Eroski check-out system

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Eroski check-out system

Postby gavilan » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:17 pm

I went to Eroski yesterday ... thought to do a major shop before the heavens opened (as they have now) ... dismayed to find ...not only was I herded into an airport style snake queue where a machine directed me to an available cashier ... also dismayed to see they have installed one of those diy automatic machine things ... I suspect they are going to bring in more of those diy machines ... so cutting down on staffing costs ... if they do that I will not be shopping in Eroski ever again ... I am a human being and I like meeting other human beings ...

ps I have been going to Eroski cos they have a wide range of organic products ... someone told me that Aldi or Lidl have similar products ... so I will go there in future ... I am also planning to print a leaflet explaining my objections to aforesaid developments and distribute them to all staff and information desk etc in Eroski if I find it has been taken over by machines ... I am not a robot!!!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: Eroski check-out system

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:20 pm

Correct, they have changed the check-out system.
Much more efficient using the single queue multiple server system and self-check-out is great for when I buy just a few items.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:45 pm

gerryh wrote : 'self-check-out is great for when I buy just a few items.' ... there always was a designated check-out for less than 10 items.

...'much more efficient' ... not for the staff who will be made redundant ... and 'shame on you Eroski' ... origins as a co-operative with staff sharing in decisions ... I assume that latter has been dropped in favour of 'efficiency'
https://es-m-wikipedia-org.translate.go ... _tr_pto=sc

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:50 pm

I agree with Gerry, the single queue system, like in Carrefour, is much more efficient. I usually invariably get in the slowest queue otherwise. I don't think they've cut back on the number of cash tills, they have simply added the self checkout areas at one end for those with less than 10 items. I always use the self check out tills if I can as it's much quicker when you only have a couple of items. In fact yesterday there were 3 staff hanging around in there helping out if people needed it. I'm quite a whizz at it now.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:53 pm

so ... what do you both do with all the time you have saved?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:29 pm

I agree, it’s a much better system. In time, supermarkets will introduce completely automatic systems where the item is noted when you put it in your trolly and having swiped your credit card on the way in, you just walk out of the shop.

Such stores already exist with Amazon (as usual) leading the way.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/new ... es-it-work

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:47 pm

I saw that a shop in London was trialing that Sid but it looks open to abuse. I think a lot of shops now weigh fruit and veg at the till as people were understating the weight or putting a cheaper item on the label .... you just can't trust people!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:06 pm

To think, I had a Sauturday job in the first supermarket chain to have self service. You took things off shelves and put them into a trolley or basket. I worked on the deli and butchers depts in the summer. Theymust have put the prices of the cheese etc on the bags much like Some Spanish supers do now.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:41 pm

Wicksey ... maybe cheating on the prices/weights of fruit and veg is the only way people can afford to buy/eat such in London thses days!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:02 pm

I meant here Gavilan as well! Mercadona used to trust you to weigh the items yourself but now they do it at the till. I think fruit and veg here is expensive sometimes, but then everything here has gone up a lot. I try to buy local and in season when I can.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:04 pm

Eroski here has had this system for ages and Carrefour has had it even longer. It’s a much fairer system. If someone wants to chat, just go to one of their smaller supermarkets. Not everyone has time on their hands to spend time shopping as these days both men and women work and I would say they don’t want to spend any more time than necessary in a busy supermarket.

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:23 pm

What is Spanish for "unwanted item in the bagging area " ?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:41 pm

Lyric wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:23 pm What is Spanish for "unwanted item in the bagging area " ?
:clap:
The assistant that came over and checked I was coping OK gave me a hearty 'muy bien' when I completed the purchase :lol: I think a lot of people struggle with the self service. My friend made me do hers for her as she says she just panics when she uses them.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:03 am

Get used to it. In the UK this has been in operation for years in shops and banks and Spain will surely follow.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:23 pm

I'm in UK, & never use the auto tills if I can possibly help it ! Some stores (eg Waitrose) have speed / basket tills with people which is much better ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:23 pm

chrissiehope: glad to hear I am not alone!

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:36 pm

and an interesting review of those check out yourself machines

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... il-walmart

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:38 pm

I don't use self checkout machines if I can avoid them. I'm not trusted to self certify myself as being over 18, so why should I be trusted as an untrained checkout operator? It's not for our convenience, it is to improve their profits so that shareholders can take the wages of the checkout operators.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Postby gavilan » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:41 pm

I am with you all the way, knowal!