Pop up canpies / tents / pergolas?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Pop up canpies / tents / pergolas?

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:32 pm

Has anyone seen anything for sale in the shops yet? I saw some in carrefour, but they seemed expensive ?

Lidl are selling a 'party tent' for 120 euro. I wanna park my née car inside it.

We are in the campo, I would like to build something solid, a car port, out of metal bars with a proper roof, but I don't know if I'm allowed ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pop up canpies / tents / pergolas?

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:23 pm

ive found a shop online selling "beach tents" for 29€ with 8€postage.. so thats an option.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:53 pm

We used pop up gazeboes over the years for shade during building work. They all ultimately met the same fate. Strong winds end up blowing them away and destroying the pop up framework or they collapsed because they were anchored. Great product for one off events but not for a car port. How about a wooden structure ie “ not permanent”?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:50 pm

We have an 8m X 8m car port with a timbered top - no cover at all. It is supported by 9 brick pillars. A few years ago the whole lot blew down in a severe gale. Absolute carnage - two smashed up cars. One of those Lidl tents will blow away in a mild breeze.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:33 pm

We put up a simple sun shade for the summer. Once the winter winds get up we take it down. We put some eyelets into the house wall and then cemented a couple of fence posts into the ground the other side and use a black mesh sunscreen, about 4x5m I think which we tie into the supports on the wall and tie to the posts. I admit it isn't particularly pretty but the first screen lasted about 9 years. We take it down about November time. I did sew material onto the two edges where the ropes tie on which helps to stop it tearing. It covers our two cars OK and is a lot cooler under the shade.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:11 am

olive wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:53 pm We used pop up gazeboes over the years for shade during building work. They all ultimately met the same fate. Strong winds end up blowing them away and destroying the pop up framework or they collapsed because they were anchored. Great product for one off events but not for a car port. How about a wooden structure ie “ not permanent”?
Yeah I see what you mean olive, they are not meant to be anything other than shade for a couple of hours. I´ve seen the wooden ones - there used to be a place by us selling them for €99... now i´ve seen them in Bauhaus for €700.. I was thinking of going to the timber yard and pricing up to make one myself?
El Cid wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:50 pm We have an 8m X 8m car port with a timbered top - no cover at all. It is supported by 9 brick pillars. A few years ago the whole lot blew down in a severe gale. Absolute carnage - two smashed up cars. One of those Lidl tents will blow away in a mild breeze.

Sid
jeeesus Cid.. when you put it like that i dont want anything near them hahaha
Wicksey wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:33 pm We put up a simple sun shade for the summer. Once the winter winds get up we take it down. We put some eyelets into the house wall and then cemented a couple of fence posts into the ground the other side and use a black mesh sunscreen, about 4x5m I think which we tie into the supports on the wall and tie to the posts. I admit it isn't particularly pretty but the first screen lasted about 9 years. We take it down about November time. I did sew material onto the two edges where the ropes tie on which helps to stop it tearing. It covers our two cars OK and is a lot cooler under the shade.
I saw something like that, and we already have the fencing around the garden, its an idea I was thinking of to be fair. The "fence material" (malla de ocultacion) is cheap, and it would keep the cars from being in the sun

To be fair, the area we are in can be a bit windy, I mean not to the extent that anything blows down, but we wouldn´t wanna put washing out in it. We are the last house in the group, so we get battered on two sides - ive got the malla all around and its holding up ok, it does blow about a bit, but not to the extent that the fence is falling over or anything.

Thanks for the ideas guys, it gives me something to think about.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:54 am

https://jardin202.com/ocultacion/mallas ... m_de_ancho

This is the type of thing we have. Strangely, although it's black, it works really well. According to my accounts we bought the last one in 2019 and it was 17€, so the first one had lasted about 8 years. As I said, I did reinforce the sides with a strip of material sewn on where it's tied as it does almost take off in the winds, but it is securely fastened to the house wall and the two metal posts. Whatever you do, it does need to be secure in the winds that we get!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:15 am

we´ve had a couple of those "triangle" shades before, for the patio, they tend to rip everything out the wall when its windy

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:52 pm

Perhaps because they are a more solid material? The black mesh does tend to let the wind through a bit more, but you will need secure fastenings whatever you use!