbours in the river valley report that their well has water in it for the first time since June. Very warm in the sun now it's just come out. More rain forecast for next week and I'm not complaining, although it took me a while to remember how the windscreen wipers work on the car. Our two cars have different controls and by the time I got the intermittent working how I wanted it to on Friday, I was home!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:47 pm

and the problem is ... one cant burn stuff when there is no rain ... and one cant burn stuff when there is too much rain!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:03 pm

:lol: Sounds like you are a bit fed-up. :lol:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:04 pm

yes! ... dont like being trapped indoors ... and rain welcome but how long to dry?!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:40 pm

Tomorrow the forecast is 84.1mm of rain. Today is only a mere drop at 18.8mm and Wednesday is 16.5mm with a respite on Thursday of 3.1mm and then a splash of 20.5mm on Friday and then a dry weekend. I have never seen 84.1mm forecast before. It will be interesting to see what we actually get.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:13 pm

84.1mm - that's about 3 inches in old money - should do some good !
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:16 pm

We had that sort of rainfall about 10 years ago. It was truly horrible. Created a lot of damage in our area. There was very little wind and the local weather station at Loja recorded very little rain that day. It was a bit of a problem as the insurance company used that figure. After a lot of tenacity they paid up. The photo of a a twenty metre section of reinforced concrete road washed some distance into a neighbours olive grove helped.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:08 pm

The rain on Friday in Rincon and La Cala was the heaviest I have ever seen. Saturday the sun was out.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:42 pm

olive: I remember that storm ... November 2012 ... a day never to be forgotten ... the stream here was an absolute raging torrent ... water and debris pouring down the drive ... luckily it passed by the house ... but the mud and mess it left in the garden! ... and we had to bail out the pool ... council had to bring bulldozer to clear the debris left in the lane above us ... etc etc etc

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:49 pm

Torrential rain and quite a bit of flooding and some damage to main roads:
https://www.elperiodicoextremadura.com/ ... 90974.html

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:34 pm

Anyone who was here in the late 1990s will remember the constant monsoon rains we used to have. They washed everything away, including the motorway around Malaga where one bridge had collapsed and there was a huge landslip on the other carriageway. It was shut for ages and we used to have to drive through Malaga to get from the airport for a while. Houses were washed down the hill, swimming pools disappeared. There was a huge amount of damage around here.

I do remember that really bad rain in 2012 as well. Our road washed away and no one could get down our hill for a few days. It was just a pile of rocks and impassable. It's been all cemented now and so there's a lot less to wash away, although there's all the new terracing for casitas and tree planting that's been done in recent years which can slide down the hills.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:42 pm

2012 was a bad year for us as well. Our access lane was under water — two arroyos cross it and there are concrete bridges but both were under water. It took four weeks for the level of water to drop sufficiently for the car to pass. Walking in wellies to and from the village was our only option. It was hilarious but only because it was exceptionally mild so getting wet from mid-thigh down was not a disaster.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:04 am

Wicksey wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:34 pm Anyone who was here in the late 1990s will remember the constant monsoon rains we used to have. They washed everything away, including the motorway around Malaga where one bridge had collapsed and there was a huge landslip on the other carriageway. It was shut for ages and we used to have to drive through Malaga to get from the airport for a while. Houses were washed down the hill, swimming pools disappeared. There was a huge amount of damage around here.

I do remember that really bad rain in 2012 as well. Our road washed away and no one could get down our hill for a few days. It was just a pile of rocks and impassable. It's been all cemented now and so there's a lot less to wash away, although there's all the new terracing for casitas and tree planting that's been done in recent years which can slide down the hills.
I remember the bridge going into Nerja being washed away.