VTAR license vs Casa Rurales license

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
MiraelCorazon
Tourist

VTAR license vs Casa Rurales license

Postby MiraelCorazon » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:11 pm

Good afternoon, everyone!

My wife and I are searching for a remote property to buy in Malaga - Marbella area.

Once we acquire the property we were also thinking of renting it (by rooms or as a whole when we are away) so since it's a "remote" property we will need (from what I understand) to apply for either VTAR license (no more rent than 90 days per year) or "casa rurales" (if we want to rent more than 90 days per year).

Hopefully, someone can help me to clarify some questions:

1. Let's say we buy a property with 3 rooms and by living in one we would love to rent the other 2. Does VTAR license 90 days rule (when you can't rent more than 90 days in a year) apply for the whole building (so both 2 rooms can't be rented more than 90 days in a year) or only for each room on a property so each room can be rented 90 days per year.

2. Still related to the 1st question - if we have more than 1 room to rent do we need to get the license for each room or is it 1 license for the whole property and then you rent as many rooms as you want?

3. Let's say we buy a property with land, install 2 small 3x3 cottages and rent it. Do we need a license for each cottage or it's one license for the whole land?

4. If we want to rent more than 90 days a year is there any way around it without applying for "casa rurales" license?

5. When I read about VTAR license it says that this type of license has to be obtained not only in a remote area but also in villages with less than 20000 people. Is it true? So even if you have a small townhouse but the population ini the village is less than 20000 people you can't rent it more than 90 days a year?

6. Does someone have experience with applying for casa rurales license? I heard that it might be difficult and might take up to 6 years to get it (since a lot of authorities inspections have to be done) and just would like to gear from real life experience "how much difficult" as it might affect our decision on which property to buy.

I know it's a lot of questions but really hope someone can help! :crazy:

Thank you in advance!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: VTAR license vs Casa Rurales license

Postby Lavanda » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:37 am

Hola MiraelCorazon and welcome to the forum. I live in Extremadura where the rules are a bit different and so cannot actually help you, However, I can encourage you by writing that although all the paperwork seems incomprehensible and impenetrable to start with, there is always some one on this forum that comes along to help. Good luck with your plans.